Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sway bar bushing material effect on roll stiffness

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 01:49 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Sway bar bushing material effect on roll stiffness

I recently swapped to VBP's T1 poly sway bar bushings front and rear thinking they would be of some benefit, but since then the car has much more oversteer.
I did some digging and came up with this theory posted in some fancy chassis tuning article:

By switching to polyurethane, you effectively make your bar think it's 20-25% larger in diameter due to reduced deflection in rubber mounts. This will also speed up the bars reaction time.
I'm on T1 bars and try to run the rear as soft as possible.
Did I just effectively and noticeably increase the rear roll stiffness by swapping to fresh poly bushings in the rear?

Last edited by sperkins; 10-15-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 369 Likes on 305 Posts

Theory aside, how did you install them? How tight is the bar in the bushing? If you clamped it real tight it will change the bar quite a bit. It's possible one bar is loose and the other tight, if you didn't check. I had to put a washer between the mount halves to get mine equal. This is on a C4, not sure how the mounts work on your year. Do the bars rotate freely?

The grease would come out of mine pretty quickly, I added zerks. It's possible one bar is greased better than the other?
Old 10-15-2010, 02:00 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

I should have mentioned that they are shimmed.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:01 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Interesting question . I have a similar question that maybe I can piggyback on yours. Does anyone else have issues with the rear sway bar clunking loudly when transitioning from one direction to another. I guess it's just seizing up in my poly bushings and instead of sliding smoothly it's suddenly popping from one side to the other. Pretty annoying. I lube the bushings frequently and have washers spacing out my brackets so they aren't too tight on the bushings.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Put shaft collars on the inside of each mount so the bar doesn't slide.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:00 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

the bushings don't change bar stiffness at all. Once the car has rolled over onto the bar there won't be a change in rate. What does change is how far the car rolls before it it loads the bar. Stiff bushing = immediately on the bar, soft bushing = wallows over until the compliance is taken up.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:58 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Put shaft collars on the inside of each mount so the bar doesn't slide.
Good idea. Thanks.

Originally Posted by mgarfias
the bushings don't change bar stiffness at all. Once the car has rolled over onto the bar there won't be a change in rate. What does change is how far the car rolls before it it loads the bar. Stiff bushing = immediately on the bar, soft bushing = wallows over until the compliance is taken up.
Yes, as long as the bar is free to turn in the bushings that should be correct.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/1154/=9ait8p

NP! Link above for them. Beware the places selling two for $75 in a "kit". Nice $60 mark up!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:15 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/1154/=9ait8p

NP! Link above for them. Beware the places selling two for $75 in a "kit". Nice $60 mark up!
Which material do you suggest?

Does front need them also?
Old 10-16-2010, 01:20 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

With T1s do you guys shim the front bar with washers too, or just the rear? If you take the endlinks loose, but leave the bar clamped in place, should you be able to easily rotate the bar?

On a stock car with stock bushings and bars the bushings clamp tight. However, with T1s everyone recommends shimming... why?
Old 10-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

With my C4 I have found the front bar slides side to side very little (3/8"), but I put bar collars on anyways. The rear bar really slides around, it goes about as far was it can and hits the rear wheel well (1"). I would think you guys with C5's would have different movement, though if you notice any at all I would use bar collars. I use aluminum collars from the link above. I have always been amazed there is no mention of this or an install kit, sold with sway bars.

Travisnd, stock bushings are rubber and must be clamped tight so that they twist. Poly won't twist, so the bar cannot be captured so tightly. I shim the bar so that it rotates freely with poly, and use bar collars. Depending on what grease you use you will feel the stickiness of it resisting movement. I don't think collars are needed with rubber bushings.

I tried that thick suspension grease and found that it didn't stay long. I've also found that it's difficult to clean away and replace. Dirt gets it so sticky it's like tape glue. I switched to using what I use for chassis lube, Redline synthetic grease. I also put zerks in. Here's a pic:

Old 10-16-2010, 10:38 AM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

The bushings affect stabilizer bar "effectiveness". Completely rigid bushings would be 100% effective. Rubber bushings can be 50%. What's happening? The rubber bushing is deflecting, which reduces the torsional deflection (stiffness) of the bar.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
I'm on T1 bars and try to run the rear as soft as possible.

Did I just effectively and noticeably increase the rear roll stiffness by swapping to fresh poly bushings in the rear?
The short answer is yes, changing from rubber to poly will effectively increase the stiffness of the bar. The roll stiffnes of the sway bar SYSTEM is based on the rate of the bar as well as the compliance in the end links and in the bar mounts. Stiffening or softening any compoent will change the effective stiffness of the system. How much change in going from rubber to poly is based on how much roll angle is present, the width of the spacing of the bushings on the bar, the length of the bar overall and the spring rate of the bushings. While a rule of thumb is a nice thing, as you go to heavier cars with big sway bars, the amount of deflection in the bushings can have a very large impact on overall roll stiffness.

The rear bar is softer, but it could be that the rear rubber bushings were softer to start with (either thicker or of a softer material) when compared to the front bushings, and the change in mount stiffness, as a percentage of overall stiffness turned out to greater in the rear than the front. That is what is throwing off the balance. The easy fix might be to put the rubber back into the rear sway bar and then tune it with the bar length adjustment to get the balance back.

The comment about rubber bushings having slop and essentially no stiffness until the slop is taken out is not correct. Rubber bushings are generally clamped (I know that's not the case with the C5, but bear with me here for a bit) and bushings that are clamped are just more complex in that at low loads (loads below the clamping load) they have infinite mount stiffness. That is, at loads below the clamping load there is no motion in the mounts at all. After that the bushing is a spring that is non-linear since rubber doesn't have a linear force deflection curve. The clamped bushing also has a torsional stiffness of the bushing that is added to the oveall sway bar stiffness. This can be considerable, and that's why in some cases changing to poly doesn't change the stiffness as much as one might think since a lubricated poly bushing doesn't have this component of the stiffness in the equation anymore. As we have talked about in these threads before the amount of stiffness in a rubber mounted bar can be significantly effected by the clamping load on the bar.

Unclamped, free turning rubber bushings, like those found on the C5 have a spring rate based on the stiffness of the rubber and that is non-linear, but it is real and measurable and in these cases the engineers tend to use a stiffer rubber to make sure that the loading is more linear than a softer rubber bushing that is clamped. Changing from poly to rubber in a C5 is a major change since the change in mount stiffness is the only aspect in play here and it is pretty big because we are talking about pretty large sway bars.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:45 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

My memory is not what it used to be, but having owned both a c4 and a c5 and having shimmed the clamps on both and changed bars on both, I have to ask why you are saying the fastening systems are different?

C4 you call clamped & c5 unclamped?

Can you post a pic or illustration?

As I recall on my 1996 LT4 and my 2004 C5Z the (stock) bars are fastened to the sub frames the same. With clamps like shown in the (Aardwolf) pic above.

Sizes of the bars and the rubber isloators varied with the suspension options over the years.

The isolators (GM term) have a cut or split at one spot & you open it up & slip it over the bar & it closes. They are different sizes for different diameter bars. The metal clamp goes over the isolator and tightens (clamps) down. If you want it less tight you add washers between the clamp & the surface it snugs down onto.

Or am I not understanding something? Maybe you meant C6's? I have not owned one of those so am not sure if they changed the sway bar fastenings.

Last edited by froggy47; 10-16-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:57 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

but since then the car has much more oversteer.
don't discount all the weight you shifted to the rear since you have been jenny craig'ing the car and running those big 100 lb fuel loads
Old 10-16-2010, 02:50 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
My memory is not what it used to be, but having owned both a c4 and a c5 and having shimmed the clamps on both and changed bars on both, I have to ask why you are saying the fastening systems are different?

C4 you call clamped & c5 unclamped?

Can you post a pic or illustration?

As I recall on my 1996 LT4 and my 2004 C5Z the (stock) bars are fastened to the sub frames the same. With clamps like shown in the (Aardwolf) pic above.

Sizes of the bars and the rubber isloators varied with the suspension options over the years.

The isolators (GM term) have a cut or split at one spot & you open it up & slip it over the bar & it closes. They are different sizes for different diameter bars. The metal clamp goes over the isolator and tightens (clamps) down. If you want it less tight you add washers between the clamp & the surface it snugs down onto.

Or am I not understanding something? Maybe you meant C6's? I have not owned one of those so am not sure if they changed the sway bar fastenings.

As you noted, on a C4 the bar is clamped in the rubber "isolators" and the clamping load is sufficient that the bar does not rotate unless it twists the rubber. On my 2004 C5Z, the isolator is lubricated and, while there is some clamping of the rubber, the inside of the bushing has lubricant in it and has some plastic "teeth" that look like the hook side of velcro to retain the lubricant. As a result, the bar can rotate without putting torsional loads into the bushing. That's what I meant. There is a bit of compression in the bushing, but it isn't near what it is on a C4, and the bar rotates in the lubricated bushing on a C5.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:04 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by drivinhard
don't discount all the weight you shifted to the rear since you have been jenny craig'ing the car and running those big 100 lb fuel loads
Yeah I've been meaning to talk to you about that. Last weekend was the first time I've run with a full fuel load so maybe that's what the difference is and I'll have to change my driving style. The car wasn't loose on corner exit, but mainly on entry which would confirm or support your theory. I may take a slightly different ballast approach than you and load my tunnel area more and the rear a little less than I had planned - maybe 50/50 between the two. I always felt like braking/entry was one of my few strong points. I need to set the car up to find the right mix between entry and exit. Either way, I have to get some more right side weight as my split is not good at the moment.

Get notified of new replies

To Sway bar bushing material effect on roll stiffness

Old 10-16-2010, 10:27 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

With my C4 I have found the front bar slides side to side very little (3/8"), but I put bar collars on anyways. The rear bar really slides around, it goes about as far was it can and hits the rear wheel well (1"). I would think you guys with C5's would have different movement, though if you notice any at all I would use bar collars. I use aluminum collars from the link above. I have always been amazed there is no mention of this or an install kit, sold with sway bars.

Travisnd, stock bushings are rubber and must be clamped tight so that they twist. Poly won't twist, so the bar cannot be captured so tightly. I shim the bar so that it rotates freely with poly, and use bar collars. Depending on what grease you use you will feel the stickiness of it resisting movement. I don't think collars are needed with rubber bushings.

I tried that thick suspension grease and found that it didn't stay long. I've also found that it's difficult to clean away and replace. Dirt gets it so sticky it's like tape glue. I switched to using what I use for chassis lube, Redline synthetic grease. I also put zerks in. Here's a pic:

Unless the hole made in the bar collar for the zerk go completely through the rubber bushing, the grease has no where to go and will have no effect, will it?
Old 10-17-2010, 12:02 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The car wasn't loose on corner exit, but mainly on entry
have to bring up harry every now and then
Old 10-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by Falcon
Unless the hole made in the bar collar for the zerk go completely through the rubber bushing, the grease has no where to go and will have no effect, will it?
Yes I drilled through the bushing mount, through the poly bushing, then made a very slight groove around the ID connected to the hole.

Quick Reply: Sway bar bushing material effect on roll stiffness