Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SDF Said "C4 just don't get any love"

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 06:35 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default SDF Said "C4 just don't get any love"

Well I say they do damn it. Scott's car is clean as they come, minus a leaking rear end. Here are some of the pictures of the project so far.

We will just put this here for now.....
Old 10-15-2010, 07:30 PM
SDF
Burning Brakes

Wow! Let the fun begin!! Thanks for the pics Randy!!
Old 10-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Nice! What projects are all going on?
Old 10-16-2010, 09:28 AM
SDF
Burning Brakes

Aardwolf,
We are having the engine "freshened" and the rear-end leak corrected. Then a couple of other odds and ends.........DRM is the best! This is the second build they have done for me and I can't wait to see the results!

Scott
Old 10-16-2010, 08:44 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh man...if an engine is apart at DRM you know it's going to be SICK when it goes back together...
Old 10-16-2010, 09:10 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a shame that thing lives right down the road and I haven't seen it. BTW Scott, next weekend is Boo Bash at MAM, you should bring your black car.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:44 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Old 10-16-2010, 11:01 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

With DRM's long racing pedigree you know a C4 is in the right place!
Old 10-16-2010, 11:20 PM
Daniel_Mc
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Very nice!!

Thanks for the pics Randy.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:25 AM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

That was my C4 from 2000 to late 2007...

I'm glad to see it getting the love and attention it deserves

Thanks for letting me know about this thread, Scott

That engine is already over 600 horsepower and was built by a great local builder who used really good parts. About the only upgrade I didn't go for the builder wanted was shaft rockers. I was already $15K on the motor build and at the end of my budget. He spent a lot of time on the port matching and improving the oiling and cooling by running external hoses to get oil back to the pan and coolant to the middle cylinders where heat builds up, also getting steam pockets out of the manifold.

Lots of polished parts on the motor. All of the aluminum suspension including the half shafts I had taken off and polished, too. I guess it's the "waxer" in me

Here's a couple of photos taken shortly before I sold it:

At Reliable Carriers getting ready to ship to a new home:

The '08 Z in the background of the first picture became my new track car for HPDE/TT events. Although it has a lot of refinements I still miss the C4 sometimes. It is a very well prepared and safe race car. Putting a good set of 18" wheels, slicks and a rear wing is exactly what the car needed next. I'm sure Randy and DRM will do an awesome job with it, too. Let me know how it turns out!

Shannon

Last edited by vetracer; 10-17-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:56 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someday if my C4 is lucky, it will make a trip to DRM to get the treatment it deserves! Thanks for supporting the C4s then and now Randy!
Old 10-17-2010, 09:35 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

vetracer,
Doug has said "This engine was built right" about 10 time in the last week. They really did a good job on her. Scott did the right thing and have it opened up and replace a few parts. Engines aren't forever, they do need some love (replacement parts) from time to time. A few tricks from us and this donkey will ready to rock and roll for 2011.

Randy
Old 10-18-2010, 06:48 PM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SDF
Aardwolf,
We are having the engine "freshened" and the rear-end leak corrected. Then a couple of other odds and ends.........DRM is the best! This is the second build they have done for me and I can't wait to see the results!

Scott
Sorry to hijack ..... and the car looks great by the way ...... but this is the perfect group and place to ask this: ....

what are the odds of my '84 hood clearing with a Torker II and Holley w/o horn?

Math says just barely??

TJM

Last edited by TJM; 10-18-2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: sp
Old 10-18-2010, 09:19 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should search in C4 Tech and also post in there, but that said, I believe you have 9.150" to the hood at the front china wall. That is the only spec I have but clearance increases, marginally, from there back.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:26 AM
SDF
Burning Brakes

TJM,
I don't know for sure, but your clearance is going to be really tight at best! I have an Edelbrock "Super Victor" with a 1" spacer between it and the carb. My air cleaner has a "dropped' element for clearance purposes. As you can see in the pic, my hood has a raised center section and even with all that, my clearance is very tight! It does all fit though........

Scott
Old 10-19-2010, 04:04 PM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by SDF
TJM,
I don't know for sure, but your clearance is going to be really tight at best! I have an Edelbrock "Super Victor" with a 1" spacer between it and the carb. My air cleaner has a "dropped' element for clearance purposes. As you can see in the pic, my hood has a raised center section and even with all that, my clearance is very tight! It does all fit though........

Scott
The '84 hood is different than later C4, it had a ram function, Oddly, when comparing with to the other C4s, it seems to have a bit more space, and the Torker is a low profile.

The car is in one place [ 7th week of a two week roll cage install ] the hood in another, and the motor in another. The curse of grassroots racing.

Free parts never really solve the $$$ issues?

TJM
Old 10-24-2010, 03:07 AM
Pizzano
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Well I say they do damn it. Scott's car is clean as they come, minus a leaking rear end. Here are some of the pictures of the project so far.

We will just put this here for now.....
Slick track ride indeed Scott

I have some plans for your ole ex bessy.I am going to try to get her set up for the Silverstate challenge next year out here in Nevada, I have been dabbling a bit with the Ron Fellows driving school at Spring mountain motorsports and hopefully my skills will be up to par by then.

Damn! If DRM wasn't so far away I would ship it to them for the improvements. needed. Time to go racing with the big boys, getting bored watching my buddies autocross every weekend, time to step up.

Take care Scott.

Last edited by Pizzano; 10-24-2010 at 03:10 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To SDF Said "C4 just don't get any love"

Old 11-01-2010, 06:35 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

I have a some other pictures for SDF and DRM's eyes only

Just because it's old doesn't mean we are going to give away all of our secrets. Scott you will have those in the AM, long story....

Randy
Old 11-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,741 Likes on 939 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM

I have a some other pictures for SDF and DRM's eyes only

Just because it's old doesn't mean we are going to give away all of our secrets. Scott you will have those in the AM, long story....

Randy
Randy in this picture is the 90 degree fitting in the side of the block for an accusump? Does the sandwich adapter only flow to the cooler and back? I wanted to do this when I first installed my accusump but didnt know if there was a plug on the side of the block that went directly to the oil galley. Is hat a production L98 block?
Old 11-01-2010, 10:47 PM
1989vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kubs
Randy in this picture is the 90 degree fitting in the side of the block for an accusump? Does the sandwich adapter only flow to the cooler and back? I wanted to do this when I first installed my accusump but didnt know if there was a plug on the side of the block that went directly to the oil galley. Is hat a production L98 block?
Kubs, I'm going to shoot my mouth of with a wag; but if i remember correctly that is a water jacket and is in fact a water port that flows to the factory sandwich adapter. I could be wrong, but that is how mine is setup for the moment.

Quick Reply: SDF Said "C4 just don't get any love"