Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA Drivers - PTA/TTA Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:58 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default NASA Drivers - PTA/TTA Question

I currently have a stock 2002 Z06 that I was planning on running in TTA and eventually moving to PTA. From looking at the rules, I am curious what people think about a 05-07 Z51 for those classes. Before I go dumping money into a car, I want to make sure it is something that will be competitive for a long time and has room to grow if things change.

My gut tells me the C6 would be a little easier to race longer as it is newer so parts will be available further into the future (sounds like LS6 crate engines are getting harder to find), and if I ever went to ST2/TTS, the C6 would probably be a better platform (although that is a long way off). That said, it is the more expensive option and I don't know if it would be competitive with the Z06.

So for those of you in PTA/TTA, if you were doing it over again today, would go with the C5 Z06 or a C6 Z51? Is there a different car/option package I should consider as well?
Old 10-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I'd buy a car prepped to the limit of the rules.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:07 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
I'd buy a car prepped to the limit of the rules.
I agree, but having just gone through this, I know its not always feasable to find a car that is built to the limits. A T1 car would be a great starting point for PTA... C5z or C6 I think is a bit of a toss up. I think the C5Z can take more abuse and is something does go south, the parts are a little cheaper. Plus the cost of entry is a bit less.

I just picked up a built ST2 car that has some kick butt stuff on it, but there is still room for improvement.

There are some pretty good deals to be had now - it is a buyers market!
Old 10-21-2010, 02:16 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I still say a TTB* C5 is the best platform for TTA/PTA.
Base weight is the biggest issue, but there are enough points to deal with that issue. With enough money thrown at it, I really think it would be killer.
It has yet to be proven though and I doubt I'll be the one to do it. $$$
Old 10-21-2010, 02:26 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The C5 coupe has the best aerodynamics. There aren't many advantages to go to a C6 for the classes you mention other than it's a newer car and threfore, in theory, more reliable. But it then also has more "sophisticated" electrical functions to trip you up as you modify and remove the guts.

The bottom line is that they're both winners, find a good deal on either and buy it.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:32 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Listen to Jason, sperkins, and scary!!!!

Shoot I'm going to go from almost last TTB to dead last TTA in my 92 next year
Old 10-21-2010, 02:38 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have always wanted to try one. not enough time or $$. mostly $$

hp/weight very comparable than the C5Z, little better cd aero, stiffer chassis, stiffer spindles, bigger dia rotors, stiffer calipers. all the rest is pretty similar. 01Z LS6 top end, save for the bigger .3L bottom end but crappier LS2 intake.

the biggest question would be the whole package, the C5Z "just works".

would be interesting to try one.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:48 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clubracer6
I agree, but having just gone through this, I know its not always feasable to find a car that is built to the limits. A T1 car would be a great starting point for PTA... C5z or C6 I think is a bit of a toss up. I think the C5Z can take more abuse and is something does go south, the parts are a little cheaper. Plus the cost of entry is a bit less.

I just picked up a built ST2 car that has some kick butt stuff on it, but there is still room for improvement.

There are some pretty good deals to be had now - it is a buyers market!

T1 car would take a lot of demodding to run in PTA. Easy transistion to TTS/ST2 though.

To be honest not one has built a dedicated TTA C6 yet. C5s are still a cheaper option but with crate LS6s drying up - and you will lunch an engine - eventually.

I do not know the status on crate LS2s though. Love the one in the 2005 GTO though.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by varkwso
crate LS2
What's it take to make an LS2 last a couple seasons?
Old 10-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do like Jeff and park it for 1.5 seasons...
Old 10-21-2010, 05:21 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by drivinhard
hp/weight very comparable than the C5Z, little better cd aero
I agree on hp/weight but cd is worse...
C5 coupe is .29
C5Z is .31
C6 is .34 or .35 depending on Z or not
Old 10-21-2010, 05:25 PM
geerookie
Drifting

More than I can afford
Old 10-21-2010, 05:53 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
T1 car would take a lot of demodding to run in PTA. Easy transistion to TTS/ST2 though.
Actually it doesn't take that much to convert a T1 car, depending on how far they are modified. (By that I mean if you start with a C5Z modded to the 2010 SCCA rules with brakes and headers it would be harder to de-mod than a pre 2010 C5Z). We won TTA at NASA Nationals in a de-modded T1 car and it could've ran in PTA with new belts and a seat.

I think that the C5Z/C6 Z51 makes for a better TTA car because of the base weight, but the C5 coupe would make for a better PTA car, you just have more points to use.

If I were building a PTA car from scratch I would use a C5 coupe.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:43 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
the C5 coupe would make for a better PTA car, you just have more points to use.

If I were building a PTA car from scratch I would use a C5 coupe.
Thanks - That's actually what I meant.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:19 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by geerookie
I agree on hp/weight but cd is worse...
C5 coupe is .29
C5Z is .31
C6 is .34 or .35 depending on Z or not
I've seen .28 and .29 for the base C6. The Z06 is much dirtier with the flares and scoops and such

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2005/index.shtml

I have always said you could probably built the fastest TTA car from a base C5 (or a base C6) if you tested/picked the best parts, but it would cost a lot of $$ to build one and would require a lot of testing to get the right parts combination. And you end up eating up a lot of pts to get it down to the weight of 3118 (C5Z)

Last edited by drivinhard; 10-21-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:11 PM
C&M Racing
Instructor

I have a C6 LS2 and run T1 were we are allowed to run dry sump and aftermarket brakes along with tires up to 315. No aero aids are allowed. I thought about running with NASA but after trying to understand the rule book I decided it is not worth the effort. The dry sump plenty is unreal. If you start with a stock car it might be worth a try but I do not want to run without a real dry sump on a C6. I feel there is too much difference between SCCA and NASA rules to run both groups.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:04 PM
6SPEEDZ
Instructor

I would go with a base c5 coupe. This is with current rule set. The LS6 crate engine is not needed if you refresh yours from time to time. All the other mechanical parts for the C5 are largely carried over to the C6. The biggest issue for parts with the C5 is body parts.

Get notified of new replies

To NASA Drivers - PTA/TTA Question

Old 10-22-2010, 02:20 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z06cool
Do like Jeff and park it for 1.5 seasons...
Stay away from the LS2, guys. They changed the oil pan and oil system, and in left turns over 4 seconds and above 1.2 G's has caused many T-1 guys to blow this engine. Many went to LS6 's or LS3 engines.

I agree with most said on here about the C5 here. One tough car and none of the electrical issues.

D.J. Covert
2008 NASA-Az TTS Champion
Old 10-22-2010, 06:25 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C&M Racing
I have a C6 LS2 and run T1 were we are allowed to run dry sump and aftermarket brakes along with tires up to 315. No aero aids are allowed. I thought about running with NASA but after trying to understand the rule book I decided it is not worth the effort. The dry sump plenty is unreal. If you start with a stock car it might be worth a try but I do not want to run without a real dry sump on a C6. I feel there is too much difference between SCCA and NASA rules to run both groups.
Your car easily crosses over to TTS/ST2....no penalty for dry sump.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:31 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 6SPEEDZ
I would go with a base c5 coupe. This is with current rule set. The LS6 crate engine is not needed if you refresh yours from time to time. All the other mechanical parts for the C5 are largely carried over to the C6. The biggest issue for parts with the C5 is body parts.
Crate is cheaper then a "refresh" in my experience. Also most LSx motors do not leave a lot for rebuilding when they let go in also in my experience - your results may vary.

Building a fresh LS1 TTB will cost more then the $3245 S-D chevy charged for LS6 with CTSV pan.

Quick Reply: NASA Drivers - PTA/TTA Question