Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5Z VBandP Poly-bushing need advice on grease

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 10:05 AM
andrewdonald1
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C5Z VBandP Poly-bushing need advice on grease

Gents: I just put my order in for poly-bushings for the control arms etc on the 04 C5Z.
VBandP recommended to grease the surface between the inner metal sleeves and the ID of the poly-bushings.

However they do not provide the grease and couldn't tell me where to go.
All they recommended was a high silicon water proof grease.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a vendor & product to use, so I can get this on order?

Thanks!

Andy
Old 10-22-2010, 03:49 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I looked for some grease as I understand the Pfadt stuff (crazy sticky, consistency of peanut butter) doesn't last too long.

Here is what I came up with:
Marine Grade Lithium
Dupont Multipurpose with Teflon and Calcium Sulfonate

Both are PB consistency and low washability. The calcium sulfonate stuff, from what I read, is pretty good (very low washability).
I have a grease gun with a flexible extension and then some small needles as the pfadt bushings are channeled around the pins to (hopefully) allow easy grease injection. Zerk fittings would be ideal here, but I wasn't equipped to install them and was worried about greasing the outer area of the bushing.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:27 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

dielectric from NAPA or there is a high silicon grease in a tube that is clear where you can put it in a grease gun with needle tips. Super Lube I think.

found it http://www.super-lube.com/
Old 10-22-2010, 04:44 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

silicon plumbers grease from any hardware store. doesn't wash off, because plumbers wouldn't like that. Funny how sticky a grease can be!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:22 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I used "Whale Snot"...I think that is the technical name. It has the same feel as the lube I got from Phadt for my Sway Bars.

Guess VB&P is getting cheaper, my kit came with the lube, but it did not last very long.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:59 PM
andrewdonald1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kmagvette
I used "Whale Snot"...I think that is the technical name. It has the same feel as the lube I got from Phadt for my Sway Bars.

Guess VB&P is getting cheaper, my kit came with the lube, but it did not last very long.
Wow, "Whale Snot"! Where would you find that? That has got to be commercial construction slang for something (I am in commercial mechanical construction myself). Kinda like "Boy Butter" or "Pooky" or "Pipe Dope".
Old 10-22-2010, 10:18 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTP-19-1750/
that is what is normally used on urethane bushings. It comes in other sizes and brands, but I find the small packs to work well simply because it is super messy. Marine grease and super sticky red used on farm equipment may work well also, but I have not tried it.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:23 PM
andrewdonald1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trackboss
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTP-19-1750/
that is what is normally used on urethane bushings. It comes in other sizes and brands, but I find the small packs to work well simply because it is super messy. Marine grease and super sticky red used on farm equipment may work well also, but I have not tried it.
Cool. Have you tried it?
Old 10-22-2010, 10:29 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, I have several packs in my tool box. One little tube will easily do a pair of swaybar bushings and even all four (front/rear) depending on how liberally you apply. I just like these because because they are packaged in small tubes. I can use them and throw them out immediately without having to make a mess everywhere trying to store leftovers. The grease just likes to stick to everything and is hard to remove on things like clothing. It lasts much longer than most other types of grease that are normally meant for bearings and such.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewdonald1
Cool. Have you tried it?
I've used that as well, I think it's expensive for what it is especially if you're throwing some away. I found that it's so sticky it can get filled with dirt and harden then be difficult to clean. I switched to just using Redline synthetic grease that's in my gun for chassis lube. I add zerks in so I can add more grease often though.

I had that Prothane grease in my sway bar mounts before zerks and after awhile it went away. The sway bar frozen in the bushings which made the suspension act poorly.

It doesn't really matter what is used as long as more gets added regularly.

Get notified of new replies

To C5Z VBandP Poly-bushing need advice on grease

Quick Reply: C5Z VBandP Poly-bushing need advice on grease