Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QA1 coilovers for C5Z. Any experience?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 10:40 AM
andrewdonald1
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default QA1 coilovers for C5Z. Any experience?

Gents: I am thinking about going with some coil-overs while I am in changing to poly-bushings in my control arms for my C5Z.

I am trying to budget this out and would love to go with the LG GT2's, but I am not sure if I will have to replace ball joints during this whole project (upper/lower ball joints for all 4 corners add up to approx $600).

So I am thinking of going with QA1 coilovers with the 550 lb spring settings.

Does anyone have some real world experience with them?
I understand they are only 2/3 the cost, and typically you get what you pay for.
I am fine if they don't perform on par with the LG GT2's, in reality this is currently a street only car. I may do some auto-cross down the road, but nothing competitive, so I am not worried about car classifications etc here.

More just a possible improvement from switching out from the leaf springs. But I would also like to know if the QA1's are rebuild-able.
Not interested if you can't rebuild them. I'll just save up more for the LG's if that is the case regardless of up-front value compared to the LG's.

But because I am basically going thru the whole suspension in one fail swoop, I only want to go back with one 4-wheel alignment/etc rather than going back in twice if I don't decide to go with the coil-overs now.

Your experiences are greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Andy

BTW: If I do nothing with coilovers right now, my suspension will be (45K Miles on car):
[1] VBandP Xtreme Touring Kit (less springs - springs would be 04 C5Z springs):
This new system was designed and built by VBP for the top Corvette showroom stock race series customers. VBP uses only graphite impregnated polyurethane bushings in this C-5 conversion kit. Our VBP designed Toe & Tie RodEnds that are included, eliminate alignment change during hard cornering, especially while being heated by the brakes. Bilstein Sport Shocks are ideal for Xtreme duty track or road conditions. Our extreme End-link kit increases the effectiveness of your selected sway-bars. Sway bars sold separately to match individual driving style.
[2] VB&P:
-poly cushions & washers for stock Z06 springs
-poly shock tower bushings (all 4 wheels)
[3] Used T1 Sway bars, options for bushings:
- factory used rubber bushings (approx 1K miles on them) with the bars that are coming
- factory rubber bushings (try and get new ones from GM)
- VBandP: see if they can provide poly-bushings to match
[4] debating on whether to change out the upper/lower ball joints at the same time since I am in there right now.
[5] I currently have SS brake-lines on the factory C5Z brake system

Last edited by andrewdonald1; 10-22-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:30 PM
TS Motorsport
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't a T1 suspension cost the same as a QA1 setup? I haven't seen any data provided by the QA1 guys therefore we can't really compare them to anything.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:05 PM
andrewdonald1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TS Motorsport
Wouldn't a T1 suspension cost the same as a QA1 setup? I haven't seen any data provided by the QA1 guys therefore we can't really compare them to anything.
Actually I am debating on either:

[1] stay with current proposed upgrade of Bilstein Sport Shocks w/stock 04 C5Z springs w/T1 sway bars

OR possible upgrade to [1] above:

- delete C5Z springs and go with QA1 coilovers (550 lbs springs and single adjustment)
-delete C5Z springs and save money to go with LG GT2's IF the QA1's are not rebuild-able.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:21 PM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default QA-1 Adjustables

Contact Mark Stein @ MSI (supporting Vendor)
he can give you what you want to know about QA-1s.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:02 PM
andrewdonald1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by steponc
Contact Mark Stein @ MSI (supporting Vendor)
he can give you what you want to know about QA-1s.
Thanks!
Old 10-24-2010, 01:51 AM
deetee
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

installed qa1 coilover with 450# spring rate i love it on 8/7 (front/back) setting now
and yes qa1 rebuildable
cheap doesnt mean not good product
even with specs, also not guarantee good product

Get notified of new replies

To QA1 coilovers for C5Z. Any experience?

Quick Reply: QA1 coilovers for C5Z. Any experience?