Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What clutch for about 500rwhp and doing some RoadRacing/HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 05:37 AM
ferrmaro
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 46 Posts

I've been searching as well for clutches that can hold 500 ft lbs. and have very low MOI. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Quartermaster Optimum SR single. It has a 10.4" disk with a sealed spring hub, strap drive floater plate, billet cover, and claims to have the smooth feel of the OEM LS6 unit with half the weight. It seems like such a quality piece yet it hardly gets any airtime on the forums. I believe this is what I will end up getting when I replace mine.
The following users liked this post:
DK83 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 04:09 PM
DK83
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Feedback once you have it installed please!

Originally Posted by ferrmaro
I've been searching as well for clutches that can hold 500 ft lbs. and have very low MOI. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Quartermaster Optimum SR single. It has a 10.4" disk with a sealed spring hub, strap drive floater plate, billet cover, and claims to have the smooth feel of the OEM LS6 unit with half the weight. It seems like such a quality piece yet it hardly gets any airtime on the forums. I believe this is what I will end up getting when I replace mine.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:11 PM
DK83
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback.

So when its time to replace the clutch for you guys, you just use the oem as it came from the factory?

Originally Posted by fmcokc
I agree with these guys about the stock clutch.

For HPDE and road course work go with the lightest stock clutch you can and have it balanced. You start getting into unsprung, hard grabbing clutches and you'll be buying tranny parts.

These guys are all trying to sell you something you don't need...but that's their job
Old 04-27-2017, 06:11 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by DK83
Thanks for the feedback.

So when its time to replace the clutch for you guys, you just use the oem as it came from the factory?
Typically yes, although I do like the looks of that clutch a couple of posts back. I would like to see specs on the clamping force, disc material and flywheel.

We always like to go somewhat lighter if possible through a combo of the flywheel and clutch but not too much. Too light and you run into other problems.

For road course work, your not shocking the clutch or at least you shouldn't be. Being gentle and showing mercy to your equipment will pay dividends in the future in lower parts cost and faster lap times.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:20 PM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by mcar00
I don't believe that road racing/HPDE puts a whole lot of stress on a clutch. I've run for 3 years (40 track hours) with 500+ RWHP with the stock clutch and never had an issue. They are inexpensive and work well on the street also. I think it's the launching and speed shifting at a dragstrip that really abuses a clutch.
I've been running 550rwhp on my stock LS7 clutch for three years and probably 6-8 HPDE's. So far so good, but I feel like a few 1/4 mile passes might cook it. If it begins to show a problem I'll consider a LS9.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:46 PM
DK83
Instructor

I agree, but do you still use oem fw or a lightweight fw?

Typically yes, although I do like the looks of that clutch a couple of posts back. I would like to see specs on the clamping force, disc material and flywheel.

We always like to go somewhat lighter if possible through a combo of the flywheel and clutch but not too much. Too light and you run into other problems.

For road course work, your not shocking the clutch or at least you shouldn't be. Being gentle and showing mercy to your equipment will pay dividends in the future in lower parts cost and faster lap times.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:04 PM
ferrmaro
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by DK83
Feedback once you have it installed please!
...I do like the looks of that clutch a couple of posts back. I would like to see specs on the clamping force, disc material and flywheel.
I don't have specifics, however the claim is that the disc material is organic and the flywheel is a billet component. Here are a few links. One is an install article for the SINGLE disc unit and the other is a video overview of the DUAL disc unit.

Single disc Optimum SR install

Old 04-28-2017, 12:22 AM
DK83
Instructor

Anyone run a mantic single disk for street and hpde on their c5s?

Quick Reply: What clutch for about 500rwhp and doing some RoadRacing/HPDE