Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front wheelhouse replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 07:50 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default front wheelhouse replacement?

I am replacing both my front wheel houses on my c5. They don't exactly line up as good as the originals and I want to get the panels perfect, as they were before. I've left the driver's side on as a reference (will replace after pass. side is done)so I could bolt the front bumper on as well as the right front fender/wheel house. Only having to adjust one side at a time. It's close, but not perfect and having only one set of hands it seems as though it will be a challenge to get it right. Anyone done this before?
Most likely I'll just get it close and then have the body shop finalize the fitment and glue them in, but before I go there I thought I'd ask first. Initially I was actually thinking of sinking some threaded inserts in the frame rail and a-pillar so I could screw the wheelhouses on, which will allow for adjustment, but for a street car with all the other crap in there, etc., I think the glue is the way to go. If only gm made these in multiple pieces I wouldn't be doing this. The very front lowers that attach to the bottom of the bumper cover broke off and here I am.
thanks in advance,
-V
Old 10-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
I am replacing both my front wheel houses on my c5. They don't exactly line up as good as the originals and I want to get the panels perfect, as they were before. I've left the driver's side on as a reference (will replace after pass. side is done)so I could bolt the front bumper on as well as the right front fender/wheel house. Only having to adjust one side at a time. It's close, but not perfect and having only one set of hands it seems as though it will be a challenge to get it right. Anyone done this before?
Most likely I'll just get it close and then have the body shop finalize the fitment and glue them in, but before I go there I thought I'd ask first. Initially I was actually thinking of sinking some threaded inserts in the frame rail and a-pillar so I could screw the wheelhouses on, which will allow for adjustment, but for a street car with all the other crap in there, etc., I think the glue is the way to go. If only gm made these in multiple pieces I wouldn't be doing this. The very front lowers that attach to the bottom of the bumper cover broke off and here I am.
thanks in advance,
-V

Is this a street car or a race car?
Old 10-24-2010, 08:42 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

street car
Old 10-24-2010, 09:31 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When replacing the front wheelhouses on the front of a C5 Corvette, you will need to do test fits using the the front nose hood and fenders to assure proper alignment before doing the final glue in.

Been there and done it. An experience body shop experienced with Corvettes is best to do the fitment.

Get notified of new replies

To front wheelhouse replacement?

Quick Reply: front wheelhouse replacement?