Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6Z Owners - Any of you Autocross?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 10:49 PM
smbstyle
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6Z Owners - Any of you Autocross?

I am strongly considering several cars to shop for sometime next year, with the C6 Z06 being the front runner, and am considering several others (2010+ GT500, 2011 GT, 2012 Boss 302, 996 Turbo, 09 CTS-V). One of the features I am really looking for is a car I can take autocrossing, and want to get some feedback from the C6 Z06 owners here who have taken their cars out.

Right now I have been running my 04 CTS-V and it is an absolute blast, not to mention very quick around the course, and I consider myself a fairly un-skilled newbie driver. Last time out I beat up on a Lotus Exige, some boxters and 911's, m3's and some other cars that I figured would blow me away. I came from Fords before the CTS-V, and had no idea what handling was like (03 Cobra with a KB 2.2L blower built for drag racing only). I am hooked; my next car HAS to be able to handle well, but also offer comfort, speed and have a fairly good aftermarket for it in order to modify. I'd like to take the car from the autocross course to the road course to the drag strip. Now I know the C6 Z06 dominates on a road course and drag strip, but how about a small, tight nimble autocross course? is it a bear to keep the thing in control around such a tight track, or are they fairly competitive in their classes (for ex SCCA Solo?). I wont be racing in any SCCA road course competitions, mainly just a few HPDEs. I just find autocrosisng the most practical, where I can run almost every weekend without destroying tires, brakes and most importantly, my wallet. Any feedback you guys/gals can give me would be great, thanks.

-Scott
Old 10-28-2010, 01:01 AM
slo_z28
Instructor

If you're looking for a car that's strictly for autocross I would build a 1989 into C-Prepped, it can be done for under 20k and is very capable. I would say that any car you listed is capable of good times. The tracks that corvette clubs build would be suited for the cars you listed, but there is something to be said for SWB AWD cars on tight tracks. I would say an ideal car would be something like a 2010 Porsche Turbo S. I wouldn't worry about the car you choose though until you're skill capped. I would buy a car based on its street manners, and in that case you simply cant beat the C6 Z06 its leaps and bounds beyond anything else out there.

Autocross is a funny thing, you ask me what cars I'm afraid of and you'd laugh. Miatas, Evo's, WRX's, 89 hatch hondas, cars that would stand a chance against me on a track day.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:32 PM
SG4206
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep - you got bit hard!
You wouldn't go wrong with any Vette , a Z06 being the top pick.
Choosing a Vette will let you run NCCC (OPEN AND FAST) or SCCA (CLOSE AND TIGHT) events.
I know the Porsche and Shelby clubs have their events also ; so - it really comes down to what you want to play with.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:17 PM
johnnywoz
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

As you said, the Z06 is an absolute beast, which also means on the Auto-X course, you have to be very diligent with handling. For all that BIG horsepower, you will need a set of Hoosier A6 tires, upgraded shocks and sway bars to make it around those cones. Then get Hoosier R6 for the HPDE and for dragging get a bigger rear sway bar. And you are all set.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:12 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

If you want an auto-x only car, then save your money and build a C5Z. They are much better for auto-x and respond very well to light mods.

For example, We have coil overs, sways, bushings, brakes, 560 rwhp and other supporting mods running A6's on our C6Z. I can get in my friends C5Z with only coil overs, sways, bushings and a stock motor on V710's and beat my times from my own car.

I used to have a C5Z track car and I miss it every time I go Auto-Xing.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:16 PM
smbstyle
Advanced

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
If you want an auto-x only car, then save your money and build a C5Z. They are much better for auto-x and respond very well to light mods.

For example, We have coil overs, sways, bushings, brakes, 560 rwhp and other supporting mods running A6's on our C6Z. I can get in my friends C5Z with only coil overs, sways, bushings and a stock motor on V710's and beat my times from my own car.

how big of a difference is it? and would driving the C5Z instead of the C6Z everywhere else (around town, drag strip, road course) be worth the trade off? Honestly, i just think the C5Z is too plain looking; I love everything about the C6Z
Old 10-28-2010, 06:29 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both the C5Z and the C6Z are nationally competitive. You dont need to do anything to either of them to be competitive or have fun. In SCCA, they both run in the same class and are within a couple of tenths of each other. I think the C5Z is slightly faster on most courses but that shouldn't drive your decision unless you are shooting for a top 10 finish at nationals. The C6Z has won plenty of national events.

If I was in your position and had the money, I would get a C6Z, and run it in stock form. Just get a more agressive alignment and then focus on driving. You may get beat on straight time by a Miata, just work on your driving. Adding parts just makes it harder to learn. All IMHO...

Chris Shay
Old 10-29-2010, 07:26 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by smbstyle
how big of a difference is it? and would driving the C5Z instead of the C6Z everywhere else (around town, drag strip, road course) be worth the trade off? Honestly, i just think the C5Z is too plain looking; I love everything about the C6Z
It is noticable on a technical course especially. For all around daily use, drag racing and road courses, the C6z would be a better choice. Our C6Z will run 10.5's all night at the strip, run 2 flat or so at Thunderhill, take top time of day at some of our Auto-x events and drive home with a CD playing and AC on. It makes for a great all around car, but is all you want is auto x, the C5Z is a faster car.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06

A national tour multiple winner that I race against races a C5Z. He did the setup in both his car and then my car in the 2009 season. He doesn't come close to catching me anymore. Granted our local track is not representative of a national tour track, my car is dialed in big time. I can't wait for Dixie in the Spring.

FWIW, the C5Z was the previous Super Stock record holder of the 51 year Bay Bottom Crawl. I broke that record by 3.3 seconds in my C6Z a few weeks ago.

Edit: I just noticed you live in Tampa. Follow the link in my signature and come down one to one of the events we have in Fort Myers. I'll let you take a few laps in my Z and you can make your own conclusions.

Last edited by Datawiz; 11-01-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:05 AM
smbstyle
Advanced

Originally Posted by Datawiz
A national tour multiple winner that I race against races a C5Z. He did the setup in both his car and then my car in the 2009 season. He doesn't come close to catching me anymore. Granted our local track is not representative of a national tour track, my car is dialed in big time. I can't wait for Dixie in the Spring.

FWIW, the C5Z was the previous record holder of the 51 year Bay Bottom Crawl. I broke that record by 3.3 seconds in my C6Z a few weeks ago.

Edit: I just noticed you live in Tampa. Follow the link in my signature and come down one to one of the events we have in Fort Myers. I'll let you take a few laps in my Z and you can make your own conclusions.
awesome!!! I will try to make the December event! I'd love to take a ride in the C6Z around a cone course; I think that will clear up any remaining questions or thoughts lol.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:09 PM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A good place to judge a cars competitiveness is checking the SCCA national SOLO results. http://www.scca.com/documents/result...ook%20file.pdf

For example, Super Stock was won this year by a Lotus Elise. The best finish for a C6Z in SS was 10th.

However, a C6Z took the win in ASP. So deciding on a car depends on what class you want to run and how much you're prepared to invest in mods if it's not in a stock class.

There's a good thread here about setting up a C6Z for Super Stock.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...revisited.html

The consensus being that a C6Z can be competitive in SS with the right setup and fixing some of the deficiencies. However, getting wins with a C5Z would probably be easier. At least in SS. There's also a ton more knowledge out there on setting up a C5Z for autocross.

If you want to spend the money for some high end mods, it seems the C6Z can win in ASP.

I ran my 2009 Z in SS this year in the SCCA SFR region and took third in the points. But I also stated later in the season. I was almost always in the top three and won a few events. But the Lotus and Porches were always up there too. The series was won by a Lotus Elise.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:16 PM
roadracerex
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having driven and instructed in both, I like my C5Z. The C6Z and the Grand Sport are, however, easier to drive than the C5Z.

The next consideration is the Grand Sport. It seems to handle better than the C6Z due to the torque curve being different and the difference in the transmission gear ratios. The Grand Sport may be the one to watch next year in SS.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:02 PM
johnnywoz
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C6DuffMan
However, a C6Z took the win in ASP. So deciding on a car depends on what class you want to run and how much you're prepared to invest in mods if it's not in a stock class.
C6DuffMan, I am checking out all the info posted in the link you provided for setting up a C6Z in SS class, do you know if there are any good threads like that for the C6Z in ASP class?

Thanx.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:33 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C6DuffMan
A good place to judge a cars competitiveness is checking the SCCA national SOLO results. http://www.scca.com/documents/result...ook%20file.pdf

For example, Super Stock was won this year by a Lotus Elise. The best finish for a C6Z in SS was 10th.
Except that same driver broke the Elise at the ProSolo, jumped into a C6Z and proceeded to win the ProSolo Finale in the C6Z. Proving that it may be more about the driver than the car at the top levels. Any of the top SS cars can win on any given day (GT3, Viper, Elise, C5Z or C6Z).
Old 11-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran

awesome!!! I will try to make the December event! I'd love to take a ride in the C6Z around a cone course; I think that will clear up any remaining questions or thoughts lol.
Sure you can ride, but you can also drive.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by TedDBere
Except that same driver broke the Elise at the ProSolo, jumped into a C6Z and proceeded to win the ProSolo Finale in the C6Z. Proving that it may be more about the driver than the car at the top levels. Any of the top SS cars can win on any given day (GT3, Viper, Elise, C5Z or C6Z).
Braun is an Alien. He proved it again.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:56 AM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Datawiz
Braun is an Alien. He proved it again.
And again...This is part of a note from the owner of the Elise that Matthew Braun drove to the 2010 SS National Championship. The Blytheville Tour was the last event of the 2010 season.

"Last weekend was pretty memorable for the small Detroit contingent at the Blytheville Tour. Matthew, well, was Matthew. He won SS going away and then also won the Super Challenge – what a way to end the year. When Howard Duncan handed him the award for overall winner of the event (a free entry to next year’s Nationals – he now has two of these) he said “is there anything this guy can’t do in SOLO?”

Congratulations to Matthew for an incredible 2010.

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z Owners - Any of you Autocross?

Quick Reply: C6Z Owners - Any of you Autocross?