Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Clutch--How Long Will it Last ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 01:59 PM
TEXFRC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock Clutch--How Long Will it Last ??

Car is an '02 Targa, Z-51 with Hoosier 315/30/18's. Bought it with 23K miles on it 8 months ago. Sport is autocross.

I alway start very hot with a burn out if the start permits it. Have run about 40 events so far this year.

Ran a 2 day NCCC AX this past weekend. 14 AX's in 2 days. The start was a 1/8 mile straight into a sweeping right hand turn. I did 28+ runs and did a burn out on each except for one. It was suggested that I did not do a burn out and my times would be better. Tried it and went one and one half second slower so went back to a burn out.

My question is how long will the stock clutch last?

It is fine now and there is no slipping or clutch noise but how long will it last? Should I replace it when the season is over in 2 weeks or just let it go until it blows?

Thanks for your input.......

TEX
Old 11-01-2010, 02:26 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

A burnout relieves stress on the clutch, so that won't hurt it. Slipping the clutch from a dead stop with a lot of throttle input will wear it out. I'm still on my stock clutch and it is showing no signs of fatigue with 35,000 miles and a lot of track use. Just keep your clutch fluid clean and operate the clutch correctly (ie. don't slip it) and it should last a long time.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:00 PM
waktasz
Pro

Regardless of how your clutch is lasting, people running a6's at autocross as usually looking to get rid of heat in the tires after the first couple of runs by spraying them down. Your tires were probably on fire after 14 runs in a day. No need to light them up at the start.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:22 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't know how long yours will last but I've got 123k on an '02 Z51 with several
auto-x's, three trips to the drags, and 100+ track days over 5 years from early
'03 to late '07. I don't expect you will have to worry about it too soon !
Randy
Old 11-01-2010, 10:47 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

After 8 years of autocross, the occasional DE, and 214,xxx miles my original clutch finally gave up the ghost about a month ago. Actual failure was in the pressure plate; clutch wouldn't release.

When I took everything apart there were no burn marks and a fair amount of material left on the clutch disk. Engine is stock with only a modest tune and a set of LG Streets, putting out about 330 rwhp, and running Hoosier R (not A) compound tires.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 11-02-2010, 06:38 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Wow... this is good news. Maybe I don't need to replace mine yet. 02 Z with 75K on it. Lots of autocross ( both std and a prosolo thrown in there ).

My pedal releases a bit high though.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:43 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Mine had a high pedal release literally for years, and like I said, it wasn't that the clutch started slipping or chattering, the pressure plate actually broke. When I got the inspection plate off the jammed release levers (i.e. "fingers") were easily visible.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 11-02-2010, 10:55 AM
TEXFRC
Instructor

Default Burn Outs

Thanks for the input guys.

Hoosiers never got hot enough to water, they just hooked up and went. I did bring my water sprayer but never used it. And I won all 14 AX's in class 2H.

Guess I'll just keep driving it hard and not worry.

TEX

Get notified of new replies

To Stock Clutch--How Long Will it Last ??

Quick Reply: Stock Clutch--How Long Will it Last ??