Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ST-2 Car for sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 10:10 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
$t2 = tt$
$30k for a nice ST2 car seems like a good deal. I have about the same amount into my ST2 car. Dry sumped LS6 with full aero, rpm level 5 mm6 tranny with the zo6 5th and 6th gears, quartermaster triple disc clutch, big stoptech brakes, LG coilovers, poly bushings, skf hubs, 50/50 weight distribtion all around, 2 sets of ccw's with 315/335 hoosiers. I keep reading how expensive TTS/ST2 cars are, but I doubt a well prepped PTA or T1 car would be much cheaper. $30k for one of the fastest cars on the track seems pretty reasonable to me.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:24 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I was ready to jump to TTS, I'd think seriously about this. Nice car, and sorry you have to sell. Find your way back to the track soon. Good luck with the sale.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:32 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05C6GAC
If this car was run in NASA TT what group would it have to run in TTU or could it run something lower!!!!
It could run TTS, as TTS (for TT) = ST2 (for racing)
Old 12-12-2011, 08:32 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
$30k for one of the fastest cars on the track seems pretty reasonable to me.
seems like a good deal to me. the $T2-TT$ comment was directed to the nickname of the class, not that his price was unreasonable.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:32 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

seems like a good deal to me. the $T2-TT$ comment was directed to the nickname of the class, not that his price was unreasonable.
10-4, I realized that and I was also directing my comment toward the class as a whole. My point is that you can still build/buy a nationally competitive ST2 car for under $30k. So although I agree it can be a money pit class (as can almost any race class), it doesn't have to be. One of the keys I think is to find a previously owned race car like this that already has the safety and full aero installed (plus the nice shocks).
Old 12-12-2011, 09:44 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
It could run TTS, as TTS (for TT) = ST2 (for racing)
I hope no one buys it....cmon Ross you can find time.......
Old 12-12-2011, 03:11 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by redtopz
My point is that you can still build/buy a nationally competitive ST2 car for under $30k.
Buy, yes

Build, no
Old 12-12-2011, 04:08 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Buy, yes

Build, no

I got a great deal on my 2001 Z06 that I used to build my PTA/TTA car. I paid $14k for it in summer 2010. I did every bit of work myself other than the actual cage install (did all the prep and painted the cage etc.) and have sold every part off of the car that could be sold and have come in just under $29k. I kept a detailed spreadsheet and the figure includes things like spares and consumables etc.... everything.

To take the next step up to ST2 would require new suspension and aero at a minimum. If you wanted to build the car to the extent of the rules you're talking about a stump puller motor and a custom-geared trans.

Maybe if you got lucky and started with a wreck like the one Vettenuts had for sale a few weeks back or if you started with a coupe. All the little things add up
Old 12-12-2011, 04:35 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Buy, yes

Build, no
True, I should have said "buy and modify". That's the only way I kept my ST2 build under $30k.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:45 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by travisnd
All the little things add up
so do the big ones

you broke rule #1. never tally up what you spend on a car/project.

rule #2, if you do, never show it to your wife

glad we can keep bumping his FS thread
Old 12-12-2011, 09:28 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I am currently using a c6z for 15+ HPDEs per year. I would lie to move to something caged that would give me the flexibility to race in a year or 2 if I decide to move in that direction. My first thought was T1. I am curious to know opinions on whether a car like this could mee the goals I describe. PM responses are fine. I would need to get the car to NJMP in south jersey. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:26 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

NASA's ST2 class is the fastest growing race class and NASA is the fastest growing race series in the country. This car is a great deal and has all the right stuff
Old 12-13-2011, 12:36 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by travisnd
NASA's ST2 class is the fastest growing race class and NASA is the fastest growing race series in the country. This car is a great deal and has all the right stuff
and as much as the $t2 talk is correct, 90% of the St2 guys don't have toter homes, or the serious bank role that it would take to win in T1 (nationally). or maybe I'm speaking for myself, as I know I dont, which is why I went the ST-2 route.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:23 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

True. I have seen very few of the uber-fast ST-2 cars (1?). Rest are pretty closely matched. An uneasy truce though, since the sky is the limit on these.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:35 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 2 GTOs
I am currently using a c6z for 15+ HPDEs per year. I would lie to move to something caged that would give me the flexibility to race in a year or 2 if I decide to move in that direction. My first thought was T1. I am curious to know opinions on whether a car like this could mee the goals I describe. PM responses are fine. I would need to get the car to NJMP in south jersey. Thanks.
Do it.

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
True. I have seen very few of the uber-fast ST-2 cars (1?). Rest are pretty closely matched. An uneasy truce though, since the sky is the limit on these.
I've raced most of the ST2 cars on the West Coast now and my car is right up there with any of them. I do get pulled at the start and out of the lower speed corners by some of them with either more torque, lighter weight, or better gearing. But overall, a ST2 corvette with full aero is competitive with just about anything I've seen. Might be a different story back East where there are more ST2 cars being built to the limit.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:47 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Well looks like I'll be moving in the near future (again) and this one will be a long haul. So The corvette is one of the first things on my list to sell. I'm willing to deal a lot more if I know she'll still be raced and beaten on at her new home.

If not, I might just start harassing people in NASA Socal when I get out there
Old 01-26-2012, 11:11 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moving.... AGAIN????

Will this be mortgage number 3?

Get notified of new replies

To ST-2 Car for sale

Old 01-26-2012, 11:44 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wallyman424
Moving.... AGAIN????

Will this be mortgage number 3?
do you really think a bank will loan to me right now... LOL
Old 01-26-2012, 12:04 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just bring the car! NorCal/SoCal lots of fun tracks and folks out here. It's also common for a bunch of racers to rent some storage space for cars/trailers since even if you have a house the lots are typically so damn small...
Old 01-26-2012, 12:07 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Well looks like I'll be moving in the near future (again) and this one will be a long haul. So The corvette is one of the first things on my list to sell. I'm willing to deal a lot more if I know she'll still be raced and beaten on at her new home.

Trade it for a T1 car and race T1 with us out here . Otherwise we have a pretty large ST2 SoCal group. I'm basically the only NorCal guy that runs T1 or ST2. For some reason nobody in Norcal races those classes so I head south to race most of the time even though I way prefer the northern CA tracks.

Worst case, I bet you can find someone in LA who would buy that car if you can't sell it back east. We have a SoCal track forum where guys are looking for good race cars to buy. Hope to meet you once you move out this way.

Bill.

Quick Reply: ST-2 Car for sale