Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 non-Z06 Battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 05:10 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C6 non-Z06 Battery

Okay, I think I've lost another battery in my '06 C6 Z51 car. This one was an Optima YellowTop D35 model. I've ordered up a PriorityStart module this time around, and if I'm going to replace the battery again it's time to re-evaluate options. Is it time to relocate it to a rear storage compartment? Very tempting. Also tempting to lose some weight.
  • Braille / Deka
  • Optima YellowTop
  • Optima RedTop
  • Odyssey
  • Random Sears model
  • Kirkland/CostCo model

It's still a street car that sees the track whenever possible, and where I am never gets below freezing except for a few hours overnight some times.

What's everybody else using out there? The D35 YellowTop is 650 CCA & 38#, Deka ATX16 is 275 CCA & 17#, Braille 2317R is 475 CCA & 17#, ... if you went with a non-stock size a picture of the hold-down you used would be appreciated, too.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:37 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

I doubt everybody is using a full-size AC Delco... anybody?
Old 11-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Keith N
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just curious, how long did your Optima Yellow Top last? I was considering going with one.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:59 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Keith N
Just curious, how long did your Optima Yellow Top last? I was considering going with one.
I want to guess about two years since my post about the stop button not stopping was January '09. I lost the stocker to a faulty BCM that left some switched power on (rearview mirror, amongst other stuff) and kept running down the battery. I swapped the YellowTop in while I had the faulty BCM so it's been drained/recharged a couple of times from that, and a couple of top-ups required from sitting a couple weeks since...
Old 11-14-2010, 03:23 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Glenn, right now the best battery is either the platinum from sears or the exedy? from costco.
a braille is real expensive but would be much lighter. it's so light I would leave it in the front rather than running a heavy cable to the rear
Old 11-15-2010, 03:20 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had several batteries in a variety of vehicles. My old ford truck I had a dual battery setup with redtops. They were both faulty and required constant recharging. Replaced them several years later with new ones and those were fine.
In a race car I had an odyssey 925 that was several years old and never had a problem. Also used a yellow top with success that I still have sitting in my garage. The only reason I used it was to add "ballast". Yellows are really not as good a starting battery as a red top. If running without an alternator they are a good idea.
When I bought my '99 C5 in '04 I noticed about a year after I bought it the original battery was getting weak. Replaced it with an odyssey 925 that was faulty from the get go. Constantly died and required a charger on it all the time. Nice thing was I bought it from summit and when I finally got sick of charging all the time(about a year after I bought it) I called them and they sent me a new one free of charge. Still have that in my car and it holds a charge well. It does require disconnecting or a trickle charger if the car sits for more than say 3 weeks, but most newer cars are like that.
My experience with regular wet batteries is that they are the longest lasting of all batteries and I have never ran across a faulty one. I replaced the original in my previous truck after it was about 8 years old and it was still good. Just thought it would be a good idea to replace.
The only reason I use wet batteries in my car or race cars is because they can leak and cause damage. Otherwise, I think they are better batteries.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 non-Z06 Battery

Quick Reply: C6 non-Z06 Battery