Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What 5 Pt harness do I need for HARDBAR ?

Old 11-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Default What 5 Pt harness do I need for HARDBAR ?

Guys:

I'm not a hard core racer like some of you, but I might do some AutoXing at some point for fun. I really like being held into my seats tight... I love my turns...

I have Corbeau A4 seats, with Corbeau seat brackets.

Am planing to get a HARDBAR.

I think I need a "wrap round" harness for the HARDBAR right ?

I was thinking of getting the Corbeau Harness but It looks like from the pics on there web site it is not a wrap around type.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on what harness to get ? I like the 3" cam lock style. Will the Corbeau work for my setup ?

What else should I be looking at to get to install this type of harness ?

Thanks in advance for your help !
Toque
Old 11-24-2010, 07:47 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The absolute best harness is a teamtech jet pilot. It's a "six point" and the nice thing is the lap and thigh belts are combined a the attachment point. You only need the normal two mounts on either side of the seat for the entire lower belt assembly. I simply installed some eyelets on my hardbar rails and had teamtech build the lower part of the harness with snap in connections so I could quickly remove the harness when not in use.
Teamtech are super high quality and built to order so there are a ton of options. Look over their site and figure out what you need. You may want to measure your thighs. You can order through hardbar when you figure out what you need. The teamtech catalog will walk you through getting the corrrect part number.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque
Guys:

I'm not a hard core racer like some of you, but I might do some

I think I need a "wrap round" harness for the HARDBAR right ?

You will need a wrap around for the Hardbar. Once you have made your decision make sure you do not do what this picture shows. The belt isn't wrapped through the slide bar correctly and will come loose. The proper way to pass the belt through is to take the bitter end and run it through the slide bar once more and then pull tight.

Bill
Old 11-25-2010, 04:29 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Get a 6 point with snap in ends and the BK lap/sub belts!!!!!

You will thank me if you ever (hopefully NOT) "need" them in an accident...
Old 11-25-2010, 11:16 AM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 6 point is much better for the "wedding vegetables"

For autox, I just use the lap and should belts. So I would get a 6 pt and then just use the 4 straps for autox and then use the full 6 for track events.

I did notice that you are in Texas and I have seen some fast 3rd gear events there so maybe you do want to use all 6 pts for autox.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:24 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Forum member ZO6Cool has a nice (new) harness for sale.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Good info thanks guys !

I don't have the 5th hole in the Corbeau seat. If I get serious enough I will have to get the 5th hole in the seat. For now I will just use the lap, and shoulder straps for playing around autoxing.

I don't see "wrap around" as an option on many of the belts I found online.

Thanks !
Toque
Old 11-25-2010, 12:54 PM
racerx8
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Got my Jet Pilot from Gary at Hardbar I recommend it.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Good info thanks guys !

I don't have the 5th hole in the Corbeau seat. If I get serious enough I will have to get the 5th hole in the seat. For now I will just use the lap, and shoulder straps for playing around autoxing.

Thanks !
Toque
Which belts are you looking at? Simpson, G Force, Schroth and the Jet Pilot harnesses have wrap arounds. Actually G Force allows you to adapt the belt by letting you swap end pieces. One thing you definitely want to have is pull up lap belts. It is very difficult to adjust pull down lap belts in a Corvette. The tunnel keeps you from pulling down the inside belt while you have pull the outside belt through the door opening and you need a long arm to do that.

Bill
Old 11-25-2010, 01:21 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Good info thanks guys !

Thanks !
Toque
Figure out how to get the hole for the sub belt into the seats and use a good 5-point harness. I use G-Force harness belts in my 87 for auto-x and track days. I have a pair of Corbeau Forzas for seats. G-Force has a wraparound style set and they offer a camlock latch too. Summit Racing carries them along with Simpson and RCI belts.

Also, some sanctioning bodies will not accept harness belts that do not go through a hole in a seat. Some SCCA events will be like this as well as PCA (Porsche Club) events.

G-Force also has a complete installation kit for their belts. Comes with everything needed to install the harness belts. The lap belts use the same mounting location that the OEM seat belts use and you get slightly longer bolts in the kit. That way you can continue to use the OEM belts for the street (most all harness belts are not DOT approved) and simply grab the harness stuff and buckle in for competition.

Personally I would not use just the shoulder belts as there would be nothing to keep you from sliding forward at the hips if you come to a "sudden stop". The sub strap will keep you from moving forward.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:34 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

All belts can be configured with either wrap around, snap in, or bolt. One thing I forgot to add above for those not familiar with the jet pilot, is because of the way the bottom belts are done they do not need additional holes in the seat.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:15 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The BK Lap/Sub mount brackets eliminate the need for a hole/s in the bottom of the seat also...

That Jet Pilot is pretty neat! I'll have to check into that...

Tim
Old 11-26-2010, 10:38 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

A typical 5 or 6 point harness requires holes in the seat to be effective regardless of the mounting points. The jet pilot is unique.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:51 AM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by trackboss
A typical 5 or 6 point harness requires holes in the seat to be effective regardless of the mounting points. The jet pilot is unique.
So if I am using the Corbeau A4 seats without the hole in the center between my legs, there is no way I can use a 5/6 point harness?

I would think it would be able to come around the front of the seat?
Old 12-27-2010, 09:33 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette-Chris
So if I am using the Corbeau A4 seats without the hole in the center between my legs, there is no way I can use a 5/6 point harness?

I would think it would be able to come around the front of the seat?

Chris,

In the sake of safety, the sub-belt for a 5/6 point harness cannot be configured to come up over the front of the seat. In the event of a front collision, the sub-belt's purpose is to keep the lap belts in position across your hips. The sub-belt does this by effectively pulling down on the lap belts when your body moves forward during the impact. If the sub-belt is mounted to come up over the front of the seat, during an impact it will act as if you are "pushing a piece of rope" and the resulting "play" can allow the lap belts to move up as the shoulder harnesses pull on them. That is why sub-belts are mounted to go through the seat near your crotch and then get mounted slightly rearward of that opening under your body.

Make sense?

-Kevin
Old 12-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Chris,

In the sake of safety, the sub-belt for a 5/6 point harness cannot be configured to come up over the front of the seat. In the event of a front collision, the sub-belt's purpose is to keep the lap belts in position across your hips. The sub-belt does this by effectively pulling down on the lap belts when your body moves forward during the impact. If the sub-belt is mounted to come up over the front of the seat, during an impact it will act as if you are "pushing a piece of rope" and the resulting "play" can allow the lap belts to move up as the shoulder harnesses pull on them. That is why sub-belts are mounted to go through the seat near your crotch and then get mounted slightly rearward of that opening under your body.

Make sense?

-Kevin

Having the sub belt go across the front of the seat is probably worse than not having one at all. With it running across the front of the seat it will actually be pulling the lap belt away from your pelvis.

Bill
Old 12-27-2010, 09:18 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I'm not a hard core racer like some of you, but I might do some AutoXing at some point for fun. I really like being held into my seats tight... I love my turns...
The proper set-up for a 5 or 6 point harness (seats, brackets, harness, harness bar) is expensive to execute correctly. The OEM seat belt system can be cinched and holds you in the seat fairly well for a 3 point belt. For periodic autocrossing this is all that is necessary in my opinion. Save you money for tires and brake pads.

Get notified of new replies

To What 5 Pt harness do I need for HARDBAR ?

Old 12-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Chris,

Make sense?

-Kevin
Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Having the sub belt go across the front of the seat is probably worse than not having one at all. With it running across the front of the seat it will actually be pulling the lap belt away from your pelvis.

Bill
Thank you guys for the explanation. It makes sense. So would you agree that a simple 4pt harness is a good compromise between the factory seat belt and a non-properly working 5/6pt harness?
Old 12-29-2010, 11:48 AM
ace996
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
The absolute best harness is a teamtech jet pilot. It's a "six point" and the nice thing is the lap and thigh belts are combined a the attachment point. You only need the normal two mounts on either side of the seat for the entire lower belt assembly. I simply installed some eyelets on my hardbar rails and had teamtech build the lower part of the harness with snap in connections so I could quickly remove the harness when not in use.
Teamtech are super high quality and built to order so there are a ton of options. Look over their site and figure out what you need. You may want to measure your thighs. You can order through hardbar when you figure out what you need. The teamtech catalog will walk you through getting the corrrect part number.
I must second this... Teamtech Jetpilot is what I run, bought it through Gary at Hardbar, and I love the harness. The 5/6th points do not go through the seat, they wrap around your hips/thighs, think of a parachute or rock-climbing harness, and connect to the points on the side of your seat...like a 4 point. I've used other harnesses in the past and can say the TTJP has been my favorite - very high quality.

Good luck,
TomK
Old 12-29-2010, 01:17 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette-Chris
Thank you guys for the explanation. It makes sense. So would you agree that a simple 4pt harness is a good compromise between the factory seat belt and a non-properly working 5/6pt harness?

In my opinion (I am not an automotive engineer), it would not. I would stick with the OEM 3pt if I could not implement a 5/6pt harness. In the event of an incident, an OEM 3pt will allow the right half of your torso to come forward a bit before the belts lock and cinch. This helps prevents submarining under the lap belt, which is what the sub-belt does in a 5/6pt harness.

At some of the track events I work, we do not allow 4pt harnesses at all. It is either OEM 3pt or 5/6pt for the reason I described above. We always have a lot of dicey discussions when any of the Factory Five Cobras show up that have 4pt Simpsons installed from the factory.

However, use your best judgement and check with any groups you run with prior to arriving to see what they will allow.

-Kevin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What 5 Pt harness do I need for HARDBAR ?