Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocross tape come in black?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 04:43 PM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Autocross tape come in black?

Was wondering if the blue style painters tape comes in black.I have a black car and feel like a dork when street driving with blue tape on the car, not that it's a big deal but I like to attract less attn to my self. Any one no where i can get black tape... Thankshttp://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w115/gregs94/

Last edited by 1320IN9; 12-05-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:48 PM
waktasz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you one of those people who tapes up their whole car before an event ?

Around here we call those people weirdos

or Porsche drivers
Old 11-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gregs94
Was wondering if the blue style painters tape comes in black.I have a black car and feel like a dork when street driving with blue tape on the car, not that it's a big deal but I like to attract less attn to my self. Any one no where i can get black tape... Thanks
I thought the idea using painters tape was it came off easy....
Old 11-28-2010, 06:08 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try Scotch No Residue duct tape. Thicker than painter's tape and it comes in dark grey
Old 11-28-2010, 06:15 PM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by waktasz
Are you one of those people who tapes up their whole car before an event ?

Around here we call those people weirdos

or Porsche drivers
no not a weirdo...lol.lol but the parking lot we sometimes practice in we have to get in and out quick before police show up so i sometimes tape the car prior to going there.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Paint chips , brake dust and pieces of rubber are the rage now ...
All the cool kids are doing it .
Old 11-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gregs94
no not a weirdo...lol.lol but the parking lot we sometimes practice in we have to get in and out quick before police show up so i sometimes tape the car prior to going there.
Tape it up in blue then go around the block take the tape off, drive back and watch cops looking for a blue car.......
Old 11-28-2010, 08:16 PM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gman57
Tape it up in blue then go around the block take the tape off, drive back and watch cops looking for a blue car.......
now that sounds like a fantastic idea, and by the way i did find black masking tape at a racer supply shop on line. actually they have all different colors
Old 11-28-2010, 10:12 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

if you really want to take the time, use painters tape THEN cover that with black duct tape.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:42 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Go to WallMart and get some shelf paper. It's much wider and goes on a lot quicker than tape. You can get it in colors, but I use the clear stuff on my silver car and it is almost invisible. You can do the areas behind the wheels and rockers in 15 minutes. Tape is a PITA and takes a long time to do.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:41 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

It's less than ideal but contrary to what some say there isn't anything wrong with using tape to protect your paint. I've run road coarses in my C6 for years and I use black 10 mil PVC tape on strategic areas of my car (there's a manufacturers logo on the tape). I use blue painters tape on the lamp lenses. The one time I used black PVC tape on the headlamps I found the black tape soaked-up too much Arizona sunshine/heat and I had spiderweb cracks under where the tape had been. The PVC protects well but it can leave a little bit of adhesive residue in places (not much at all). The small spots of adhesive are easily removed.

I was always adverse to using a clear bra on a street car. Had I known my C6 would evolve into a track car I would have gone with clear bra right off. I think autocrossing will be much easier on your paint than running road courses but if you're going to do it often I suggest a clear bra...it's the best choice.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Red Guts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friends don't let friends use painters tape.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:53 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Go to a local autobody supply store and buy some collision wrap. It comes in various sizes but I think one of the easier sizes to use is the 100 ft by 18 inch size. It is similar to the various Clear Bra materials is 3 mils thick and all you do is just lay it on the car and walk alongside unwrapping from the roll then work the air out from underneath it. Cost me $45 at Colours. I have been wrapping the car with it since September. Easy to put on, holds up to high speeds, and easy to take off. I left it on for about a week and half since I was going to two events close together and after the last event it just pulled off. I usually use some painters tape on various spots where there are seams in the wrap or where it is on an edge like the door bottom. I just wrap it on and then use a razor blade to cut openings for the doors, front air intake, etc.

The way it goes on and the way it holds up I may get all of next season out of this roll as well as half of this season. In summary it is cheaper than painters tape, tougher than painters tape and easier to remove.

Here is a pdf file describing one manufacturer's product:
http://www.rblproducts.com/img/Colli...p%20Detail.pdf

Bill
Old 11-29-2010, 03:39 PM
boltvette
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey, there's nothing wrong with being fast and looking good. I have a clear bra on my C5 and I use cleartastic film on the wheel wells. It takes a fair amount of time to put it on, but then you don't have to worry about it. You can wash it and wax it just like the paint.

Get notified of new replies

To Autocross tape come in black?

Quick Reply: Autocross tape come in black?