Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Catch cans

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 11:16 AM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Catch cans

I'm looking at replacing my catch can over the winter. Does anyone use the TPIS or the Saikou Michi dual catch cans? And I would like to get into TTA this year are these legal?
Thanks!
Old 11-29-2010, 12:13 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Michi but haven't installed it. Do NOT use the supplied bracket if you have a hood light, unless you want a broken light.
The dual Michi looks like the best setup, when combined w/the revised (Z06 and C5s w/ls6 intake/block). I think to be totally legal for TTA the cans need to drain to the oil pan b/c their capacity is too small, but double check this. I don't see this as much of an issue, doubt anyone would raise it.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:49 PM
MRIENG
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

Interesting writeup on catch can design. I know someone with these on his C6 track car. swears by them.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:23 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should not be an issue in TTA.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I'm looking for a new setup my single can doesn't do jack
Old 11-29-2010, 03:07 PM
MRIENG
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

Oops. Forgot the link.
conceptualpolymer.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:47 PM
racerbob4
Instructor

Originally Posted by MRIENG
Oops. Forgot the link.
conceptualpolymer.
We have a 350Z that we race that blows just a little oil out of the differential overflow and we used a bicycle drink bottle with chrome bracket and it works great. We did have to enlarge the hole in the top of the plastic bottle to fit a 3/8" hose but it sure saved a lot of work.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:01 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
My single can does not catch it all either.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:44 AM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jason
I posted a thread back in the spring about my car pushing oil onto the filter and MAF you said you were having the same issue. I figured out why mine was doing that the catch can under vibration slides down the bracket and causes it to push out oil. So that's why I'm looking for a catch can geared more toward racing use. Thanks for your help guys
Old 12-02-2010, 09:53 AM
NewFoundPower
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had the Elite Engineering single can I still had problems. Lots of oil still in the intake and sometimes even enough out the exhaust to get me black-flagged. This past summer I switched to the Saiku Michi dual can setup and haven't had any issues. I just used the supplied bracket (still have my under hood light ) and didn't have to drain them to the oil pan, just take them off the bracket to check and drain them every one or two events. I run TTA too, no issues.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:56 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by MRIENG
Oops. Forgot the link.
conceptualpolymer.
First....Convert to an '04 valley cover! Then this catch can should take care of anything else. If you read the white paper you should understand why the others don't work and are not worth the money.

And if you really want to do it correctly then install a sump vacuum pump and be done with it! This has other benefits as well.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:23 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Vacuum pump is actually a bad idea. It will just draw even more oil out of of the motor and into the cans. I've said it many times, these motors tend to drain poorly when driven hard around a road course. Deep skirt block, short pan, etc. Left hand turns seem to be worse than right in terms of oil coming out and my reasoning is the crank is whipping the oil and combating the oil draining from the heads. Passenger side head in particular. I really think a crank scraper on the passenger side of the block will go a long way towards helping this problem.
As far as catch cans, I've had the Saikou Michi using both my original ls1 ('99) pcv system and my current ls6 pcv system. I did not see any improvement upgrading to the ls6. I actually think the early pcv may have worked better. Currently I have my own catch can I built myself and it seems to work best but still just a band aid to the real problem.
One thing I plan on trying is to vent the driver's side valve cover as opposed to the passenger side.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:15 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by trackboss
Vacuum pump is actually a bad idea. It will just draw even more oil out of of the motor and into the cans.
Well sort of,
First thing is: What problem are we trying to solve?
I thought we were trying to keep oil out of the intake and the combustion chamber not out of the cans.
If we are trying to keep oil out of the cans then I agree with you, a vacuum pump will probably cause more oil in the cans if the rest of the system isn't modified.
And yes the vacuum pump MAY draw more oil but as we know, the amount can be motor dependent.
When using a vacuum pump you don't have to worry about maintaining the closed system and you can design/use some pretty creative baffeling and minimize the suction of raw oil.
I also agree that a crank scraper would be a big help. There is a company that makes a pretty elaborate system...I think Randy (DRM)posted something about it earlier this year.

Not trying to start anything.....just clarifying so those who don't understand all the details of the inherent problem are more informed.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:39 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Understood, but I've seen a vacuum pump installed on a road race ls1 and it sucked out a ton of oil.
FWIW, even with catch cans I have seen oil in my intake.
The ideal solution is a multi stage dry sump. When done right it will create lots of vacuum (motor must be sealed and vacuum release valve installed) and provide much better oiling.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:18 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by trackboss
The ideal solution is a multi stage dry sump. When done right it will create lots of vacuum (motor must be sealed and vacuum release valve installed) and provide much better oiling.

When I win the lottery I'll buy one for both of us!

Kind of over kill just to keep some oil out of the intake. But it does have other perks.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ssdeuce
I'm looking at replacing my catch can over the winter. Does anyone use the TPIS or the Saikou Michi dual catch cans? And I would like to get into TTA this year are these legal?
Thanks!

I installed dual catch cans from Accurate Machine works:

They both end up with oil in them:

-
Old 12-05-2010, 09:15 AM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pumba
I installed dual catch cans from Accurate Machine works:

They both end up with oil in them:

-
Pumb, I like those because you can remove the tops to see how much oil you have caught and you could use a turkey baster to remove it instead of unscrewing the drain **** on the bottom.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

It looks like you have to remove the hose going to each top piece. This can sometimes be a minor pain (knuckle-buster).

Keep in mind that the higher the temperature of the catch can, the more likely the smaller airborne oil droplets will bypass the filter elements. This is the disadvantage of having the can(s) mounted so close to the engine (heat source).

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Catch cans

Quick Reply: Oil Catch cans