Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FIA approved seats that'll fit in a C5 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 07:49 PM
AntonioZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default FIA approved seats that'll fit in a C5 Z06?

Over the winter I think I'm finally going to buy some racing seats for my z06. I plan on doing some HPDE's at Pocono or NJMP next season and don't want to run into any issues of running a seat that isn't FIA approved. I like the look and price/quality of the Corbeau A4, but with all my research on it, I don't see anything saying they're FIA approved.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:17 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is not a direct answer to your question so my apologies in advance ...

A4 is not, nor is any other seat that reclines, I wouldn't think. If all you're doing is HPDE, you don't need a FIA approved seat.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:01 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
If all you're doing is HPDE, you don't need a FIA approved seat.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:55 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

The only reclining FIA seat that I know of is for the 2010 997 GT3RS Porsche. It is a forward folding seat only which allowed them the approval

Last edited by Gordy M; 11-30-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:33 AM
AntonioZ06
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the suggestions. I really wanna keep keep a reclining seat since this isn't a dedicated track car, and it's comforting to know they won't give me too much hassle over it at some hpde or nasa events.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:55 AM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can start with your stock seat and put down some tool box liner the nonslip stuff in your seat that helps a lot and it's cheap.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:55 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Cobra Sebring pro is fia certified and fits in my T1 car but is obviously not reclining. It doesn't take long to swap seats, you can have both and just swap them for events or street
Old 11-30-2010, 11:59 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

There are LOTS of GREAT deals here on the Forum from Forum members on various different race seats WITH mounting hardware AND instructions on how the member mounted his or her seat in whatever kind of car you might have.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:06 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

You may already be aware but just in case here are a few things to keep in mind:
- As mentioned, I don't know of any HPDE groups that require FIA approved seats
- Every group I've ever seen requires the same seat and belt/harness for driver and instructor (or I should say "equivalent" seat and harness)
- If you do put in a "race" seat you should also have harnesses. The stock belts will work with the A4 since its not deeply bolstered but most other seats won't be safe with stock belts. So this means you need harness bar, etc.
- If you have harnesses, you should have a HANS device. Harnesses are dangerous without HANS. Of course, we each make our own decisions about how much risk we are willing to take.
- Swapping seats is a piece of cake if you want to have two sets. But storing them can be a problem depending on how much room/storage you have
- I've used both the Corbeau A4 and the FX1 in the C5, both fit. The FX1 is a little tight around the shoulders, you have to mount it carefully so its shoulder "wings" don't rub the door
- If you get the A4, make sure it has the hole for the sub-strap. Not all A4s do and you need it for proper harness mounting/use
- The A4 is of course worlds better than the stock seats. But the deep bucket of the FX1 and other racing seats is even better. Really hold you in so you can concentrate on driving and "feel" what the car is doing
Old 11-30-2010, 01:33 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the Corbeau FX1 Pro mounted on Hardbar seat rails in my 01 C5Z. As others have said they're very easy to swap with the stock seats. IMO they are comfortable enough for a daily driver. With the Hardbar harness bar you can also mount the stock seat belts.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:24 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i have Recaro Hans and Recaro Pole Position. Both are FIA certified. Both fit in my C5.

Hans is a tight fit and will prevent window from closing if moved all the way back. I have it on a sliding mount. If I was to use a rigid mount, it would be a better fit.

I have the narrowest version available from a factory 996 CUP car, I am pretty sure that XL/whatever wider version of Hans would have problems fitting in a C5

having said that, if you do not care about preserving "nice and clean" look and are willing to do a little cutting, you can fit almost anything into almost anything when it comes to car stuff

I also have seen a fancy kevlar full containment racetech seat (9009, I think, that should be FIA certified as well) in a C6, so that's another data point for you.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:33 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

- If you have harnesses, you should have a HANS device. Harnesses are dangerous without HANS. Of course, we each make our own decisions about how much risk we are willing to take.
there is is no data/research that proves this claim, only old wives tales/anecdotes and unsubstantiated "worst case scenario" fears

in fact, DOT research around deaths and injuries caused by partial ejections with 3pt belts suggest exactly the opposite - statistically, your chances of escaping serious injury or death are always better with a 5pt harness, regardless of any other equipment.

I am all for HANS and similar devices (own and use one myself) but let's not spread bad info here.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:28 PM
boltvette
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

If you don't want to deal with the hassle of installing and removing a racing seat, I would suggest trying a set of Angel Pads. For under $200, you get great lateral support that conforms to your size without the potential fatigue you can get from a hard surface. Match it with a harness bar and a harness, and you have the support without the cost and hassle of a racing seat with all of the extras.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:31 PM
AntonioZ06
Burning Brakes

yeah, harness bar and a good harness is something i've prepared to get as well. Corbeau has a nice retractable 4 point harness that seems pretty clever, for street and track use. I'm a skinny guy so seat sizes generally aren't an issue, but I don't want anything super tight that would make daily use (for me or my gf) uncomfortable. I know seats are an easy swap, but since it is a street car, I'm leaning towards more of the "middle of the road" racing seat. I just wish there was a corbeau distributor near me so I could test "sit" a few different seats and see what I like. And of course.....what will even fit in the car....

Also trying to retain the stock power tracks if possible. Need to measure how much head room I have left sitting the seat with a helmet on to decide.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:14 PM
TS Motorsport
Pro

I use a sparco pro2000. FIA certified and comes in fiberglass or carbon fiber versions.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:17 PM
maw455
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '08

I have Sparco Evo2's in my C5 Coupe on Hardbar rails. Evos and most, if not all of Sparco's line are FIA certified. They are not reclining though. I think you'll have a tough time finding an FIA certified reclining seat that will work.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:15 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have sparco Evo2's in my c5z06, and im not far from you if you want to sit in them. They are FIA as mentioned, but you have to run a harness.
let me know if I can help Nando
Old 12-02-2010, 11:26 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I know the racetech 4009WHR will fit.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:44 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Back when my car was a dual use car, I did the seat swap path. Taking out the stock seat is really not much more than four bolts. Installing an aftermarket one that has a mount is also just four bolts.

Corbeau makes several race seats and makes a bracket for the C5 (which is what I have for a passenger seat for DE days). For my seat I use a Cobra Suzuka on a custom mount made by Phoenix Performance (which really isn't that far from you - just east of Philly).

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Get notified of new replies

To FIA approved seats that'll fit in a C5 Z06?

Quick Reply: FIA approved seats that'll fit in a C5 Z06?