Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Slicks for a C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 04:33 PM
MP3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Slicks for a C6 Z06

Hey guys,

I'm a new corvette owner and new to the forum. I was wondering what are the best slicks I can get for my C6 Z06. I'm thinking about buying a set of wheels that can be my designated wheels for the track. Any suggestions on a set of slicks especially, but also on which wheels to pick up as the spare set?

I appreciate it,

MP3
Old 12-02-2010, 04:43 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by MP3
Hey guys,

I'm a new corvette owner and new to the forum. I was wondering what are the best slicks I can get for my C6 Z06. I'm thinking about buying a set of wheels that can be my designated wheels for the track. Any suggestions on a set of slicks especially, but also on which wheels to pick up as the spare set?

I appreciate it,

MP3
If you are also new to track days, I would actually stay on street tires for the 1st year or so. You will learn much more about handling and be safer doing it.

If you are ready for slicks, Hoosier R or A will be show you a huge difference over street tires.
I am just not familiar with the other tire brands.

Get you some Forgeline wheels. They are great.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:07 PM
billy25us
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MP3
Hey guys,

I appreciate it,

MP3
Street tires for sure as a beginner but after that either kumho v710 or hoosier r6. I get a little more life out of the kumho's.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:21 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Hoosier and Kumho make excellent race tires, but A6 and R6...and V710s are not slicks. If you really think you want slicks, I believe that most people think Michelin slicks are the best, but right now Pirelli is making excellent slicks that you (a normal Corvette owner) can actually buy.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:33 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Michelin slicks are not much more than the Hoosiers, $50-75 maybe; but their supply lately has been up and down.
They are substantially faster.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:55 PM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinke23
The Michelin slicks are not much more than the Hoosiers, $50-75 maybe; but their supply lately has been up and down.
The guy asked for the best. dfinke is right imo
Old 12-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinke23
Front: 30/65-18 S8C - soft PN 05221
Rear: 31/71-18 S9C - soft PN 32796
Old 12-02-2010, 07:58 PM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WNeal

Get you some Forgeline wheels. They are great.

which forgeline are y'all using.... i am using stock z06 wheels on my C6 and don't mind the slight outside the wheelwell by 3/4in in therear w/ 335/30 x 19 just dont like the prices
want to switch to 18 x 10 front and 18 x 11.5 in rear so i can move to scrub r888's and r6's
c
comments please

sorry to steal this chat hope OP does not mind
--tomtom
Old 12-02-2010, 08:10 PM
MP3
Intermediate

Don't mind at all. I appreciate all the replies. After looking, it appears Hoosier has the r-6's that are for the stock set of wheels. Looking on tire rack, all I can find for michelin tires are the ones that look like rain tires. Anyone have a suggestion as to where to get the michelin tire?

"Front: 30/65-18 S8C - soft PN 05221
Rear: 31/71-18 S9C - soft PN 32796 "

are those the specs for the michelin tire that would go on the stock wheels?
Old 12-02-2010, 08:45 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No Michelin slicks for the 19" rear. If you are wanting to run slicks on a C6Z, you are going to want 18x11 front and 18x13 rear wheels. There are many more tire options for 18" all around, and there are performance gains as well.

http://www.finspeed.com/Michelin-Racing-Slicks_c38.htm

BTW, the compounds below are no longer available to the public (since ALMS started using them), the S8D and S9D are available, and tend to live a little longer.

"Front: 30/65-18 S8C - soft PN 05221
Rear: 31/71-18 S9C - soft PN 32796 "

Last edited by dfinke23; 12-02-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:00 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your running slicks, hoosiers etc... Your going need a track alignment to get best even wear. Are you going to also use the car on the street.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

You said you were new to Corvettes and new to the forum, but are you new to track days/events? If so, here is one more thing for you to think about - this past year I was debating between the Michelin slicks and Hoosiers. I have used Hoosiers so I was comfortable with them, but thought "what if the Michelins give me even more grip?", and I was very tempted. Long story short, in the end I stayed with Hoosiers - the A6, not the R6, specifically because they have so much immediate grip even when cold that a novice like me has a better chance of not getting in trouble due to cold tires. The Michelin and most any other true racing slick has to get some heat in the tire over a few laps, and until it does a novice can get in trouble if you don't remember that and drive accordingly, and the red mist can play havoc with a novice. I went with the tried and true A6, even if it has a touch less ultimate grip, and my opinion is that a beginner or a novice won't know or appreciate the difference in grip between the two - but the cold tire forgiveness of the A6 is a big plus. Just my thoughts - have fun!
Old 12-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
The Michelin and most any other true racing slick has to get some heat in the tire over a few laps...
Another $2000 and that problem is solved:

http://chickenhawkracing.com/products.php?m=0&d=3
Old 12-02-2010, 10:01 PM
MP3
Intermediate

I've driven corvettes in the past at track day events. A c6 and a c6 z06, but i just bought a z06. In the past I've just used street tires, but I feel that it's time to upgrade. Why would you choose the a-6's over the r-6s?
Old 12-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MP3
I've driven corvettes in the past at track day events. A c6 and a c6 z06, but i just bought a z06. In the past I've just used street tires, but I feel that it's time to upgrade. Why would you choose the a-6's over the r-6s?
My take after using them, and after hearing it from the instructors and pros that I have hung out with, is that A6 has immediate grip when cold AND still has more ultimate grip when fully hot than the R6 - it is a softer tire. You may not get quite as many days on them as the R6, but it is a much grippier tire in any circumstance with the plus of immediate grip when cold. Many guys here use the R6 but I think more guys use the A6 on road courses, but you will hear guys swearing by both. When the guys who compete in and win T1 at the National level say the A6 is the only choice, I don't think there is much more that needs to be said. Hopefully some of them will chime in. You can't go wrong with either tire, but if you want some cold tire "insurance" with equal or greater ultimate grip when hot, go with the A6.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:36 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've run the r6 and they are a great tire. For me, I was able to get them up to temp really quick and their feedback is great. I've never run the A compound, but from everything I know about them they are well over 2 seconds faster on a 2 min. lap.
I've also run the pirelli grand am slicks that I bought used. They are not the stickiest compound in terms of slicks, but they are the only slick tire I have ever used. My thoughts are they take a very long time to warm up. Like 5 laps long before they can start putting down good laps. Prior to that they require caution as they have very little grip. Especially on cold days. The grip is so poor when cold that if not paying attention a driver could blow completely through a turn at even moderately low speed. That being said, once they are up to temp the grip is pretty amazing. I can only imagine what something like a michelin feels like. Lastly, slicks (not r compound tires) are a poor choice for anything like tt or time attack where the first couple laps count. Unless, one has tire warmers (used properly) and some help to put the car on the ground immediately before hitting the track with the driver already strapped slicks just will not perform.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:54 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

A6 is probably up to 2 seconds faster than an R6 even when hot. But good luck getting them to last long enough to make it worth it. This is one of the reason the T1 guys lap times are so good, the use A6's if they are going to win. Most of us HPDE guys want a tire that will at least last a full season (if not more) and under those circumstances losing a couple seconds using R6's is no big deal.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Slicks for a C6 Z06

Old 12-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 95jersey
A6 is probably up to 2 seconds faster than an R6 even when hot. But good luck getting them to last long enough to make it worth it. This is one of the reason the T1 guys lap times are so good, the use A6's if they are going to win. Most of us HPDE guys want a tire that will at least last a full season (if not more) and under those circumstances losing a couple seconds using R6's is no big deal.
I bought my A6s used with about 10 heat cycles on them and I then used them for two 3 day weekends and they still had a little life left when I sold them according to the last pro that drove my car. My car is very light, so maybe A6s will last a little longer on my car, and I am sure I don't push as hard as many do.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:12 AM
MP3
Intermediate

Since I'm on stock wheels right now, I was thinking about getting the matching size Hoosier r-6's for longevity. When I am ready to designate a set of wheels to track wheels, I will probably go with the 18's all around. Where are some threads I can read on the benefits of running all 18s? In the future, I might go for the Michelins.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:23 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MP3
Since I'm on stock wheels right now, I was thinking about getting the matching size Hoosier r-6's for longevity. When I am ready to designate a set of wheels to track wheels, I will probably go with the 18's all around. Where are some threads I can read on the benefits of running all 18s? In the future, I might go for the Michelins.
Here is what I have done (a VERY price conscious, but also saftey conscious person).

The OEM rims are very strong, light and high quality. Use those as your track rims. Then go out and buy a set of reproduction rims in your favorite design (100's of them available) for the street. It is the best of both worlds. You get the stronger rims for the track and now you can choose from dozens of cool aftermarket styles for the street (which will never see hard duty anway). I bought a set of 2009 black sypder rims for the street from a reputable forum vendor for $700 a set. No need to buy expensive forgeline or CCW's. You will just ruin them at the track anyway (brake dust, rubber, wear and tear). I think it is funny when I see a guy with a brand new set of $4000 rims with track tires, they are turned into junk (chips and stains) in one season and become worth nothing. Check out my 2009 repo's, they came perfectly round, paint was A+ and they are solid as a rock. I even hear lots of guys using repo's for the track, but if you need a second set of rims, why not use the stronger ones for the track. I never liked the OEM polished rims anyway....looked to bling for me. I think the black on yellow is more sinister for the street.

Also, the benefit is that you use stock wheel and sizes and will have no computer issues. I have heard guys successfully use 18" all around, but then I have heard many say the computer has put the car into "disabled" mode. I didn't want to take the chance either way. Also, you can fit 345's and 295's on the OEM rims, which is PLENTY big enough for any track day car.

Last edited by 95jersey; 12-03-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Best Slicks for a C6 Z06