Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my Pfadt package, headers and a tune by Torq

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:36 PM
PeOR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my Pfadt package, headers and a tune by Torq

All,

Just want to share what happened with my car last week. You have to click the link under the image. I didn't get the image to trigger the hyperlink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYYVGVNNxps&feature=sub

This is the movie I got from Torq which explains pretty much what happened to the car. I also go a CD with images from the transformation and can supply if someone would be interested. As shown on the movie I had them put on a Pfadt Aggressor I package, Kooks full length headers and a Vararam Air intake. Since the car was tuned from before we only gained 25 additional rwhp. On the other hand, the acceleration increased a ton. What I previously only had between 5000 and 6000 rpm I now have from 4000 up to 7000. And the engine just flies past 6000 rpm's. The car was nice before, don't get me wrong. But now it is just so much more fun.

The performance we got after the tune
0 - 60 mph 3.79 s (0.21 s improvement)
1/4 mile 12.0 s/114.5 mph (0.36 s/5.5 mph improvement)
50 - 120 mph 10.2 s/0.26 miles (1.45 s/0.03 miles improvement)

I have not been able to validate the Pfadt package yet. The setup feels really tight. It is one level harder but still fully good to use on street. It is cold in Florida this week and no tires get can grip. So I have not been able to test the balance yet. It is supposed to get back in the 70's this weekend I have a new set of R888 ready for Palm Beach International Raceway on Saturday. I have logged a number of events on my Traqmate, the latest just about a month ago on PBIR, so I am quite sure I will be able to measure a number of differences. I am planning to put my results in this thread.

Adding a video from my last event, just to have as a reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTy4O42SYYM

And last but not least, I need to recommend the guys at Torq. you can find them among the sponsor links. (http://www.gettorq.com) They are truly professionals. If anyone would like an independent opinion about them, don't ask me, I am completely sold on them..

PeO.

Last edited by PeOR; 12-08-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:54 AM
TorqHQ
Racer

Thanks for the posting Peo, we are excited to see how she responds on the track this weekend!
Old 12-13-2010, 01:14 PM
TorqHQ
Racer

Congrats on the huge success this weekend PeO!

Look forward to see the video!

/Erik
Old 12-13-2010, 10:17 PM
PeOR
Instructor

Yes, Erik. I want to thank for the great job on the car. There are really three aspects on the improvement:

1. It was fast. I reduced my record from 1.34.2 to 1.30.1 meaning 4.1 seconds. That was much more than I would dare to hope for
2. It feels much more like a race car. I loved the car before, but now I have something that likes to be out on a track. The engine is pulling stronger, the extra rev range makes the next gear go in at perhaps 4600 rpm instead of 4200 rpms. It almost feels like I got a new gear box with shorter steps.
3. The suspension is making the car very much easier to drive. When I overdrive, I feel how I am losing a bit of time, but nothing more. Very predictable, very stable, completely flat even in max turning.

A few facts then:
- 4.1 seconds better lap time, 2.0 from the suspension, 2.1 from the engine (I have a massive analysis that I spent all Sunday doing.. Happy to share)
- 148 mph on the long straight instead of 142 before, 6 mph in difference.
- I got 0.12 G better side traction
- In general I had 3-5 mph higher speed in corners, both coming into, through and out of the corners

I was running against a couple of race buddies and was able to note a few things
- My friend in the Audi R8 (465 bhp, R888) that previously did a second better than me, I now would beat in both corners as well as out on the long straight.
- A guy in a Grand Sport with R-tires was trying to keep up with me. Afterwards he came and said that when he was working in the long corners to carry the same speed as I did, he was really balancing on the edge. And at that point, my car didn't even lean a little bit. It was completely flat. I also noticed that I was pulling away from him on the long straight. Since we only found 25 rwhp on the dyno, that must mean that the Vararam intake gives some additional horsepowers at speed, as advertised.
- Finally, this was an evening event. About three laps into the movie I was passing my friend in a Roush Mustang. He was just next to me in the braking zone and afterwards explained to me that my rotors were glowing like on Nascar in the night. I would really love to have a picture of that. But I didn't. I did however use up my DTC70 to 60% in one track day. Bah. Wilwood coming up, I think.

To summarize I am really happy I did this conversion. Not only did I get faster but I also got my car to play in a new league. If it was ok with tracking before, now it loves it!. Erik - you have to help more people get converted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XfrUYnPUfc

PeO.

Last edited by PeOR; 12-28-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:44 AM
mazeroth
Advanced

PeO,

Is this a daily driven car as well as a track car? If so, what alignment did you go with? Also, what settings are you running on your suspension? Thanks.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:54 AM
PeOR
Instructor

Originally Posted by mazeroth
PeO,

Is this a daily driven car as well as a track car? If so, what alignment did you go with? Also, what settings are you running on your suspension? Thanks.
Yes, this is my daily driver. I am using the setting as defined by Pfadt in their setup Performance Street with Race tires.

http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...-alignment.pdf

Front Camber -1.8, Caster 8, Toe 0
Rear Camber -1.1, Toe -1/16"

The suspension is on position 10 front and 12 rear
http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...ns-12-7-10.pdf

PeO.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:45 PM
TorqHQ
Racer

Originally Posted by PeOR
Yes, this is my daily driver. I am using the setting as defined by Pfadt in their setup Performance Street with Race tires.

http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...-alignment.pdf

Front Camber -1.8, Caster 8, Toe 0
Rear Camber -1.1, Toe -1/16"

The suspension is on position 10 front and 12 rear
http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...ns-12-7-10.pdf

PeO.
Just to clarify the above response. Pfadt's specifications were/are used as a guideline but not what is run with this setup. After discussing the use of the vehicle with the customer, knowing him, his driving style and setup the specs were changed slightly and delivered to the customer, which seemed to work out perfectly

Paul
Old 12-14-2010, 01:55 PM
mazeroth
Advanced

Thanks for the info. I'm about to be in the same boat next week and am trying to decide what settings I want to go with. It will have to be somewhere between street and track but the reality is that I won't be going to the track very often.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:57 PM
TorqHQ
Racer

Originally Posted by mazeroth
Thanks for the info. I'm about to be in the same boat next week and am trying to decide what settings I want to go with. It will have to be somewhere between street and track but the reality is that I won't be going to the track very often.
If you are local, we can setup the suspension and alignment for you. If you are not, using Pfadt's suggestions is a great starting point or having a good local shop set it up for you
Old 12-15-2010, 03:42 PM
damenh85
Advanced

Great thread and videos- thanks for sharing!
Old 12-16-2010, 01:10 PM
PeOR
Instructor

Default Thx

Originally Posted by damenh85
Great thread and videos- thanks for sharing!

PeO.

Get notified of new replies

To Got my Pfadt package, headers and a tune by Torq

Quick Reply: Got my Pfadt package, headers and a tune by Torq