Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 12:49 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Received 548 Likes on 347 Posts

CORVETTE RACING AT VIR: GT Championships in Sight

ALMS manufacturer, team titles within reach in next-to-last round

DETROIT (Oct. 1, 2013) – Twelve months ago, Corvette Racing and Chevrolet celebrated a championship weekend at Virginia International Raceway (VIR). Now let’s fast-forward to the present day – Chevrolet and Corvette Racing are on the verge of securing a repeat championship titles in the American Le Mans Series... once again at VIR.

The Oak Tree Grand Prix on Saturday, Oct. 5 could see the ALMS GT team and manufacturer championships wrapped up. The two yellow Compuware Chevrolet Corvette C6.Rs have five victories between them: three for the No. 3 of Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen – Laguna Seca, Baltimore and Circuit of The Americas – and two for Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner in the No. 4 Corvette – Sebring and Canadian Tire Motorsport Park.

All Corvette Racing needs to win its 10th ALMS team championship is for either of the two cars to finish sixth or better in class at VIR. A victory for either Corvette would secure Chevrolet’s 10th manufacturer title with one race left in the season. That’s what happened in 2012 – Gavin and Milner’s triumph landed them the drivers’ championship, Chevrolet clinched the manufacturers’ crown and Corvette Racing wrapped up the team title.

In the drivers’ standings, Garcia and Magnussen are in the midst of a remarkable run of three wins and two podium finishes in the last six races. That streak places them in the lead of the championship despite coming away from the season’s first race at Sebring with no points.

Saturday’s race is set for 2:15 p.m. ET with live coverage on ESPN3 beginning at 2 p.m. ESPN2’s coverage airs at 5:30 p.m. ET on Sunday.

VIR, which opened in 1957, has been a happy hunting ground for Corvette’s stable of four drivers. In addition to his GT victory last year with Gavin, Milner also won in GRAND-AM competition in 2005. The Virginia native made his professional debut in GT racing a year earlier and claimed pole position.

Magnussen also is a past winner at VIR in Rolex Series competition having taken a Daytona Prototype victory in 2007. This will mark Garcia’s fourth straight year competing at the venue, and he posted the fastest GT lap of the race in 2012. He and Magnussen placed eighth in class last season.

EDITORS: High-resolution images of Corvette Racing are available on the Team Chevy media site for editorial use only.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 COMPUWARE CORVETTE C6.R

“VIR is a race track that I’ve always liked since I went there for the first time in 2010. Overall, the track has a lot of momentum and flow. The backstraight is the only place where you are not turning and are just going straight. Everywhere else, you need to place the car well. As you go toward the Oak Tree Corner, which sadly is missing the Oak Tree now – and the other side of the track, you have a section of very, very fast corners. The first time you go through there can be a little scary. No matter what car you are driving, you are flat or just breathing a little off the throttle at the last corner. The track is very challenging and very narrow with no room for even little mistakes. There is no runoff. If you crash there, it’s going to be big.”

(More conservative given lack of runoff?) “The thing about the ALMS is that you can’t be conservative. There will always be someone who is not and will be faster than you. You really need to give everything you can even if in the back of your mind, you know you will be in a big one if you go off the track. I like VIR because of that factor. You are willing to nail everything at 100 percent but if you go over just a little bit, it’s likely you will have a big off.”

(Similar to other ALMS venues?) “I would say VIR is a bit like Road America and Canadian Tire Motorsport Park. You really need to get in a rhythm, and it takes some time to get to that point. But once you are there, it looks like you are way more relaxed and the level of stress goes a little bit lower. For sure, the first time people race at VIR and go through sections like the esses, it is very stressful. But once you do it flat, you realize it is possible and you relax slightly.”

(Championship thoughts): “It’s a mistake to start thinking about the championship with still two races to go. We’ve seen that anything can happen. We need to remain focused and take care of the next two races. Then we will be champions.”

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 COMPUWARE CORVETTE C6.R

“I’ve raced at VIR in the past with the Rolex Series, and all the way back in the Panoz days we would test there. I really enjoy the track and the whole area. We will race for the first time there without the Oak Tree. It was very much the trademark of the track but it will still be a good race without it.

“The circuit is pretty narrow with some really, really fast sections. It’s very hard to pass at VIR, especially with the situation we are in with top speed. But we do have a very good-handling car. It will be tough for us to pass anyone but I have great faith in the guys that if we are a little behind, we can turn it around with a minimum of two stops. It’s different from last year when it was a four-hour race. We will have to go there and see if we can qualify toward the front. When we aren’t the fastest car, much more emphasis goes into qualifying because you can control the race from the front. It’s much harder controlling anything when you’re fifth.”

(Championship chase) “The importance of the win at Laguna Seca proved to the No. 3 team that it was possible to win. We had a whole 2012 season where we were fast and had a shot but something would always happen. As a result, we had a season with no wins. We started off at Sebring this year really poorly; Long Beach was a decent weekend but wasn’t great. Laguna proved that if we were perfect, we could win. It turned things around a little bit.

“I have to say that just because we won (in Monterey) that come VIR we would be leading the championship. After Sebring, I wrote off the championship completely. We thought we weren’t going to catch up and just went for wins. Maybe we would risk things once in awhile. Now things have changed and we’re in the lead and have to conserve things to make sure we get points.”

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 COMPUWARE CORVETTE C6.R

“VIR is very much a momentum track, and our cars are very good in those areas and on the brakes. There are a few heavy brake zones around the circuit where our car is pretty strong. It is a circuit that is very challenging and one that is narrow. It usually punishes you pretty badly if you make mistakes. You have to use every bit of the track to be quick but you have to drive it with some respect. It isn’t a place where you can really attack and be very aggressive like Road America. At VIR, you have to turn the dial back just one notch so you aren’t too aggressive. If you are, you’re going off the track, onto the grass and you’re not coming back for quite awhile. Along with that you’ll pick up all kinds of junk and rubbish in the radiator. It will for certain make your race that much harder. With all that in mind, you have to be aware that it can bite you.”

(Championship outlook after COTA) “What happened in Austin was bitterly disappointing. From us leading in the championship and being in control of our title run, now we are very much on the back foot with only two races to go and us having to have other people run into poor luck. For Tommy and I, we won’t necessarily be driving with caution in mind. We really just have to go for it and go for wins over the next two races. We have to try and score maximum points to give ourselves a chance and see how others’ races go. There still is some 12 hours and 45 minutes of racing to go in the season so there is still plenty that can happen. We know from our experience at COTA that it can turn around very quickly. It’s not all lost and the possibility of winning is still there. But it does give us a mountain to climb. We can’t afford to sit back and be content to collect points. We have to maximize every opportunity.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 COMPUWARE CORVETTE C6.R

“The track does have significance in my career. It was where I got my start in professional GT racing. I did my first race there in 2004 with my dad’s team and won my first GT pole – I outqualified Bill Auberlen and Boris Said to do that. It was great to go there last year and clinch my first ALMS championship at VIR where my GT racing career started. That was pretty special to have that connection at a race track like that. It’s a fantastic circuit with a very pretty setting and has a traditional, old-school feel to it. They took a piece of land, put down roads where it looked good, left the elevation changes and didn’t touch much of the surrounding area. That’s how Canadian Tire Motorsport Park is, and that’s how VIR is. I have fun racing on those tracks and have had recent success racing there, so let’s hope that continues.”

(On difference in venues between Austin and VIR) “I would rate COTA and VIR similar in their feel, so to speak. The big difference is that Austin is very wide and spacious with a lot of run-off room, and VIR is very narrow and doesn’t have a lot of run-off. The flow to the racetrack is very similar between the two. Obviously, your heart rate is a little bit higher at VIR; you know that any little mistake will send you off the track. Fortunately there is a lot of grass and not anything solid! But running on grass will slow down your momentum and kill your laptime and lot faster than running on dirty asphalt like at COTA.

(Traffic concerns) “One of my concerns last year was traffic, based on experience from years past. The track was just as narrow as I remembered. But as the race went on and traffic went along, for the most part it wasn’t nearly as bad as I expected. Everyone played nicely. The way the classes were spaced at that moment suited what the track offered. Yes, there are sections where traffic holds you up, and it is frustrating. You wish the slower cars weren’t there. But I can tell you from experience that there are tracks where it’s way worse than that just because of the nature of the track and how the corners are linked. I didn’t have any real issue last year and I don’t see it being any bigger of a problem this year.”

DOUG FEHAN, CORVETTE RACING PROGRAM MANAGER

“VIR is a venue that promotes fantastic racing. Even with a lap of more than three miles, there is no chance to rest with a great combination of slow-to mid-speed turns early in the lap and then a very long section of high-speed corners and a massive backstretch. As evidenced at all our previous events, the competition in the ALMS GT class is extremely well balanced. Winning here will take a total team effort – the kind of effort that wins championships.”

Oak Tree Grand Prix (all times ET)

GT Testing: 3:30-5 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 3
Practice 1: 10:25 a.m., Friday, Oct. 4
Practice 2: 2:30 p.m., Friday, Oct. 4
GT Qualifying: 4:05 p.m., Friday, Oct. 4
Warmup: 9:35 a.m., Saturday, Oct. 5
Race: 2:15 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 5

VIR: Watch It!

Friday, Oct. 4-Sunday, Oct. 6 (all times ET)

Qualifying: Live – 3:35 p.m., Friday, Oct. 4 (ESPN3)
Race (Web): Live – 2 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 5 (ESPN3)
Race (TV): 5:30 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 6 (ESPN2)
Old 10-03-2013, 04:02 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

ANTONIO GARCIA: Inside Track at VIR

Last year may have been the first race for the American Le Mans Series at VIR, but it wasn’t the first visit there for Antonio Garcia. Corvette Racing’s speedy Spaniard raced there twice in the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports car Series’ Daytona Prototype class, and he parlayed that experience into the fastest GT race lap in the ALMS’ debut last season – 1:47.389 (109.620 mph).

Garcia, who leads the ALMS GT championship with Jan Magnussen in the No. 3 Compuware Chevrolet Corvette C6.R, tells you what he looks for during a lap at VIR.

“VIR is a race track that I’ve always liked since I went there for the first time in 2010. Overall, the track has a lot of momentum and flow. The backstraight is the only place where you are not turning and are just going straight. Everywhere else, you need to place the car well – especially in the first bit where there is a little combination of some slow-speed corners. As you go toward the Oak Tree Corner, which sadly is missing the Oak Tree now – and the other side of the track, you have a section of very, very fast corners. The first time you go through there can be a little scary. No matter what car you are driving, you are flat or just breathing a little on the throttle at the last corner. The track is very challenging and very narrow with no room for even little mistakes.

“Braking is very important into Turn 1 and also at the end of the backstraight. You need to be able to brake very late because both of the entries are rather bumpy. You really need to nail the curbing where you shift just to make the line smooth. Through the esses, drivers – like Jan! – run over all the curbing. The esses give you the chance to do that although I’m not really keen on working on the curbs. I have a line through there where I don’t use a lot of curbing. But going through there really is the moment of your lap. Everyone tries to take a line to get through there as flat as possible until the last right-hander before the downhill toward Oak Tree. I don’t think there is much to be gained by going flat versus breathing a little bit. Another point is the Oak Tree corner. In the past, the Oak Tree would not really let you see the apex because it would be right behind the tree. I don’t know how it will be now, but for sure the corner is one where you need to give away the entry a little in order to go back on power early because the backstraight is so long. From Turn 4 up until Oak Tree are the key points of the race track.

“If you’re running in a group or in traffic, for sure the most difficult section would be the esses. Really it’s Turn 3 up until Oak Tree is the most important. If you are in a group, chasing traffic or traffic is catching you, that does give you a chance to make up time on your competition if you get through there cleanly. It’s important that if someone is coming on you that you let him know where you are going to go and where you want to be passed. Otherwise there can be a misunderstanding between drivers and that’s when big crashes happen.”

Saturday’s race is set for 2:15 p.m. ET with live coverage on ESPN3 beginning at 2 p.m. ESPN2’s coverage airs at 5:30 p.m. ET on Sunday.

· GT Testing: 3:30-5 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 3

· Practice 1: 10:25 a.m., Friday, Oct. 4

· Practice 2: 2:30 p.m., Friday, Oct. 4

· GT Qualifying: 4:05 p.m., Friday, Oct. 4

· Warmup: 9:35 a.m., Saturday, Oct. 5

· Race: 2:15 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 5

Friday, Oct. 4-Sunday, Oct. 6 (all times ET)

· Qualifying: Live – 3:35 p.m., Friday, Oct. 4 (ESPN3)

· Race (Web): Live – 2 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 5 (ESPN3)

· Race (TV): 5:30 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 6 (ESPN2)
Old 10-04-2013, 05:41 AM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Do you know if there will be live coverage on a local radio station for the VIR ALMS OAK TREE GRAND PRIX this Sat.? I am on the road going there now.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:48 AM
cor123
Melting Slicks

If you are planning to attend the Oak Tree Grand Prix bring your AM/FM radio. The race will be broadcast locally on WBTM 1330AM and 102.5 FM!
Old 10-04-2013, 08:52 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

CORVETTE RACING AT VIR: Uphill Climb Following Qualifying

Magnussen eighth in GT; Milner ninth following spin on oil slick

ALTON, Va. (Oct. 4, 2013) – Corvette Racing faces a tall mountain to climb for Saturday’s Oak Tree Grand Prix at Virginia International Raceway. The two Compuware Chevrolet Corvette C6.Rs qualified eighth and ninth Friday in the American Le Mans Series’ ultra-competitive GT class.

Jan Magnussen in the No. 3 Compuware Corvette set the team’s best time in the 15-minute session at 1:46.923 (110.098 mph). Tommy Milner, driving the No. 4 Corvette, was next in the order at 1:47.038 (109.980 mph) but the defending race and ALMS GT co-champion spun on another car’s oil and fluid at VIR’s famed Oak Tree turn with four minutes left in the session. The damage was confined to the front-left portion of the Corvette.

Corvette Racing seeks its 10th ALMS GT team championship, which it can achieve with a sixth-place class finish or better. Chevrolet will wrap up the manufacturer title with a victory in Saturday’s race, set for 2:15 p.m. ET. Live coverage on ESPN3 begins at 2 p.m.; ESPN2’s coverage airs at 5:30 p.m. ET on Sunday.

Magnussen and Antonio Garcia are on a two-race winning streak, and their three victories are the most in the GT class this season. The pair leads the drivers’ championship by 13 points – 44 remain over the final two rounds.

Milner and Oliver Gavin won last year’s race at VIR to take the drivers’ title. It also delivered the manufacturer championship for Chevrolet and team title to Corvette Racing. Entering the weekend, they stand third in the GT standings and are 18 points back of their teammates in the No. 3 Corvette.

EDITORS: High-resolution images of Corvette Racing are available on the Team Chevy media site for editorial use only.

“That was a tough session for both Corvettes. The car was actually pretty balanced.

The only strategy we can look at now is that we need to react to what everyone else does. We need to try to stay clean and get as many points we can. The chance of getting 20 points is slim. But if we’re good for 10 points, we’d better get 10 points.”

“Looking at the track now, you can see a pretty big wet spot on the track. I had just wound up for another quick lap and wound some front brake bias into the car. My first indication of it was when I went for the brakes and locked the front. The first reaction was that I went too far on the front brake bias and just went off. I started apologizing to the crew over the radio. When I finished, Chuck (Houghton, No. 4 engineer) said, ‘I don’t think it was your fault. It looks like there was something on the race track.’

(The session) “It’s not the best qualifying all the way around. We have struggled all weekend but I think everyone has with grip levels and other areas. Maybe we are having the worst of it. We’re not miles off the pace but would like to be farther up the grid than where we are now. The good thing is that our pit crews have been phenomenal all year long. We are making the most of things because we have the right strategy calls, not making mistakes and the pit work has been great. They’ll always be up to the task and will gain us a couple spots if we need.”

“Today was a difficult and frustrating day. Weather conditions compounded by a tricky and dirty race track proved to be a difficult challenge to overcome. But those out there at follow Corvette Racing know that we never give up. COTA was a perfect example of coming home victorious and not necessarily having the fastest car.”

· Warmup: 9:35 a.m., Saturday, Oct. 5

· Race: 2:15 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 5

Saturday, Oct. 4-Sunday, Oct. 6 (all times ET)

· Race (Web): Live – 2 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 5 (ESPN3)

· Race (TV): 5:30 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 6 (ESPN2)
Old 10-08-2013, 01:25 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

2013 16th Annual Petit Le Mans Powered by Mazda

Road Atlanta, Braselton, GA, USA
October 16 - 19, 2013

Live Qualifying:
10/18/2013 at 1:50 pm EDT

Live Streaming:
10/19/2013 at 11:30 am EDT

Television Broadcast:
10/19/2013 at 11:00 am EDT on Fox Sports 2

11 am - 12pm EDT on FOX Sports 2
2:30pm - 6:30pm EDT on FOX Sports 2
6:30pm - 8pm EDT on FOX Sports 1
8pm - 9:30pm EDT FOX Sports 2

Encore Presentation:
10/20/2013 at 4:00 pm EDT on Fox Sports 1

LIVE TIMING:
http://scoring.alms.com/

Live Timing for mobile device:
http://scoring.alms.com/mobile.html

PIT NOTES:
http://twitter.com/almsnotes

https://twitter.com/corvetteracing

RADIO ALMS
http://www.alms.com/camera/live-audio-broadcast

Live onboard cameras:
http://www.alms.com/camera/live-audio-broadcast

TICKET INFO:
1-800-849-RACE
Make sure you order the Corvette Corral parking corral ticket
http://www.roadatlanta.com/ev_petit.lasso

Event Schedule:
http://www.imsaracing.net/2013/event...upp%20Regs.pdf

Spotters Guide:
http://www.spotterguides.com/

Corvette Corral: (click on Corvette Corral-info not posted yet)
http://www.alms.com/car-corral

Entry List: Not listed

Track Map:
http://www.alms.com/sites/default/fi...ck%20Map_0.pdf

Facility Map:
http://www.imsaracing.net/2011/event...-Petit-Map.pdf

WEATHER:
http://www.weather.com/outlook/healt...ayLink_fitness
Old 10-08-2013, 01:34 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

is there going to be espn3 stream? if not that sucks since i dont get foxsports 2 just 1
Old 10-08-2013, 02:32 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Yes, me too. Luckily, I will be at the race and can tape the encore on fx 1. I have emailed Comcast already to include fx 2.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:36 PM
08velocity
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by cor123
Yes, me too. Luckily, I will be at the race and can tape the encore on fx 1. I have emailed Comcast already to include fx 2.
Us too, we will be at the race, and going to dvr it also !!! little over a week can not wait !!!! our first actual race at RA, done alot of parade laps and some hot laps also soooo stoked ! first time in corvette corral also .
Old 10-10-2013, 03:09 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

We have been to every Petit Le Mans since 1999. The Corvette Corral sits on top of hill and the area is beautiful. Just don't wear anything that that you don't mind getting dirty or even stained. You will get red clay dust or mud everywhere! Socks and shoes stay permanently red!

We are picking up our C7 on Wednesday and driving Thursday to the track. Just look for a Laguna Blue C7. That's us!!
Old 10-10-2013, 04:41 PM
08velocity
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by cor123
We have been to every Petit Le Mans since 1999. The Corvette Corral sits on top of hill and the area is beautiful. Just don't wear anything that that you don't mind getting dirty or even stained. You will get red clay dust or mud everywhere! Socks and shoes stay permanently red!

We are picking up our C7 on Wednesday and driving Thursday to the track. Just look for a Laguna Blue C7. That's us!!
Nice !!! love that new color !! can't wait to see it . Scott .
Old 10-15-2013, 02:26 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

CORVETTE RACING AT PETIT LE MANS: One More Title To Go

Garcia, Magnussen look for ALMS GT drivers’ title at end of 1,000-mile enduro

DETROIT (Oct. 14, 2014) – Only one more race separates Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen from the American Le Mans Series’ GT drivers’ championship. Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta is the site of the final round of the 2013 ALMS but also the series’ finale as well. The 1,000-mile/10-hour endurance classic has been a staple at Road Atlanta – an hour northeast of Atlanta – since its first running in 1998.

After nine of 10 rounds in this year’s championship, Garcia and Magnussen in the No. 3 Compuware Chevrolet Corvette C6.R lead their sole remaining challenger – Dirk Muller – by 16 points with 24 available to the winner at Petit Le Mans. The Corvette Racing camp is aiming for a second straight clean sweep of the ALMS GT titles. It clinched a 10th series team championship and won Chevrolet’s 10th manufacturer title in the previous race at Virginia International Raceway. The championship chase concludes at Road Atlanta with live coverage starting at 11 a.m. ET on FOX Sports 2; the race’s broadcast alternates between it and FOX Sports 1.

No duo in the GT class can match Garcia and Magnussen’s three victories in 2013: Laguna Seca, Baltimore and Austin. For Petit Le Mans, they will team with newly crowned GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series Daytona Prototype champion Jordan Taylor. The group must finish seventh or higher at Road Atlanta for Garcia and Magnussen to win the driving title; they were second last year.

If they do, the duo would succeed Corvette Racing teammates Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner as champions. Richard Westbrook returns to join them in the No. 4 Compuware Corvette; the trio opened the ALMS season with a remarkable, come-from-behind victory at Sebring. Gavin is the team’s winningest driver at Road Atlanta with five victories.

With five wins on the season, Corvette Racing is assured of being the ALMS’ most successful entrant in series history. The list of achievements is remarkable – 82 victories, 10 team and manufacturer titles, and 64 pole positions. All are American Le Mans Series records.

Starting in January, a new era begins with the debut of the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship – a result of a merger between the ALMS and GRAND-AM. The season will open with the Rolex 24 at Daytona and close with Petit Le Mans.

(Championship strategy) “We need to keep racing as we have up to this point. We need to use a percentage of caution; we won’t risk as much during the race as we normally would. But in this case, you can’t hold back and wait. If you hold back a little too much, you become vulnerable. We need to keep the same strategy – try to be up front and stay out of trouble.”

“We all just need to stay calm and relax. The key is to remain consistent and keep doing the same things we have earlier in the year.”

(Being successful at Road Atlanta) “The key thing is that we normally have a few more cars and new people running in the race. The amount of traffic rises, as does the risk. Because Road Atlanta is not so easy on traffic due to the layout, you need to take it easy. You also need to have a smart, safe strategy and don’t try to do something out of sequence and completely different than anything from the season.”

(Championship strategy) “We will have to keep our eye on the ball and win the championship. That’s not to say we can’t go for a victory, but we do need to make sure we get the championship. The situation is looking quite good for us but it is a long race. Our main competitors will be strong but our car is usually excellent as well at Road Atlanta. We need to be clever about it – push when we need to but also smart when need to.”

(Keys to victory) “Because of the race’s length, the team plays a much bigger part. There is a ton of strategy involved and there are more pit stops. Fortunately for us, we have been able to do a really good job at both. The longer distances will suit our team even more and usually we are quite strong. We do put a lot of time and effort into stops and making the right strategy calls.”

JORDAN TAYLOR, NO. 3 COMPUWARE CORVETTE C6.R

“Finishing the last three races in the Rolex Series and winning those races, there isn’t a much better feeling. Having those victories and a championship is the best possible way to come into Petit Le Mans. I’m really excited to get back to the Corvette and the team since the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The No. 3 team has had a great season so far. My job is to help them to win a championship.”

(Taming the track) “Road Atlanta is one of the more traditional courses we have in America. There is a lot of speed, and the track flows very well. It’s a fun track to drive but when you get into a race situation with traffic, it can be frustrating and stressful if you’re stuck behind a slower GT car or trying to hold off a prototype in certain sections. Things can get pretty stressful and it’s easy to lose a ton of time. If you lose a little bit of rhythm or momentum at a place like Road Atlanta – where you are going by rhythm or momentum – you can lose sync of everything and wonder where your lap time went. It’s a big track for confidence and believing in yourself and the car.”

“The race really is one of the crown jewels of the sports car racing world. It’s an event many teams from outside the series want to do. A thousand miles around Road Atlanta is a great challenge. The track is fast and unforgiving. It can frustrate you when you’re in traffic, but sometime you can use that your advantage if someone is chasing you. It’s a track that is suited for this race with the fact you go from starting in the middle of the day and ending at night. Those last couple of hours, you know is going to be hard and tough after racing all day. It will be a fine way to finish off the story that has been the ALMS.”

(Adding a Petit Le Mans win to Sebring) “That has to be the goal. We’ve had some ups and downs starting at Sebring. We had a great victory in Canada before things started going downhill for us. When you have three bad races in a year, you have to be super-lucky to come away with a championship. Considering how difficult this class is, you get one ‘get out of jail free’ card. Jan and Antonio played their card at Sebring, but since then they have nailed it every single weekend. They’ve had a very strong season and deserve to be leading the championship with one race to go. Let’s hope they can seal it at Petit Le Mans and get us all three championships again for Corvette Racing. It would be an amazing feat to close the American Le Mans Series with Corvette Racing and Chevrolet as champions in everything we can win.”

“There is a lot to race for, that’s for sure. We can’t win the championship – we’re one point out of having a chance. We’d love to be second in the final standings. But from my perspective I’d rather go for a win at Petit Le Mans – the last ALMS race and one race I haven’t won yet. That’s higher on my list than finishing second or staying third in the standings. It’s a big race – where the ALMS started. Sebring and this one were races coming into the year that I definitely wanted to win. We got Sebring in March and if we can get Sebring, I’d be able to look back on this season and be satisfied with what Oliver, Richard and I have accomplished. There would be nothing better to end the season and the ALMS’ run with a victory.”

(Track characteristics) “Road Atlanta is a track that suits multi-class racing. There is an ebb and flow with traffic throughout the race within our class. It’s one I’ve always enjoyed. It’s incredibly fast and fun circuit. For whatever reason, I seem to get a little more excited for Petit Le Mans. The whole picture of that event makes it pretty special. It’s always well-subscribed by fans.”

RICHARD WESTBROOK, NO. 4 COMPUWARE CORVETTE C6.R

“Petit Le Mans is one of the classics. In the sports car racing world, you’ve got the Le Mans 24 Hours, Sebring and Petit Le Mans. This is where the ALMS started. It will always be a very special event. Any driver that wins it will put it straight away on their CV. Driving a Corvette in Petit Le Mans also is a very special thing. We have a great turnout with the Corvette owners in the Corvette Corral – one of the biggest of the year. So being a Corvette driver at Road Atlanta is an incredibly special thing.”

(Dealing with traffic) “For a driver, and it’s something I have to be mindful of – you have to be patient. It’s a short track with a very large field. It’s easy to get bottled up for half your stint or even your whole stint in traffic. It’s so easy to be caught up in other people’s battles. You need to be patient early and let the racing take care of itself in the last couple hours.

(A good track) “This definitely is a track that suits our car. It’s has a long straight, a really fast section with a lot of high-speed corners. You also have the slow chicane where you are braking from very high speed. It’s a great indicator of how your car is generally because it has a bit of everything.”

“Over the years, Petit Le Mans has proven to be one of the most exciting events on our schedule. From a driver's perspective, the Road Atlanta circuit presents an extremely difficult challenge featuring a lot of elevation change mixed with very high-speed corners. And none of that is wasted on our fans who truly understand how important this year's race will be to Corvette Racing. We come in having wrapped up both the ALMS manufacturers' and team championships, which leaves the all-important drivers' championship still up for grabs. Jan and Antonio have fought back all year to take the lead in points and Petit Le Mans will decide who goes home with the crown. You can't ask for any more drama than that!"

Petit Le Mans (all times ET)

Wednesday, Oct. 16-Saturday, Oct. 19

· Test Session: 2:15 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 16

· Practice 1: 10:45 a.m., Thursday, Oct. 17

· Practice 2: 2:45 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 17

· Practice 3: 7 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 17

· Practice 4: 10:20 a.m., Friday, Oct. 18

· GT Qualifying: 2:05 p.m., Friday, Oct. 18

· Warmup: 9:15 a.m., Saturday, Oct. 19

· Race: 11:30 a.m., Saturday, Oct. 19

Petit Le Mans: Watch It!

Friday, Oct. 18-Saturday, Oct. 19 (all times ET)

· Qualifying: 1:50 p.m., Friday, Oct. 18 (ALMS.com)

· Race (TV): 11 a.m.-noon, 2:30-6:30 p.m. (FOX Sports 2); 6:30-8 p.m. (FOX Sports 1); 8-9:30 p.m. (FOX Sports 2)

· Race (Web): 11 a.m., Saturday, Oct. 19 (ALMS.com)

Corvette Racing History at Road Atlanta

Year
Class
Drivers
Result
Car
Notes

GTS
Fellows/Kneifel/Paul Jr.
5th
Corvette C5-R

Pilgrim/Collins/Sharp
4th
Corvette C5-R

GTS
Fellows/Kneifel/Bell
3rd
Corvette C5-R
Fellows pole

Pilgrim/Collins/Freon
1st
Corvette C5-R

GTS
Fellows/O'Connell
9th
Corvette C5-R

Collins/Pilgrim/Freon
1st
Corvette C5-R
Pilgrim pole

GTS
Fellows/O'Connell/Gavin
1st
Corvette C5-R

Collins/Pilgrim/Freon
3rd
Corvette C5-R
Pilgrim fastest race lap

2003*
GTS
Fellows/O'Connell
3rd
Corvette C5-R

Collins/Gavin
1st
Corvette C5-R

GTS
Fellows/O'Connell/Freon
5th
Corvette C5-R

Collins/Gavin/Pilgrim
3rd
Corvette C5-R

GTS
Fellows/O'Connell/Papis
2nd
Corvette C5-R

Beretta/Gavin/Magnussen
1st
Corvette C5-R
Gavin pole, fastest race lap

2005*
GT1
Fellows/O'Connell
1st
Corvette C6.R
O'Connell pole, fastest race lap

Beretta/Gavin
2nd
Corvette C6.R

GT1
Fellows/O'Connell/Papis
6th
Corvette C6.R

Beretta/Gavin/Magnussen
1st
Corvette C6.R
Beretta pole, Gavin fastest race lap

GT1
Fellows/O'Connell/Papis
4th
Corvette C6.R
O'Connell pole

Beretta/Gavin/Magnussen
3rd
Corvette C6.R
Gavin fastest race lap

GT1
Magnussen/O'Connell/Fellows
3rd
Corvette C6.R

Beretta/Gavin/Papis
1st
Corvette C6.R
Gavin fastest race lap

GT1
1st
Corvette C6.R
O'Connell pole, Magnussen fastest race lap

Beretta/Gavin/Papis
2nd
Corvette C6.R

GT2
Magnussen/O'Connell/Garcia
6th
Corvette C6.R

Beretta/Gavin/Fassler
4th
Corvette C6.R

GT
Beretta/O'Connell/Garcia
6th
Corvette C6.R

Gavin/Magnussen/Collard
1st
Corvette C6.R
Magnussen fastest race lap

GT
Beretta/Milner/Garcia
17th
Corvette C6.R

Gavin/Magnussen/Westbrook
4th
Corvette C6.R

GT
Garcia/Magnussen/Taylor
2nd
Corvette C6.R

Gavin/Milner/Westbrook
12th
Corvette C6.R

* Denotes two-hour, 45-minute race

ALMS GT Championship Standings

Driver Standings
Team Standings
Manufacturer Standings

1. Antonio Garcia/Jan Magnussen – 125

2. Dirk Muller – 109

3. Oliver Gavin/Tommy Milner – 100

4. Dominik Farnbacher/Marc Goossens - 93

5. Bill Auberlen - 82
1. Corvette Racing – 161

2. BMW Team RLL – 120

3. SRT Motorsports – 109

4. Risi Competizione - 56

5. CORE autosport – 48
1. Chevrolet – 164

2. BMW – 134

3. SRT – 123

4. Ferrari – 109

5. Porsche – 95

Connect with Corvette Racing and Team Chevy on social media. Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/TeamChevy, follow us on Twitter @CorvetteRacing and @TeamChevy, and add +TeamChevy into your Google+ circles.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:37 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 367 Likes on 314 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

I'll never forget being in the paddock for the 1st win over Oreca.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:55 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

CORVETTE RACING AT PETIT LE MANS: Solid Start in Last Title Push

GT championship co-leader Garcia qualifies No. 3 Corvette fourth in GT; Gavin seventh in No. 4

BRASELTON, Ga. (Oct. 18, 2013) – The final race for the Chevrolet Corvette C6.R will see two of Corvette Racing’s GT challengers starting fourth and seventh on the GT grid for Saturday’s Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta. Antonio Garcia qualified the No. 3 Compuware Corvette fourth with a lap of 1:19.128 (115.560 mph) in the finale of the American Le Mans Series.

Garcia and Jan Magnussen enter the 1,000-mile/10-hour race leading the GT drivers’ championship. With three wins this season, the duo needs a seventh-place finish or better Saturday with Jordan Taylor to clinch the title. Their only challenger for the title – Dirk Muller – will start fifth. The top seven cars were within 0.579 seconds of each other.

Garcia set his best time on his final lap of the session to beat Muller’s time. The No. 3 Corvette placed second in last year’s Petit Le Mans, and a similar showing Saturday would give Corvette Racing a drivers’ championship for the ninth time since 2001. Magnussen won the 2008 GT1 title, and Garcia was third in last year’s GT standings with Magnussen for his best championship finish.

In the ALMS’ previous round at VIR, Chevrolet clinched its 10th manufacturers’ championship, and Corvette won an ALMS team title for the 10th time.

Gavin, driving with Tommy Milner and Richard Westbrook, set a best lap of 1:19.440 (115.106 mph) in the No. 4 Corvette. The trio hopes to bookend their season with a victory to match a season-opening win in March at the 12 Hours of Sebring. Gavin and Milner – last year’s ALMS champions – stand third in this season’s drivers’ points and have a chance to move up to the runner-up position in the final standings.

Saturday’s race begins at 11:30 a.m. ET with live coverage alternating between FOX Sports 1 and FOX Sports 2.

“We had a decent setup and decent pace compared to where we have been in past races. I felt like I could really attack. We seem to be a little closer to our competitors than where we expected. It’s a very good starting position for a long race. No one will be taking risks right away. The more toward the front you are, the less chance there is of having an issue. This is a good starting point. Now we need to run a clean race. Who knows – for sure we want to make 70 percent. After that, we will go for the win.”

“We are still searching for some punch out of the slow-speed corners. We also were looking for some direction change in the middle of the corners and made some adjustments before qualifying. I think we overshot with that. Now we have a car that is very much the other way and oversteering everywhere. I couldn’t attack any of the corners or carry my brakes all the way in. I was very nervous with the rear of the car, and my steering inputs were very, very small. It was the sort of stuff you expect when you have a little too much on the nose of the car and the rear is too light. But it’s a long race. We will take seventh place; we have worked our way up well from those positions all year. I’m pretty confident we can do it again. We will get the car right and will be there in the race.”

“One of the main goals of the session was to start in front of the BMW, which we accomplished. Antonio put in a great final lap, and Oliver positioned the No. 4 to help the team car fight for the championship. Now the goal is to have a clean, mistake-free race under very competitive conditions to wrap up our ninth ALMS drivers’ title – a remarkable feat over the last 15 years. The drivers, engineers and crew have performed brilliantly under pressure all season. Now it comes down to the final race. We are prepared and ready.”

Petit Le Mans (all times ET)

· Warmup: 9:15 a.m., Saturday, Oct. 19

· Race: 11:30 a.m., Saturday, Oct. 19

Petit Le Mans: Watch It!

· Race (TV): 11 a.m.-noon, 2:30-6:30 p.m. (FOX Sports 2); 6:30-8 p.m. (FOX Sports 1); 8-9:30 p.m. (FOX Sports 2)

· Race (Web): 11 a.m., Saturday, Oct. 19 (ALMS.com)

ALMS GT Championship Standings

Driver Standings
Team Standings
Manufacturer Standings

1. Antonio Garcia/Jan Magnussen – 125

2. Dirk Muller – 109

3. Oliver Gavin/Tommy Milner – 100

4. Dominik Farnbacher/Marc Goossens - 93

5. Bill Auberlen - 82
1. Corvette Racing – 161

2. BMW Team RLL – 120

3. SRT Motorsports – 109

4. Risi Competizione - 56

5. CORE autosport – 48
1. Chevrolet – 164

2. BMW – 134

3. SRT – 123

4. Ferrari – 109

5. Porsche – 95

Corvette Racing History at Road Atlanta

Year
Class
Drivers
Result
Car
Notes

GTS
Fellows/Kneifel/Paul Jr.
5th
Corvette C5-R

Pilgrim/Collins/Sharp
4th
Corvette C5-R

GTS
Fellows/Kneifel/Bell
3rd
Corvette C5-R
Fellows pole

Pilgrim/Collins/Freon
1st
Corvette C5-R

GTS
Fellows/O'Connell
9th
Corvette C5-R

Collins/Pilgrim/Freon
1st
Corvette C5-R
Pilgrim pole

GTS
Fellows/O'Connell/Gavin
1st
Corvette C5-R

Collins/Pilgrim/Freon
3rd
Corvette C5-R
Pilgrim fastest race lap

2003*
GTS
Fellows/O'Connell
3rd
Corvette C5-R

Collins/Gavin
1st
Corvette C5-R

GTS
Fellows/O'Connell/Freon
5th
Corvette C5-R

Collins/Gavin/Pilgrim
3rd
Corvette C5-R

GTS
Fellows/O'Connell/Papis
2nd
Corvette C5-R

Beretta/Gavin/Magnussen
1st
Corvette C5-R
Gavin pole, fastest race lap

2005*
GT1
Fellows/O'Connell
1st
Corvette C6.R
O'Connell pole, fastest race lap

Beretta/Gavin
2nd
Corvette C6.R

GT1
Fellows/O'Connell/Papis
6th
Corvette C6.R

Beretta/Gavin/Magnussen
1st
Corvette C6.R
Beretta pole, Gavin fastest race lap

GT1
Fellows/O'Connell/Papis
4th
Corvette C6.R
O'Connell pole

Beretta/Gavin/Magnussen
3rd
Corvette C6.R
Gavin fastest race lap

GT1
3rd
Corvette C6.R

Beretta/Gavin/Papis
1st
Corvette C6.R
Gavin fastest race lap

GT1
1st
Corvette C6.R
O'Connell pole, Magnussen fastest race lap

Beretta/Gavin/Papis
2nd
Corvette C6.R

GT2
Magnussen/O'Connell/Garcia
6th
Corvette C6.R

Beretta/Gavin/Fassler
4th
Corvette C6.R

GT
Beretta/O'Connell/Garcia
6th
Corvette C6.R

Gavin/Magnussen/Collard
1st
Corvette C6.R
Magnussen fastest race lap

GT
Beretta/Milner/Garcia
17th
Corvette C6.R

Gavin/Magnussen/Westbrook
4th
Corvette C6.R

GT
Garcia/Magnussen/Taylor
2nd
Corvette C6.R

Gavin/Milner/Westbrook
12th
Corvette C6.R

* Denotes two-hour, 45-minute race
Old 12-31-2013, 08:50 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

CORVETTE RACING AT DAYTONA: The Start of a New Era

Corvette C7.R to make public debut at ‘Roar Before the 24’ ahead of TUDOR Championship

DETROIT (Dec. 31, 2013) – A new beginning for Corvette Racing is on the horizon with a new car set to debut in a new season for a new championship. The Roar Before the 24 at Daytona International Speedway will be the site of first public laps for the Chevrolet Corvette C7.R. The Jan. 3-5 test is a dress rehearsal for the 52nd Rolex 24 At Daytona – the first race for the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship.

The two Corvettes will compete in the TUDOR Championship’s GT Le Mans class for the full season. After winning back-to-back driver’s, team and manufacturer’s titles in the American Le Mans Series’ GT category with the venerable Corvette C6.R, the C7.R has big shoes – errr, tires – to fill. The C6.R won 55 races around the world: four at the 24 Hours of Le Mans and 51 in the American Le Mans Series.

"It will be fantastic to finally see the Chevrolet Corvette C7.R on the track alongside our competition in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship," said Mark Kent, Director of Chevrolet Racing. "This should be another season of the extremely competitive GT racing that we have become accustomed to seeing. The C7.R is the result of a massive amount of teamwork between our Corvette design team at Chevrolet, Pratt & Miller Engineering and GM's Powertrain group. We hope their collective efforts will provide Corvette Racing a successful debut season with the C7.R."

The faces behind the wheel remain largely intact from a year ago. Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen – ALMS GT champions with three victories in 2013 – will team again in the No. 3 Chevrolet Corvette. Tommy Milner and Oliver Gavin – the 2012 ALMS GT champions – are back together in the No. 4 car winning twice last season. For both the Rolex 24 and Sebring 12 Hours, Ryan Briscoe will join the No. 3 lineup with Robin Liddell in the No. 4 Corvette.

With the full unveil of the Corvette C7.R set for Jan. 13 at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, the two race cars will run in camouflage livery for the three-day test. Aside from private testing of the C7.R earlier this year, the Roar will mark Corvette Racing’s first time at Daytona International Speedway since the team won overall at the 2001 Rolex 24. Ron Fellows, Johnny O’Connell, Franck Freon and Chris Kneifel drove the victorious Corvette C5-R.

The Rolex 24 also was the site of Corvette Racing’s debut on Jan. 31, 1999. Since that first race, the team has competed in 150 other events around the globe with 90 victories worldwide, 10 team and manufacturer championships in the ALMS and seven victories at the Le Mans 24 Hours.

The TUDOR Championship is the result of a merger between the ALMS and GRAND-AM’s Rolex Sports Car Series. Corvette Racing will compete in 11 races around North America plus the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

“It’s definitely a step forward and in the right direction on everything we were probably lacking from last year. We still need to get used to knowing how the car behaves. It’s definitely an important time now to learn every single aspect of the car. Now it’s time to really try different things on our side – driving style and everything else to see if we need to change or adapt a few things to be more efficient in this car. The good thing is that we have been able to improve the whole package. It feels more or less like driving the C6.R but one step above on every single thing. Now we may be in the same spots as the C6 but have to improve on other points. Now we need to improve so we can be better in every area. The transition has been very good. Whatever we were working on and were limited on with the C6, we’ve been able to produce a new car that will launch us forward.”

(Participating at the Roar) “It’s important to know where everyone stands. In the end, these are all different cars and they behave differently. We need to know where we are strong and where we are lacking against the competition. The Roar will be the first step for us to learn where we are and where we stand after a short offseason. The Daytona 24 Hours will be the real test to know where everyone stands.”

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

“This is an evolution and next step for Corvette Racing. Everything has been improved on the car. So far we’ve really felt a lot of the improvements – on the engine side, in the chassis and aerodynamics. It’s a good step forward. The old car was really suffering at the end. We won some races but it wasn’t for being the fastest car. To go into a 24-hour race as the first for the car will be a difficult situation for us. But I’m very confident that if anyone can do it, we can.”

(What’s new) “It’s all the small things that have been improved… and there are a lot of small things! We’ve all driven the car now and everyone has the same sort of feedback: that it’s a little bit easier to drive, it has less movement and you can feel the stiffer chassis. We are still early with the new direct injection engine but are making progress there also. We haven’t really hit on something where we think, ‘Eh, this isn’t going to work.’ Everything is going in the right direction. We will see what the competition has for us when we get to Daytona. But at the very least, we will go there with a better car than we had last year.”

RYAN BRISCOE, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

“I haven’t driven the car yet so I’m really looking forward to getting in there and getting a feel for what it will be like. The car is extremely advanced. From talking to the other drivers, it sounds like they have made gains from last year’s car to the new C7.R. I really want to get out there and get comfortable in the car. I’ve got two amazing teammates in Antonio and Jan. I want to do my part – be smooth, consistent and fast when I need to be. Hopefully I can be the guy they need me to be to win these long races.”

(Providing input) “I fully expect there to be a lot of discussion on things like setup direction and things that the team may not be used to with the old car. We will have to be prepared to adjust and make changes – maybe more than would have typically been done last year. Having said that, having input from someone like myself from the outside and not necessarily based on last year’s car could be helpful. It sounds like everyone has been pretty excited so far with the first on-track sessions. We hope it keeps going smoothly and we get plenty of track time with it.”

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

“As a team, 2013 was a very successful season. Corvette Racing and Chevrolet won every championship we possibly could. Now the focus has completely shifted to 2014 and the Corvette C7.R. It is something the team has had a focus on for most of the last year. The first time I sat in the car at Pratt & Miller was seven months ago, and it's been exciting to have to gone through the process - from a base chassis and the car being built up to finally seeing it testing on the race track. I've been involved with that pretty much every step of the way. It's been great to be a part of that and see the beginning of another fantastic season in the world of Corvette Racing."

(2014 outlook) "This certainly looks to be one of the most exciting years of racing I can remember. We all are looking forward to getting on track and seeing where we stack up to our competition. Developing the new Corvette C7.R has been a fantastic experience although we really are still in the early days. The results have been encouraging as the car is an upgrade in many key area and will be important given what we will face this year in the TUDOR Championship and at Le Mans.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

“The first impressions have been really good. I felt really comfortable right away with the car. Initially it was very well connected and well-balanced. It gave me a lot of confidence. Right away, that was a nice feeling. You can tell it’s a Corvette. It still feels similar in some ways (to the C6.R) but you can tell it’s the next generation of car. It does certain things better than the last generation.”

(Team continuity) “Having the same fundamental people that helped build the C6.R GT car and now have done the C7.R is evident. In my first test, I did an hour-and-a-half in the car with zero issues and that allowed me to get used to things. I didn’t have to think about new teammates, a new engineer… that has been typical for me in my racing career. I’d be with a team for two or three years and go elsewhere for other opportunities. I can definitely see the differences that (continuity) brings and that helps me get up to speed with the program quicker. I was ready to start making changes to the car to help the balance after 10 laps. That’s a testament to the team at Corvette Racing and Pratt & Miller for building a car that is much better in many areas.”

ROBIN LIDDELL, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

“We’re all looking very much forward to the first two endurance races. Daytona is a track that I know very well. I’ve raced there every year for the last 10 years plus have done loads of testing. We have all the sum parts. I don’t feel any kind of undue pressure to do well. We have all the tools we need to do it. The team has been very good in helping me to integrate myself in and acclimate myself to the car. All the pieces are there to do a fantastic job and achieve great results.”

(His initial test) “Testing the car for the first time was quite challenging. With the car being new and not being rubbed on very hard, it was a great test and shakedown. At the end of the day, there is a little bit of work on balance and handling. The good news is that the things I was feeling and were sort of finding a little tricky were some of the same things that Olly and Tommy were seeing. So we have a little bit of work to do but that’s to be expected because the car is completely new.”

"The 2014 season is one of the most highly anticipated moments in the storied history of Corvette Racing. Building and testing a new car in such a compressed time frame has been a monumental task. But challenge is what fuels the efforts from the groups at Chevrolet, Pratt & Miller and GM Powertrain. As Jan. 25 approaches, the Corvette C7.R stands ready to write yet another chapter in Chevrolet racing history. Debuting the C7.R in Daytona is fitting as it comes precisely 15 years after Corvette Racing’s debut at the Rolex 24. We are truly excited to return and start the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship in spectacular fashion."

Roar Before the 24 (all times ET)

Friday, Jan. 3

· TUDOR Championship, Practice 1: 10:15 a.m.-noon

· TUDOR Championship, Practice 2: 2:45-5:15 p.m.

Saturday, Jan. 4

· TUDOR Championship, Practice 3: 9-10:45 a.m.

· TUDOR Championship, Practice 4: 1-2:30 p.m.

· TUDOR Championship, Practice 5: 4-5 p.m.

· TUDOR Championship, Practice 6: 6:30-8 p.m.

Sunday, Jan. 5

· TUDOR Championship, Practice 7: 10:15 a.m.-noon

· TUDOR Championship, Practice 8: 2:30-3:30 p.m.

Corvette Racing History at Daytona

Year
Class
Drivers
Result
Car
Notes

GT2
Fellows/Kneifel/Paul Jr.
3rd
Corvette C5-R

Pilgrim/Collins/Sharp
12th
Corvette C5-R

GTS
Fellows/Kneifel/Bell
2nd
Corvette C5-R

Pilgrim/Collins/Freon
10th
Corvette C5-R

GTS
Fellows/O’Connell/Kneifel/Freon
1st
Corvette C5-R
Overall win

Collins/Pilgrim/Earnhardt/Earnhardt Jr.
2nd
Corvette C5-R

CORVETTE DPs AT DAYTONA: ’Roar’ Out of the Gates for 2014

Start of TUDOR Championship sees strong contingent of Corvette Daytona Prototypes prep for Rolex 24

DETROIT (Dec. 31, 2013) – Chevrolet is ready for a landmark season of sports car racing in North America with a strong complement of Corvette Daytona Prototypes that will compete in the inaugural year of the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship. Six Corvette DPs are set to compete this season at some of the continent’s top road courses starting with the 52nd Rolex 24 At Daytona on Jan. 25-26.

Prior to that however, Corvette DP teams will take part in the annual Roar Before the 24 three-day test at Daytona International Speedway from Jan. 3-5.

The sports car landscape has changed significantly since Wayne Taylor Racing’s Jordan Taylor and Max Angelelli won in September at Lime Rock Park to clinch the Rolex Series’ DP driver’s championship. The Rolex Series and American Le Mans Series officially merged with DPs in the new top-level prototype class. In order to balance the cars in the prototype category, the International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) has made a number of technical adjustments to Daytona Prototype cars including new aerodynamics and brake systems, and additional horsepower from 2013.

“This is one of the most highly anticipated and exciting starts to a season of sports car racing in many years,” said Mark Kent, Director of Chevrolet Racing. “We are looking forward to another year of close racing in the prototype class as our strong lineup of teams compete to defend Chevrolet's Manufacturers Championship.”

Six Daytona Prototype entries from five teams will take to Daytona International Speedway for this week’s three-day test: Wayne Taylor Racing, Action Express Racing (with two Corvette DPs), GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing and newcomer Marsh Racing – stepping up from running a GT Corvette to the Corvette DP.

Those efforts will lead Chevrolet’s fight for additional victories and championships in the top level of North American sports car racing. Chevrolet ended Rolex Series competition with 20 Daytona Prototype victories – 16 by Corvette DPs since it debuted in 2011 – and nine in GT. The Bowtie brand also captured DP engine manufacturer championships in both 2012 and 2013, plus the 2011 GT title.

“There are been a huge amount of work and cooperation between our teams, IMSA and our technical partners in advance of this season,” said Jim Lutz, Chevrolet TUDOR Championship Daytona Prototype Program Manager. “Headed into the Roar Before the 24, we feel like our DP teams are good positions to make their final preparations for the start of the season. As always, Daytona International Speedway presents a significant challenge given the track’s banking and high speeds. Given the new technical regulations and adjustments for 2014, reliability will take on added importance. That will be a key focal point for this year’s Roar.”
Old 12-31-2013, 08:53 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

any way to watch any practice sessions live???

also as noted above was there some pics that you can post??
Old 12-31-2013, 10:00 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dvandentop
any way to watch any practice sessions live???

also as noted above was there some pics that you can post??
I don't know. The race will be televised on Fox sports but no schedule has been announced as far as I can tell.

No photos yet!

Get notified of new replies

To ****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Old 12-31-2013, 10:32 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Post # 335:

Old 01-01-2014, 12:20 PM
nickTsandman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

If anyone is interested, here is the web site to purchase Corvette Corral Package for the Rolex 24 at Daytona.

http://www.daytonainternationalspeed.../Corvette.aspx

I also understand that if you have already purchased a regular four day pass, you may be able to mail it in for a refund. If that is your situation call the toll free number to purchase your Corvette Corral Package and inform them that you have a four day pass to exchange or contact:

Hunter Dalton
Group Sales Associate
Daytona International Speedway
1801 West International Speedway Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
O: 386-681-5582
E: hdalton@daytonainternationalspeedway.com
Old 01-02-2014, 04:17 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by nickTsandman
If anyone is interested, here is the web site to purchase Corvette Corral Package for the Rolex 24 at Daytona.

I also understand that if you have already purchased a regular four day pass, you may be able to mail it in for a refund. If that is your situation call the toll free number to purchase your Corvette Corral Package and inform them that you have a four day pass to exchange or contact:

Hunter Dalton
Group Sales Associate
Daytona International Speedway
1801 West International Speedway Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
O: 386-681-5582
E: hdalton@daytonainternationalspeedway.com

(your linky no worky ... )

Quick Reply: ****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!