Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 12:48 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

How's the point standing (for CR) after Lime Rock?
Old 07-25-2017, 01:05 PM
VerTigo456
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 'Shifter
How's the point standing (for CR) after Lime Rock?
We are in pretty good shape still for the Championship run with the exception of the Manufacturers win. That one is going to be down to the wire:

Drivers:1st place: Garcia/Magnussen 211 total points
2nd place: Sims/Auberlen 204 points

Teams: 1st Place: #3 Corvette Racing 211 total points
2nd Place: #25 BMW 204 points
3rd Place: #66 Ford 196 points

Manufacturers: 1st Place: #3 Corvette Racing 223 total points
2nd Place: Ford 219 points
3rd Place: BMW 216
4th Place: Porche 209
Old 07-25-2017, 02:04 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Member '09

Should make for an exciting second half of the season, though the Vettes are still a bit slow...
Old 07-26-2017, 11:41 AM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Received 548 Likes on 347 Posts

CORVETTE RACING AT LIME ROCK PARK: SPOILER ALERT

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1595224561
Old 07-27-2017, 05:28 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Bost increase for the Fords ahead of Road America. No changes to the Porsche.

We may some differing results on the long track compared to the last 2 shorties.
The following users liked this post:
'Shifter (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 06:48 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Member '09

No adjustments for CR?
Old 07-27-2017, 08:36 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by z28lt1
Bost increase for the Fords ahead of Road America.
Should make a big difference.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:26 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 'Shifter
No adjustments for CR?
Corvettes received a restrictor increase prior to Lime Rock. Everyone whose car name does not begin with a "p" should be close and can battle for 3rd...
Old 07-28-2017, 11:01 AM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Member '09

Corvettes received a restrictor increase prior to Lime Rock. Everyone whose car name does not begin with a "p" should be close and can battle for 3rd...
Like usual, WWE on the track....
Old 07-28-2017, 01:33 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Just announced that Mid-Ohio is on the schedule for next year and COTA is out.

Turns out a safe race track with miles of run-off and nothing but a little bit of paint indicating the actual track doesn't make for great racing (although I'm not sure if that really had anything to do with the decision.)
Old 07-28-2017, 03:13 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Member '09

I wouldn't mind hearing drivers' opinions about COTA.

Last edited by 'Shifter; 07-28-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:01 PM
VerTigo456
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Nooooooooooooooooooo! If they would support the race better then more people would come. This year was the first year of the new date. Half the people didn't show up and it was still hot with the date change that most missed or nearly did.

I understand the business end of this decision but don't feel like both parties ever really gave it the ability to grow with the lack of marketing efforts.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:58 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Member '09

I was contemplating travelling to one of the races, and though I like the track (Laguna Seca), I abhor California, so COTA would have been my choice.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:05 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Mid-Ohio has a great following and they'll fill that place. Smart move on IMSA's part.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:31 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Member '09

Make no mistake, I like Mid-Ohio, I was only lamenting COTA.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:12 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Just announced that Mid-Ohio is on the schedule for next year and COTA is out.
That's unfortunate.
The only modern, purpose-built road racing circuit in the country.

Turns out a safe race track with miles of run-off and nothing but a little bit of paint indicating the actual track doesn't make for great racing (although I'm not sure if that really had anything to do with the decision.)
Most likely a question of $$$.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:29 AM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Default CORVETTE RACING AT ROAD AMERICA: Return to The National Park of Speed

Press Release:

CORVETTE RACING AT ROAD AMERICA: Return to The National Park of Speed
Team hoping for repeat of magical GTLM finish in 2016

Gavin, Milner aim for rebound, repeat victory in No. 4 Corvette
Garcia, Magnussen bring GTLM points lead into eighth race of season
Chevrolet, No. 3 Corvette lead Manufacturer, Team points

DETROIT (Aug. 1, 2017) – Of all the tracks at which Corvette Racing has competed – 25 around the world – none may be as universally praised as Road America. It is where endurance racing’s premier production-based team heads this weekend in hopes of building its points lead in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship’s GT Le Mans (GTLM) title race. Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen lead the Driver’s Championship and Chevrolet heads the Manufacturer’s standings with four races left.

The 4.048-mile, 14-turn circuit in the picturesque Kettle Moraine along Wisconsin’s coast of Lake Michigan is a place where both Corvette Racing and Chevrolet have a deep history. Chevy leadership oftentimes used the track to test and reveal a number of high-performance production cars in the 1960s. The relationship between the track and brand is solidified by the landmark Corvette Bridge that competitors pass under each lap.

Corvette Racing has achieved a number of successes at Road America since its first race there in 2002… which ended in victory. There have been seven total at the track but perhaps none were as dramatic as last year’s run to victory for Tommy Milner and Oliver Gavin. The pairing in the No. 4 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C7.R went from fifth to first with 15 minutes remaining to earn their fourth victory of the season en route to the GTLM Driver’s, Manufacturer’s and Team Championship.

This year, it’s teammates Garcia and Magnussen who lead in points heading into the eighth race of the season. The pairing has won twice so far in the No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C7.R and holds a slim seven-point lead with a maximum of 36 points available in Sunday’s race.

They won races earlier this year at Sebring and Circuit of The Americas in addition to a third-place class finish at Watkins Glen. Garcia and Magnussen were second in class at Road America in 2013. Corvette Racing’s group of four drivers has won seven times at Road America, led by Gavin with four victories and four pole positions.

Corvette Racing on Display at Road America
Corvette Racing’s return to Road America also means a return of the Corvette Racing Display to the historic Wisconsin track. From Friday through Sunday, fans on-hand can view and learn about a variety of Chevrolet vehicles, accessories and attractions including:

• The 2018 Chevrolet Corvette Carbon 65 and Equinox Premier
• The Chevrolet Camaro, Cruze Hatchback, Colorado Z71 Crew Diesel, Silverado 2500 Crew High Country and Malibu
• A Corvette C7.R show car
• Samples of Chevrolet engines, performance parts and accessories available to fans for purchase from their local Chevrolet dealer
• A variety of Chevrolet and racing related activities for adults and kids
• Commemorative t-shirts for fans who sign up with Corvette Racing.

The Corvette Racing Display opens at 9 a.m. on Friday at Saturday, and 8 a.m. on Sunday.

The Continental Tire Road Race Showcase is set for 1:35 p.m. CT on Sunday, August 6. FOX Sports 1 will air the race live starting at 2:30 p.m. ET with live audio coverage from IMSA Radio and a Corvette Racing In-Car feed available on IMSA.com.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “I drove there for the first time in 2010 or 2011 for a Le Mans test. I found it super-hard to get up to speed. It’s a very long lap with many corners. Even after three laps, I felt I was going along pretty well and close to the limit but was still four or five seconds off the pace! That’s shows you how difficult the track is. But once you get it, it’s great fun. It’s one of the best tracks we go to all year. We are in a rhythm of great race tracks in the U.S., and certainly Road America is one of those. I’ve been close to winning there many times and very much want to win there.”

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “Road America another fantastic place we go. From a European standpoint, it reminds a lot of us of Spa. It has some super-challenging corners like the Carousel and the Kink but also a lot of technical corners that you have to get right. That’s why I enjoy racing in America – because we get to go to all of these old-school tracks like Road America. The modern tracks look nice but there is something missing because there is so much room. There are no consequences there. At the old-school tracks, there definitely are consequences if you put a foot wrong. I like that.”

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “My very first time racing at Road America in a Lola prototype in 2000. I instantly fell in love with the track. It was just a magical place that was fast, challenging and had lots of elevation change. There is so much at the track you can get into. You do seem to get rewarded where you drive the car hard there. At some circuits, it’s easy to overdrive the car and get in trouble. But at Road America, you can push a car to a limit and sit there on that limit quite well. I was in the car for a long time that year and we came close to winning. It’s such a great area, and I really enjoy going there every year.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “I still shake my head and laugh about (last year’s finish). It was such a feel-good moment, for sure. We weren’t quick all weekend and in the race we were really bad to start. We made a couple of changes and all of a sudden the car came alive. During that last caution, we were thinking, ‘Man, what a missed opportunity. The car is now really good and I wish we were a little closer.’ Then we got that opportunity but not having been around many of our competitors, we didn’t know how good of a car we had. All of the cards fell in my favor… like hitting the jackpot three times in three laps. It’s a cool story to tell and fun to think back to a moment where it all went right for us.”

DOUG FEHAN, CORVETTE RACING PROGRAM MANAGER “I am not aware of any driver or team who doesn’t look forward to Road America. This is THE quintessential circuit for road racing in North America… period! This also is a special place for Chevrolet, the Corvette brand and Corvette Racing. We’ve made so many great memories here over the years – from historic road car debuts to ultra-competitive racing. It’s tough to think of a better moment than last year’s result… the skill of our crew, engineers and drivers all came together for our seventh win at Road America. Another victory would be incredibly beneficial for our championship chances, and we’d no doubt thrill many of our fans and owners at the historic site of the first Corvette Corral!”

Get notified of new replies

To ****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Old 08-01-2017, 03:46 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by VerTigo456
Nooooooooooooooooooo! If they would support the race better then more people would come. This year was the first year of the new date. Half the people didn't show up and it was still hot with the date change that most missed or nearly did.

I understand the business end of this decision but don't feel like both parties ever really gave it the ability to grow with the lack of marketing efforts.
I'm guessing the elimination of the WEC race swas a major factor in the attendance drop compared to prior years

Last edited by raff; 08-01-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:33 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Default 2018 WeatherTech Championship Schedule Released

2018 WeatherTech Championship Schedule Released
By John Dagys

MSA has released the 2018 WeatherTech SportsCar Championship schedule, which again features 12 events, highlighted by the previously announced change from Circuit of The Americas to Mid-Ohio, elimination of the GT Daytona class at Long Beach and date changes.

The announcement came Friday from IMSA President Scott Atherton at the annual “State of the Sport” presentation at Road America.

The Rolex 24 at Daytona will again kick off the season on Jan 25-28, followed by the second round of the Tequila Patron North American Endurance Cup at Sebring in March,.

The 100-minute Long Beach race on April 13-14, will revert to Prototype and GT Le Mans-only, prior to IMSA’s return to Mid-Ohio in May with all three classes in action, with P and GT Daytona in action in Detroit.

Back-to-back races are again scheduled for Watkins Glen and Canadian Tire Motorsport Park over the Fourth of July holiday, followed by the GT-only round at Lime Rock and Road America in its now-traditional early August date.

Dates for the final three rounds of the season at Virginia International Raceway (GT only), Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca and the ten-hour Motul Petit Le Mans, meanwhile, have all been adjusted by a week, but with no changes to the current length or race formats.

“The 2018 WeatherTech Championship schedule again showcases the stability of our platform, while at the same time reaffirming our commitment to the best road racing venues and events in North America. And this time offering a few surprises for our fans,” Atherton said.

“Each race on our 2018 calendar has a rich history of sports car competition, which we expect to be at an all-time high next season across all three classes.

“The on-track product will include legendary manufacturers and competitors – some of which are returning to IMSA competition in 2018 after a short time away – and we’re confident it will capture the imagination of race fans everywhere.”

2018 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship Schedule:
Jan. 5-7 – Roar Before the Rolex 24
Jan. 25-28 – Daytona International Speedway*
Mar. 14-17 – Sebring International Raceway*
Apr. 13-14 – Long Beach Street Circuit (P and GTLM only)
May 4-6 – Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
June 1-2 – Detroit Belle Isle (P and GTD only)
June 28-July 1 – Watkins Glen International*
July 6-8 – Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
July 20-21 – Lime Rock Park (GTLM and GTD only)
Aug. 3-5 – Road America
Aug. 17-19 – Virginia International Raceway (GTLM and GTD only)
Sept. 7-9 – Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
Oct. 10-13 Road Atlanta*

*Tequila Patron North American Endurance Cup events

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/20...dule-released/
Old 08-05-2017, 04:57 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Default CORVETTE RACING AT ROAD AMERICA: Focusing Forward to Sunday

Press Release:

CORVETTE RACING AT ROAD AMERICA: Focusing Forward to Sunday
Fourth-row GTLM start for pair of Chevrolet Corvette C7.Rs.

ELKHART LAKE, Wisconsin (Aug. 5, 2017) – Corvette Racing will go for a repeat at Road America on Sunday from the fourth row of its class following qualifying for the Continental Tire Road Race Showcase. The pair of Chevrolet Corvette C7.Rs will furiously battle to work their way toward the front with the goal of maintaining Corvette Racing’s and Chevrolet’s lead in the GT Le Mans (GTLM) Manufacturer’s, Driver’s and Team points standings in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship.

Corvette Racing is a three-time winner this year in GTLM and has won seven times at the historic 4.048-mile, 14-turn Road America including last season.

Oliver Gavin qualified the No. 4 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C7.R seventh at 2:03.358 (118.134 mph), just ahead of Jan Magnussen and the No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C7.R at 2:03.581 (117.920 mph).

Saturday’s results weren’t unlike last year’s qualifying efforts – sixth and seventh – but Gavin and Tommy Milner parlayed a seventh-place starting position to a dramatic victory on their way to the GTLM Championship.

There may be more drama in store for Sunday. The weather forecast calls for an increased chance of rain – similar to Friday’s conditions that saw the two Corvettes much closer to the GTLM front-runners.

The Continental Tire Road Race Showcase is set for 1:35 p.m. CT on Sunday, August 6. FOX Sports 1 will air the race live starting at 2:30 p.m. ET with live audio coverage from IMSA Radio and a Corvette Racing In-Car feed available on IMSA.com.

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R – QUALIFIED SEVENTH IN GTLM: “After today’s result in qualifying, maybe changeable conditions would suit us. We’ve been surprised by qualifying. I genuinely thought we were closer than that. The Corvette isn’t terrible… certainly not. We made some progress over the weekend. But everyone made such massive gains today. If that’s our competition’s pace in the race, we will certainly be looking for some changeable weather to spice things up. In mixed conditions, I think we have a good, solid car. It has been a theme this year where there has been some wild qualifying pace from some people, then come the race comes everyone comes back to the same point. So that is what we are focusing on - what we can achieve for the race tomorrow. P7 isn’t the end of the world. We started there last year for this race, and we won it. We have to stick to our strengths and execute. I know our team can do that; I’ve seen them do it all year. Even with our luck this year, we have kept soldiering on and staying focused on what our strong points are: executing in the pit lane, strategy, good driver changes and smart driving. That’s what Tommy and I will be completely focused on tomorrow.”

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R – QUALIFIED EIGHTH IN GTLM: “This was not part of the plan. It wasn’t very enjoyable. The handling of the Corvette was pretty nice; it was just slow. We have some serious work cut out for us from now through the race. We will see what that can get us. I am a little bit surprised that we are that far off the pace; that’s the first time this year. I’m obviously not satisfied with this result. It was a close qualifying between the two Corvettes, but that was about it from our side.”

The following 3 users liked this post by cor123:
'Shifter (08-05-2017), raff (08-05-2017), sdurg24 (08-05-2017)

Quick Reply: ****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!