Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 02:14 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

^^^ I remember the Baltimore Crash.
What a mess...it ruined the entire race.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:13 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,970 Likes on 1,030 Posts

2018TV Coverage Announced. From a quick glance reasonably similar to last year in terms of what is on FS2 for those that don't get it. CTMP on tape-delay.

2018 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship Television / Streaming Schedule

Date Event/Venue Channel Times (All Times ET)

Jan. 27-28 Rolex 24 At Daytona FOX 2 – 5 p.m. Sat.

Daytona International Speedway FS2 5 – 10 p.m.

Daytona Beach, Florida FSGO 10 – 11 p.m.

FS1 11 p.m. – 1 a.m. Sun.

FSGO 1 a.m. – 8 a.m.

FS1 8 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.

FSGO 10:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.

FS1 1 p.m. – 3 p.m.

March 17 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring FS1 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.

Sebring International Raceway FS2 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.

Sebring, Florida FSGO 1:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.

FS2 3:30 p.m. – 11 p.m.

April 14 BUBBA burger Sports Car Grand Prix at Long Beach FOX 4 – 6 p.m.

Long Beach, California

May 6 Mid-Ohio FS2 1 – 4 p.m.

Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course

Lexington, Ohio

June 2 Chevrolet Sports Car Classic FS2 12:30 – 2:30 p.m.

Detroit, Michigan

July 1 Sahlen's Six Hours of The Glen FS1 9:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Watkins Glen International

Watkins Glen, New York

July 8 Canadian Tire Motorsport Park FS1 4 – 7 p.m.^

Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada

July 21 Northeast Grand Prix FS2 3 – 6 p.m.

Lime Rock Park

Lakeville, Connecticut

Aug. 5 Continental Tire Road Race Showcase FS1 2:30 – 5:30 p.m.

Road America

Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin

Aug. 19 Michelin GT Challenge at VIR FS1 1 – 2 p.m.

VIRginia International Speedway FS2 2 – 4 p.m.

Danville, Virginia

Sept. 9 Continental Tire Monterey Grand Prix FS1 5 – 8 p.m.

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca

Monterey, California

Oct. 13 Motul Petit Le Mans FS1 10:30 – 12 p.m.

Road Atlanta FS2 12 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.

Braselton, Georgia
Old 12-20-2017, 10:20 AM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Received 548 Likes on 347 Posts

Default Corvette Racing Sets Familiar Lineup for 20th Season of Competition

Press Release: Corvette Racing Sets Familiar Lineup for 20th Season of Competition
Full-season driving roster remains unchanged heading into 2018

Landmark season for endurance racing’s premier program
Garcia, Magnussen back to defend GT Le Mans Driver Championship
Gavin, Milner eager to recapture championship-winning form from 2016
Quartet has led way together to four Chevrolet Manufacturer titles since 2012

DETROIT (Dec. 20, 2017) – In 2018, Corvette Racing and Chevrolet will embark on their 20th season of competition at the highest level of endurance sports car racing. In hopes of capturing a third consecutive class championship, Corvette Racing turns again to four sets of trusted hands to pilot its pair of Chevrolet Corvette C7.Rs in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship’s GT Le Mans (GTLM) category.

Antonio Garcia, Jan Magnussen, Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner comprise Corvette Racing’s full-season lineup. The 2018 season marks the seventh straight year the quartet has made up the regular driving roster. The full-season four have combined for 111 victories and 12 Driver Championships in their Corvette Racing careers.

They also have played significant roles in Chevrolet’s 12 Manufacturer Championships and 12 Team Championships for Corvette Racing, which has recorded 106 victories around the world.

“Consistency amongst the team and its drivers has been key to the success of our program for the last 20 years,” said Mark Kent, Chevrolet Director of Motorsports Competition. “Having Antonio, Jan, Oliver and Tommy returning for the 2018 season will definitely increase the likelihood of continued success for Corvette Racing.”

Both of the Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C7.Rs will officially begin the 2018 IMSA season at the annual Roar Before the 24 at Daytona International Speedway on January 5-7. It is the prelude for the season-opening Rolex 24 At Daytona – an event Corvette Racing has won three times.

Corvette Racing is coming off a 2017 season in which it won four times. Garcia and Magnussen recorded three victories and shared the GTLM Driver Championship. Gavin and Milner, 2016 co-champions, also claimed a victory in 2017.

The records of each Corvette Racing driver rank among the best in endurance sports car racing:

Antonio Garcia: 15 victories; two IMSA Driver Championships; winner at Le Mans (2009, 2011), Daytona (2015), Sebring (2009, 2015, 2017)
Oliver Gavin: 49 victories; five IMSA Driver Championships; winner at Le Mans (five times), Daytona (2016), Sebring (five times)
Jan Magnussen: 34 victories; three IMSA Driver Championships; winner at Le Mans (four times), Daytona (2015), Sebring (five times)
Tommy Milner: 13 victories; two IMSA Driver Championships; winner at Le Mans (2011, 2015), Daytona (2016), Sebring (two times)

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “I am very happy to return with Corvette Racing for 2018. It is always a big challenge fighting with our competition in GTLM, and no doubt it will be more difficult again next season. We just need to keep doing what we did in 2017 – four race wins for our program and another GTLM Championship with great support from Team Chevy. We learned a lot this past year on how to maximize our results, win races and win championships. For sure, the same teams and cars we battled last year also will have learned and come back strong. As a team, we have to continue to be smarter to stay out front. That has been the best thing about Corvette Racing over the years, and I hope we can do it again in 2018.”

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “It’s always a privilege being with Corvette Racing. One of the strongest and most valuable aspects of our program is the continuity we have. It plays a massive role in the team’s success – on the engineering side, on the crew side and on the driver side. This makes things so much easier when we all know our strengths and weaknesses. We can work to that. There are no unknown quantities. To continue to be a part of this team is a great honor. This is a fantastic group, and I’m very proud to be part of it. ”

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “I’m delighted to be back with Corvette Racing and Chevrolet again for 2018. To partner with Tommy again is fantastic, and being back on the No. 4 Corvette with our team is great. We know exactly what we need to do and how to execute in order to win races. Once for us in 2017 wasn’t enough, however. We felt we were in the hunt a number of times but crazy, crazy things ended up happening. It was a great year for Antonio, Jan and the No. 3 Corvette in winning the GTLM championships. Let’s hope that for 2018 and the 20th year of Corvette Racing that both cars can have strong runs and stand on the top step at numerous races throughout the season.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “This will be my eighth year with Corvette Racing, and I can see how being part of a program for this long with this much consistency has made me a better driver over the years. It makes the start of a season easier. There is no learning process or getting a feel for the car or team. You jump right in and you’re off running from the first practice session. We build off those sessions and each race. That consistency is fantastic. Looking at the history and success of this partnership between Corvette Racing and Chevy for now 20 years, the consistency has been a large part of our success. So I’m happy to be back with this incredible group.”
Old 12-20-2017, 10:57 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by z28lt1
2018TV Coverage Announced. From a quick glance reasonably similar to last year in terms of what is on FS2 for those that don't get it. CTMP on tape-delay.

Great to see the new schedule.
Of course, too few races for my tastes.

Sad to see that idiotic clusterfnck known as the Long Beach GP still on the schedule.

Laguna Seca may be a little hot in early Sept.

Originally Posted by cor123
Press Release: Corvette Racing Sets Familiar Lineup for 20th Season of Competition
Full-season driving roster remains unchanged heading into 2018

Antonio Garcia, Jan Magnussen, Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner comprise Corvette Racing’s full-season lineup.
Too bad Milner is still on the team.
He's the least of the 4.

Last edited by sunsalem; 12-20-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:35 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by sunsalem

Sad to see that idiotic clusterfnck known as the Long Beach GP still on the schedule.
And Detroit. I hate street courses. There has to be enough good road courses available so you don't have to run in those concrete barrier monstrosities.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:19 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Why a suitable road course can't be found (or built) in Southern California is beyond me.
There is a gillion people there and untold amounts of $$$...I don't get it.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:24 PM
Niemienator
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

[QUOTE=sunsalem;1596217008]Great to see the new schedule.

Laguna Seca may be a little hot in early Sept.
100% on drop LB.They need to replace Long Beach with COTA as venue and exact calendar timing, so the Vettes can get grip and the crowds don't melt from heat exposure. Put COTA back on the schedule - It's a world class venue and track, C'MON IMSA!!!!!!

Last edited by Niemienator; 12-20-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:22 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Niemienator
100% on drop LB.They need to replace Long Beach with COTA as venue and exact calendar timing, so the Vettes can get grip and the crowds don't melt from heat exposure.
"Melting" is right.
I was there in the middle of NOVEMBER for the 2013 U.S. Grand Prix.
The race was great, but the weather was very, very uncomfortable.
Put COTA back on the schedule - It's a world class venue and track, C'MON IMSA!!!!!!

Agreed.
Austin in mid April should be decent (weather-wise).

COTA is the greatest track facility in this country and one of the greatest in the world.
I don't know what the hang up has been....
IMSA and COTA need to get together to work this out.
It's very disappointing.

Although, to be fair, the IMSA races held there seemed to be lightly attended (so it seemed in the broadcasts).
It surprised me a bit.
I thought Sportscars and Racing were big things in Texas?

Last edited by sunsalem; 12-21-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:20 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Default Familiar Names to Make Up Corvette Racing North American Endurance Driving Roster

Press Release: Familiar Names to Make Up Corvette Racing North American Endurance Driving Roster
Fässler, Rockenfeller to support team’s long-distance program in 2018

Team has three Rolex 24 and 11 Sebring victories
Duo a part of three victories for Corvette Racing since start of 2016
Corvette Racing set to embark on 20th season of competition

DETROIT (Dec. 21, 2017) – Corvette Racing is bringing back two well-known, championship-winning drivers for North America’s biggest events in endurance sports car. Mike Rockenfeller and Marcel Fässler will rejoin the team’s four full-time pilots for long-distance events in the 2018 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship as part of Corvette Racing’s 20th season.

The landmark campaign, featuring the familiar yellow Chevrolet Corvette C7.Rs, will see Rockenfeller and Fässler competing with Corvette Racing in the Rolex 24 At Daytona, Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring and Road Atlanta’s Petit Le Mans as part of an incredibly strong GT Le Mans (GTLM) category.

“Mike and Marcel have been valued members of Corvette Racing for the past two seasons, and have played key roles in our success,” said Mark Kent, Chevrolet Director of Motorsports Competition. “We look forward to having them on the program again next season as we attempt to repeat as Driver and Manufacturer champions.”

Rockenfeller drove for Corvette Racing in North America the last two years, highlighted by a victory with reigning GTLM Driver champions Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen last season at Sebring. He will rejoin the duo in the No. 3 Corvette C7.R where Rockenfeller helped his teammates, Chevrolet and Corvette Racing to a sweep of the GTLM championships.

In addition to his Sebring victory last year, Rockenfeller won the 2010 Rolex 24 in a prototype. Rockenfeller also claimed the 2013 DTM Championship and placed fourth in 2017 points.

Fässler’s 2017 campaign with Corvette Racing will mirror last year’s as he joins Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner in the No. 4 Corvette C7.R. The trio won at both Daytona and Sebring in 2016 on the way to a sweep of that year’s GTLM titles for Chevrolet and Corvette Racing.

The highly versatile Fässler also drove for Corvette Racing in the 2009 season, and he comes off a 2017 season that saw him win two races in the Blancpain GT Series. He also won overall at Sebring in 2013.

Both Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C7.Rs will officially begin the 2018 IMSA season at the annual Roar Before the 24 at Daytona International Speedway on January 5-7. It is the prelude for the season-opening Rolex 24 At Daytona – an event Corvette Racing has won three times.

MIKE ROCKENFELLER, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “I’m happy to be back again with Corvette Racing, especially for the team’s 20th season. It says a lot about the success and dedication of everyone with this program to compete for this amount of time. I have enjoyed my time with Corvette Racing the last two years. I am grateful for the opportunity to compete in the most important events on the North American endurance racing calendar. Daytona can’t come soon enough.”

MARCEL FÄSSLER, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “It’s great that I will be back to support my teammates at Corvette Racing. The competition in GTLM is the best in the world… very hard and very close racing. The motivation is always there to do well, especially on these big stages – Daytona, Sebring and Road Atlanta. To do it as part of Corvette Racing’s 20th season is even better. I hope we can all make it one that we all will remember.”
Old 01-07-2018, 06:46 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Default CORVETTE RACING AT DAYTONA: Gearing Up For Championship Defense in 2018

Press Release:
CORVETTE RACING AT DAYTONA: Gearing Up For Championship Defense in 2018
Three days of testing ahead of Rolex 24 and open of WeatherTech Championship

Corvette Racing a three-time Rolex 24 winner
Fifth year of competition for Chevrolet Corvette C7.R
Both Corvettes and all six drivers to attend Daytona test
Corvette Racing celebrating 20th season of competition

DETROIT (Jan. 2, 2018) – A new calendar year also brings a new season for Corvette Racing in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship. It all begins this weekend at the annual Roar Before the 24, which serves as a prelude to the Rolex 24 At Daytona and opening round of the IMSA season.

For Corvette Racing, the three-day test is a chance to gear up for its chance at a fourth class victory at the twice-around-the-clock endurance race at Daytona International Speedway. Both Chevrolet Corvette C7.Rs will be on-track along with its full complement of three drivers in each car.

Defending GT Le Mans (GTLM) Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen team up again with Mike Rockenfeller in the No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C7.R. In the No. 4 Corvette, full-season teammates Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner will drive with Marcel Fässler in hopes of replicating their 2016 class victory.

Corvette Racing celebrates its 20th season of competition in 2018 – longevity not matched by any other team in the IMSA paddock. The Chevrolet/Corvette Racing partnership is the most successful in professional North American endurance racing with 98 victories in the United States and Canada. Add eight Le Mans victories, and Corvette Racing’s global tally is 106 during the last 19 seasons.

The roll of honor for Corvette Racing also includes 12 Manufacturer and Team championships, as well as 11 Driver titles. In 2017, Garcia and Magnussen won three times and won their second IMSA title together. Gavin and Milner also posted a victory of their own last year.

Since the start of the 2014 season – the first under the ALMS/GRAND-AM merger – no manufacturer or team has won more often in the WeatherTech Championship than Chevrolet and Corvette Racing. Team Chevy has 35 victories with 15 coming in GTLM with Corvette Racing.

The Rolex 24 served as the first event for the Corvette Racing program in 1999, and one of the team’s Corvette C5-Rs finished fourth. Two years later, Corvette Racing won the race overall. Fast forward to the current era, and the program added class victories in both 2015 and 2016. The latter was the thrilling 1-2 finish that saw the No. 4 Corvette beat its sister entry by just 0.034 seconds.

That is just one of more than 40 victories for Chevrolet across all motorsports events at Daytona, making it the most successful manufacturer at the World Center of Racing.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “It has been a busy period since the end of last season. Corvette Racing has put a lot of effort into testing for our 20th season in 2018 – both on the track and in our simulator. We can make use of every piece of data we can find. Hopefully that helps us at Daytona. We were disappointed not to win last year’s Rolex 24 after we led twice after pit stops in the final hour. After missing just a little pace then, I hope we can find what we need after these three days of testing.”

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “With everything we accomplished last year, one of the disappoints we had was not winning Daytona. So we will go into the Roar with that goal in mind. We are there for three days but there is a huge amount of items we need to run through for the Rolex 24. Winning there would be the best way to start Corvette Racing’s 20th year.
MIKE ROCKENFELLER, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “It will be great to get back in the Corvette C7.R at Daytona. As a team, we have a lot to work toward to give both our cars the best possible to chance to win this race. That means we need to get everything we can out of testing this week. I am continually impressed by the level of racing in GTLM with the number of great manufacturers, drivers and teams. So it is imperative we start strong with a good showing at the Roar.”

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “I’m very eager to get this year started off right. Tommy, myself and everyone on the No. 4 Corvette side want to put last season out of our minds and focus on having a good, positive weekend at the Roar. This stands to be a big year for Corvette Racing… our 20th season and going for three straight GTLM championships. Checking off all the items on our testing list would be a great start.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “This is a huge year for everyone at Corvette Racing. It’s our 20th season and from the competition standpoint, this will be the biggest challenge we’ve faced. There’s additional motivation for our side of the garage after last season’s tough going. The best thing about our team though is the talent and experience we have working together for so many years. We need to use that advantage this weekend to get us in the best possible shape heading into the Rolex 24.”

MARCEL FÄSSLER, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “I’m ready to get back to the track with Corvette Racing. Daytona is a big event and one that we have been lucky to win before. For me personally, my comfort level in the Corvette is higher than it has ever been. I was fortunate enough to participate in a couple of test days after the 2017 season that proved to be very beneficial. Our confidence is very high going into Daytona so hopefully that will mean a successful start to the season for Corvette Racing.”

DOUG FEHAN, CORVETTE RACING PROGRAM MANAGER: “Well, 2018 is dawning with some new and exciting things for Corvette Racing and the entire WeatherTech Championship fan base. For the first time, the Roar will actually have some impact on the Rolex 24 as we will be ‘qualifying’ for our pit lane and garage assignments. This can have a direct impact on the race itself when you consider the GTLM margin of victory in 2016 was a scant 0.034 seconds between our two Corvettes. In addition, the Roar will mark the first time for a variety of new machinery, including new cars in GTLM. The 2018 season looks like pretty darn exciting from where we sit.”
Old 01-07-2018, 07:13 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Default CORVETTE RACING AT DAYTONA- Mission Accomplished for the Roar

Press Release:

CORVETTE RACING AT DAYTONA: Mission Accomplished for the Roar
Defending IMSA GTLM championship team leaves satisfied with testing program

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Jan. 7, 2018) – Corvette Racing left Daytona International Speedway content with the results of its testing program following the annual Roar Before the 24 and ahead of the opening race of the 2018 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship season.

The two Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C7.Rs logged more than 1,400 miles between them during the three days and eight sessions of track time. The packed schedule included a 15-minute qualifying session to determine assignments for the pit boxes and garages when teams return later this month for the Rolex 24 At Daytona.

Oliver Gavin was the second-fastest GT Le Mans (GTLM) qualifier Sunday in the No. 4 Chevrolet Corvette C7.R with a lap of 1:43.640 (123.653 mph). Teammate Antonio Garcia wasn’t far behind in fifth at 1:43.998 (123.227 mph) in the No. 3 Corvette C7.R.

As it has for the last 20 years, Corvette Racing displayed its usual clever strategy and ingenuity to achieve its qualifying results. Even on a test weekend, the team consciously practiced drafting with its two Corvettes during multiple sessions in order to approach the performance levels of its quicker GTLM competitors.

All six Corvette Racing drivers were on-hand Friday through Sunday. Defending GTLM champions Garcia and Jan Magnussen are teaming with Mike Rockenfeller while Gavin and full-season teammate Tommy Milner are partnering with Marcel Fässler.

Corvette Racing and Chevrolet are coming off a second straight sweep of the GTLM Manufacturer, Driver and Team championships in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship – titles won by combining driver skill with smart engineering strategy and team execution. That is a large reason for Corvette Racing’s success ahead of its 20th season – a mark unmatched by any other team in the IMSA paddock.

The Rolex 24 served as the first event for the Corvette Racing program in 1999, and one of the team’s Corvette C5-Rs finished third in class. Two years later, Corvette Racing won the race overall – the first of what is now 106 victories around the world. Fast forward to the current era, and the program added class victories in both 2015 and 2016. The latter was the thrilling 1-2 finish that saw the No. 4 Corvette beat its sister entry by just 0.034 seconds.

That is just one of more than 40 victories for Chevrolet across all motorsports events at Daytona, making it the most successful manufacturer at the World Center of Racing.

Corvette Racing will return to Daytona for the 56th Rolex 24 At Daytona on Jan. 25-28.

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R – QUALIFIED SECOND IN GTLM: “One of the key things for the Corvette Racing program is that we are learning and trying new things all the time. No one here ever rests on their laurels. Yes, we’ve had two very successful seasons, but everybody is still looking for ways to improve whether that is through the car with the technical partners we have with Mobil 1 and Michelin. Or whether it is the way the engineers interact with the drivers, and the drivers are working with each other out on track. That was a key part of the success of that qualifying session. Antonio and I had discussed with one another how we were going to do that session, and our engineering team talked it through with us. We had a strategy and plan, and it worked and paid off. Antonio was in front of me for five laps and basically pulled me around. It got me in second position. It proved that a strategy like that would work. Would we have been this close to the front without that? Absolutely not. I don’t know how far off we would have been, but we certainly wouldn’t have been second. It is nice to see a plan come together and work that way. I think there were a few people, myself included, wondering if it was going to work or not. But you have to put your faith and trust in the people around you and it paid off. Antonio once again drove brilliantly and set it up perfectly. He and I have got some history here now, and we know how to drive around one another here at this track! We have a good understanding and are good friends. It’s great to see a team work together like they did today and profit from it.”

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R – QUALIFIED FIFTH IN GTLM: “Yes, we always come up with something different for sure. It was somewhat of a risk. We practiced that during the last two practices and on old tires. Traffic didn’t make it easy to do it, but then having our two Corvettes so equal made it less difficult. My only goal was to stay as fast as possible all the way to Turn Six, and then give Olly a nice tow all the way to the Bus Stop. We tried one lap where I just stayed in front of him to start/finish, and then the next one was like the finish of the 2016 race where he won by a foot. We timed it so he would go across the line in front of me. So I think it was worth quite a few tenths. We didn’t make it to be the fastest, but, that’s basically what we had to do to finish where we are. That’s really a very small portion of what the 24 Hours will be like, but it is good to have that experience. It was important to follow our test program, and I think everyone has gone according to plan.”

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “We had a good test and got through a lot of stuff. It was super cold most of the test, so it will be interesting to see if that helps us. Today was a little better and more representative of what we will have for the race. This is a brand new car, so we were able to shake it down and didn’t have any issues. I’m looking forward to coming back for the race week and see what we have.”
MIKE ROCKENFELLER, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “As a driver, you always want more and more time in the car, but track time is at a premium at the Roar every year. I feel like we have maximized our efforts and run as many miles and as quickly as we can. We all know that later this month, the track conditions likely will be different. It has been quite cold this week but we have learned things that can help us for the race. I feel we are heading in the right direction. It’s always a pleasure to be in Daytona with Corvette Racing and drive a Corvette around this track.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “The fact that we didn’t have any major issues is definitely a plus. It hasn’t always been like that for us! From that perspective, things couldn’t have gone better. Any opportunity you have to get laps at Daytona this close to the race is super important. We always come into this weekend with lots of things to try and ideas our engineers think might work to keep building on our book of information on these Corvettes. We have a good base to work from, but of the many items our engineers drew up, we saw some little gains from each of them. That’s encouraging for us.”

MARCEL FÄSSLER, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “Everything has run quite well. There were a number of items on our test plan, and we ran through it fairly smoothly. This is why we are here – to test different kinds of things to make progress and development with the car. I also am happy with the time I could spend in the Corvette, even dividing it between three drivers. It was fairly easy to adapt to the car again after some time away… shortly after Petit Le Mans. This was a great opportunity to be back in it and with the team. I think we all feel good after this test.”
The following users liked this post:
Subfixer (01-08-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 09:05 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Go Team Yellow...bring home the gold again!
Old 01-08-2018, 10:46 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

A few shots from Thurs tech inspection -- including Mr Binks
Attached Images      
Old 01-08-2018, 11:00 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

A few more - including chilled corner workers
Attached Images      
cor123 (01-09-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 11:41 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

GREAT Pics, thanx!

Does anyone know what the purpose of the "fan" is in the rear license holder spot?

Last edited by sunsalem; 01-08-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:01 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

GREAT Pics, thanx!

Does anyone know what the purpose of the "fan" is in the rear license holder spot?
Maybe their engineers remember the Chaparral 2J
Old 01-09-2018, 06:44 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

GREAT Pics, thanx!

The fan is for the gear box and ac coolers.
sunsalem (01-09-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To ****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Old 01-10-2018, 10:00 AM
davidwp97
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

GREAT Pics, thanx!

A while back the rules included a requirement that have air conditioning. I assume that is still the rule and that this is the condenser fan.

Last edited by davidwp97; 01-10-2018 at 10:05 AM.
sunsalem (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 11:16 AM
davidwp97
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Twenty years of official Corvette Racing!! In honor of the anniversary - some of the earliest pix:

sunsalem (01-10-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 09:00 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,970 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Minor rule change just announced, but will make the GTLM drivers happy.

Starting at the Rolex 24, GTLM headlights will be clear/white instead of yellow. GTD headlights will stay yellow.

I've read plenty of complaints about the yellow headlights not be as effective as the white. Unfortunately, this likely won't apply at Le Mans.

Quick Reply: ****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!