Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 03:51 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider

The V8 power has been incredible and it's supercharged.
The C7R is a 5.5L NA.

Watching how incredibly competitive C7R has been against the Ferraris and Porsches, I'd really love to see GM step up and start running the euro/world circuits. .
Corvette Racing exists to SELL Corvettes.
Not many Vettes are sold outside this country.
I doubt the expense would make it worthwhile as far as GM is concerned.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:29 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

That's just f'n great. Total chance encounter...Safety car came out while 63 was in pit and they had to sit...and sit...basically equate it to a 3min penalty. I"m goin to bed but...that jacked them straight up. ughhhhh.....
Old 06-16-2019, 05:50 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

63 hits the tire barrier!!
Old 06-16-2019, 05:53 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cor123

Appeal..this is bullshit
Old 06-16-2019, 05:58 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

And just like that..it's not the finish C7R fans had hoped for.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:00 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Screwed by this damn Safety car rule once again. 3 times today, one of them put us 2:30 down and this one a full lap. Bullshit rule.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:09 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Well, that's that boys....was a hell of a race but...can't win'em all. Lookin for a good IMSA season finish for the C7.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:12 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sunsalem

In business, you either constantly grow your market share or you die.

Damn near every article and post on the C8 has to do with aspects that have very little to do with street driving and are characteristics designed for RACING. BMW and FORD GT will no longer race GTLM in America and Ferrari races only at Daytona, leaving only Porsche as a competitor here in America.

This type of racing is global in scope and GM needs to think global for marketing. The demographics of buyers needs to get a hell of a lot younger or this will be the last generation of Corvettes made.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:33 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

BMW quit WEC, not IMSA. Fehan said he has talked with some people at Ganassi and they have confidence they will find a means to continue. I think there is a shot to pretty much keep GTLM intact.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:49 AM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
The C7R is a 5.5L NA.

While I’m sure this is true, it’s a shame, really. Corvette is well known all over the world and GM should leverage the brand and sell them in decent numbers all over the world, up to and including manufacturing Corvettes (or doing some final assembly) in other countries to avoid import duties and tariffs there. Corvette is one of the few brands GM has that is truly internationally known and iconic thanks in great part to competing at LeMans.

Last edited by quick04Z06; 06-16-2019 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:01 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
BMW quit WEC, not IMSA. Fehan said he has talked with some people at Ganassi and they have confidence they will find a means to continue. I think there is a shot to pretty much keep GTLM intact.

BMW has a commitment to race IMSA this season, not next.

LeMans is the end of this season in WEC.

With their move in classes in WEC, I don't expect them to race GTLM in IMSA. One of the announcers at LeMans stated that there is no new product development or R&D this year for the GT cars.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:02 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Last hour and the fastest car all race, the 7 Toyota Hybrid has problems and loses the lead!!!
Old 06-16-2019, 09:13 AM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

Last hour and the fastest car all race, the 7 Toyota Hybrid has problems and loses the lead!!!
Suuuuuuure it did.....
Old 06-16-2019, 09:38 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default What if...........

What if Corvette Racing supplied two or three other teams with Pratt Miller Corvettes ——the history of Corvette and wins At LeMans and other world class Racing series would have been written quite differently.

And yes I have personal knowledge of what it’s like to be blocked from going to LeMans by Corvette Racing, what if there were a couple of other teams with Corvettes they could’ve picked up the flag and run with it ?

Chevrolets racing philosophy is wrong. The Corvette has been eliminated from racing professionally anywhere in the world outside of the 2 Corvettes run by the Pratt and Miller team.

There were 59 other cars and teams that seem to race and do fine without Doug Fehan.

Ford allowed Bill. Riley to run the Ford GT in the AM class. And they won the class.

Note I need to change my name in the forum because I am no longer with LG Motorsports. I sold the company and I am concentrating on building my race track north of dallas, -- LG Motorsports Park

I’m speaking as a private individual with personal experience

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 06-16-2019 at 09:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Smokeyjr (06-17-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 09:55 AM
Coc5
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Appeal..this is bullshit
I'm trying to understand that myself. What exactly was the infraction? Passing a slower car?
Old 06-16-2019, 11:28 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

And he not only had his nose up to the Porsche's door he was past the Porsche and it turned into the area at the back of the Corvette's door or the front of the rear quarter panel. In any organization I have ever competed with that corner belonged to the Corvette and the fault would be given to the Porsche. Interestingly the Porsche driver told his team that he was through for the day and wasn't comfortable running with the faster cars. Clearly he turned into a car that owned the inside line.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:43 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
Hope so.

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
While I’m sure this is true, it’s a shame, really. Corvette is well known all over the world and GM should leverage the brand and sell them in decent numbers all over the world, up to and including manufacturing Corvettes (or doing some final assembly) in other countries to avoid import duties and tariffs there. Corvette is one of the few brands GM has that is truly internationally known and iconic thanks in great part to competing at LeMans.
Agreed.
Problem is GM is not flush with money right now.

It's a shame #63 had that Off...it was the class of the field.
With the C8R coming next season, it would be a good time to "retire" 3 of the drivers and get some new blood in there.

Get notified of new replies

To ****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Old 06-16-2019, 02:47 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Old 06-16-2019, 03:47 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

BMW has a commitment to race IMSA this season, not next.

LeMans is the end of this season in WEC.

With their move in classes in WEC, I don't expect them to race GTLM in IMSA. One of the announcers at LeMans stated that there is no new product development or R&D this year for the GT cars.
BMW is looking like they'll continue to back RLL in IMSA. They have run GT LM without a LM effort in the past with V8 Z4s. Granted we all know Corporate can change direction with fiscal changes.

https://racer.com/2019/05/22/bmw-to-withdraw-from-wec/

BMW’s IMSA GTLM effort will be unaffected; RLL’s long-standing program in North America set to continue despite the marque’s shift in its GTE strategy.

“The global presence of BMW M Motorsport is safeguarded by customer racing and the DTM in Asia and Europe, as well as the IMSA series in North America, even without competing in a world championship,” Marquardt continued.

“The IMSA series plays a central role for us in North America and is developing well. The USA is the most important market for BMW M cars, so it is very fitting to build a direct bridge to our production models there with the BMW M8 GTE.”

Originally Posted by pkincy
And he not only had his nose up to the Porsche's door he was past the Porsche and it turned into the area at the back of the Corvette's door or the front of the rear quarter panel. In any organization I have ever competed with that corner belonged to the Corvette and the fault would be given to the Porsche. Interestingly the Porsche driver told his team that he was through for the day and wasn't comfortable running with the faster cars. Clearly he turned into a car that owned the inside line.
Agreed, I am wagering the argument by the sanctioning body will be that the Corvette attempted an aggressive pass in a single line area of the race track. I believe their argument is bogus and the driver of the Porsche should have his competition license level reviewed in light of this incident and his other solo spins.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:52 PM
mister2
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
This. Both cars had their own lines, that intersected at some point going into the corner. Nobody had to turn into anyone to initiate contact. The in-car video I've seen (over and over) show that the Corvette, which clearly had half his car past the Porsche, had precedence and was simply following his line. The only time his car turns towards the Porsche is AFTER the Porsche had torn off the Corvette's right rear tire and spun him around to the right.

Maybe they have more videos that I have not seen. Fine. Even so, why have I not heard that the Porsche driver was also punished, if the rules (I read them) state that both parties are responsible for avoiding contact? If everybody is responsible, nobody is responsible. Bad rule. Horrible enforcement. Period.

On the Corvette, there are many things that could have been better organized, better fielded. It's okay to say there's always next year but not if the old mistakes are not corrected.

Quick Reply: ****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!