Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wing options with similar downforce but more drag-efficient than Stage 3 wickerbill?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 03:55 PM
brakebias
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing options with similar downforce but more drag-efficient than Stage 3 wickerbill?

Tadge says the Stage 3 wickerbill for the C7Z has a drag coefficient of 0.40-0.50. Some others have said that it reduces top speed at end of a straight by up to ~5mph from real world experience.

I am looking for an adjustable rear wing for my C7 Z06 that is more drag-efficient than the Stage 3 wickerbill and adds similar downforce at the wing's milder AoA settings, as I do not plan to get a larger front splitter (worried about more scraping). However, I also don't mind a slight rear aero imbalance which I had on my previous track car. I also like the look of a wing more than the wickerbill.

Per fleming23's post here, the ZR1 wing has similar downforce as the Stage 3 wickerbill but has less drag. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-zr1-wing.html

Problem is that the OEM wing costs $6k and I am looking for something cheaper.

Does the APR Performance 71" rear wing at its mildest AoA add similar downforce to the Stage 3 wickerbill? Any other suggestions would be great - thanks in advance.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:26 PM
JRL
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I run the EOS ZR1 Replica Carbon Fiber wing. Similar downforce to Stage 3, but less drag. You'll need the Carbon Fiber version which is stronger and also came with inserts to put inside to make it stronger and not flop around.

https://extremeonlinestore.com/produ...40427659329706.

The following users liked this post:
Black E (04-22-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 11:36 AM
C7 DWNFRCE
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brakebias
Tadge says the Stage 3 wickerbill for the C7Z has a drag coefficient of 0.40-0.50. Some others have said that it reduces top speed at end of a straight by up to ~5mph from real world experience.

I am looking for an adjustable rear wing for my C7 Z06 that is more drag-efficient than the Stage 3 wickerbill and adds similar downforce at the wing's milder AoA settings, as I do not plan to get a larger front splitter (worried about more scraping). However, I also don't mind a slight rear aero imbalance which I had on my previous track car. I also like the look of a wing more than the wickerbill.

Per fleming23's post here, the ZR1 wing has similar downforce as the Stage 3 wickerbill but has less drag. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-zr1-wing.html

Problem is that the OEM wing costs $6k and I am looking for something cheaper.

Does the APR Performance 71" rear wing at its mildest AoA add similar downforce to the Stage 3 wickerbill? Any other suggestions would be great - thanks in advance.
The nine lives zr1 replacemet wing is significantly better in everyway. You'll need to buy the zr1 mount kit but check that out. I run that and recently converted it to a dual element. You can set it to zero degrees and be more efficient and make more downforce than zr1. Then get the 3/4 gurney flap. The flap can be removed most of the time but if you ever add significant front aero put that in and set wing at 7 to 9 degrees and create a lot of rear grip. Also have the option for cheap to convert to a dual element later to. Don't use the eos mount. I broke that mount at an event and almost wrecked due to instant loss of rear grip. So gm mount. You can use the eos rear spoiler delete kit though. Apr is an option too just not as good to grow with and is 3" narrower.
Old 04-23-2024, 04:56 PM
JRL
Pro

C7,

I was thinking about the Nine Lives Wing, did the EOC bracket fail where the wing mounts to the bracket?
Old 04-23-2024, 05:09 PM
C7 DWNFRCE
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JRL
C7,

I was thinking about the Nine Lives Wing, did the EOC bracket fail where the wing mounts to the bracket?
First the part that connects to the chassis broke, bolts broke thought the vertical bracket. I braced that and then the portion that connects to the adapters, it's the piece that runs horizontal broke. I think that's the part you're talking about yes. I now take the wing off when I trailer it. My thought is the bouncing on the trailer probably weakens it. I still have a modified version of the eos but little of it left. It's about 25lbs of square stock now lol. So not ideal. Adding a new improved custom mount after ls fest next week. The wing mount is such a pain on these cars. Another option would be just use the nine lines big wing kit. I just didn't like the look of it but if it's strong I'd take it over zr1 style mount issues. Honestly I dont see the oem zr1 mount holding up to the load too long. It's like a leaveage arm hanging out back there bouncing around. One more thing I've learned about wings is having one you can get enough efficient downforce later is nice. So bigger than you think ran at low aoa then increasing as needed. Hope that helps.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:15 PM
JRL
Pro

Great info and feedback, I was thinking about doing the GM mount (I checked , they still make it), w/ the Nine Lives Wing.
Have fun at LS Fest, I gotta go one day

Thanks !

Get notified of new replies

To Wing options with similar downforce but more drag-efficient than Stage 3 wickerbill?

Quick Reply: Wing options with similar downforce but more drag-efficient than Stage 3 wickerbill?