Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Old 05-11-2018, 09:39 AM
Smokeyjr
Emerging Vendor

Received 597 Likes on 407 Posts

Ok..i changed to huff...every track (IMSA releases bop at every track) I think that corvette races on with other teams has a difference in balance of power...no matter who is trying to equal things out...that isn't going to happen...why because it depends on who is enforcing the bop and who knows how to reduce or increase the bop in teams...close but no cigar ....every factory team has a difference of bop: be it weight...suspension or engine demods or modifications that are allowed...and i would think that they are trying to figure different things out to beat the opposition...but sir...you are comparing age of drivers in your previous post...and a change...

Last edited by Smokeyjr; 05-11-2018 at 05:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
grantar2 (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 12:51 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
The standings in each race speak for themselves. It's either the cars, the drivers, BoP, or a combination of bothall three.
Fixed that for you...

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 05-11-2018, 02:41 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokeyjr
Your opinion doesn't have marret...you are calling for driver removals bud...then prove to us why they need to be removed...if you don't have proof why the drivers have slowed or changed ...you got nothing...i like you to see each lap time...every change they have made to make them slower ...
There is no such thing as absolute proof even if you have data. Opinions are fine, some are more informed than others. I compete, and have an SCCA Championship, as well as multiple seasons of wins, but even if you had my data logger data you could still only offer an opinion.

I also cover racing and work for the promoters as a race photographer with more than 40 years experience, so my opinion is based on watching thousands of laps, talking to the teams and drivers, having access to the garage. The best I could do is still only an opinion perhaps influenced by talking to the crews.

I don't think Team Corvette has any issue with the drivers. This is a series with balance of performance control, at any given venue this impacts car performance. But to demand facts in a forum is at best arrogant, at worst ignorant.

By the way besides my racing and experience in media I also have 30 years of flight test experience for Rockwell, and Northrop Grumman so I understand data.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:43 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Long Beach 2018
The following users liked this post:
VetteDrmr (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 03:27 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Mags, Gavin, and Milner need to go.
I don't see this yet...
Old 05-11-2018, 04:38 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Your opinion doesn't have marret...you are calling for driver removals bud...then prove to us why they need to be removed...if you don't have proof why the drivers have slowed or changed ...you got nothing...i like you to see each lap time...every change they have made to make them slower ...

You can huff and puff all you want, it isn't going to get you anything. I don't do "demands" from online keyboard warriors. Who is "us"? Are you speaking for a group? I doubt it.

and the word is "merit",

bud
Old 05-11-2018, 04:39 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Fixed that for you...

Have a good one,
Mike

lame...and childish.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:06 PM
Smokeyjr
Emerging Vendor

ok...thanks...I don't see it yet either

Last edited by Smokeyjr; 05-11-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:12 PM
Smokeyjr
Emerging Vendor

Mcrider...hey bud...I'll invite you to watch the vettes with me at Road America and bring your vette as well
Old 05-11-2018, 05:34 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

FWIW, my OPINION is based on watching these drivers since they became part of CR.

Of the 3 I mentioned (Mags, Gavin, Milner), none are as aggressive on-track as I think they should be.
Only Garcia is willing to push thru traffic with the best of his competitors.
Considering their age (Mags, Gavin) it's easy to understand...it happens to older drivers when their reflexes slow and they have families at home to worry about.
This why at the top levels of Motorsports there are few middle aged drivers.

My bitch about Milner is about not only his lack of aggressiveness, but he makes more mistakes than the other 3.
If he was very quick (he isn't), it would be forgivable.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:01 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Mcrider...hey bud...I'll invite you to watch the vettes with me at Road America and bring your vette as well

Wife and I are already booked and have our tickets for Road America, and we will be in our GS!

Would enjoy meeting you and bench racing in real life!
Old 05-11-2018, 07:44 PM
Smokeyjr
Emerging Vendor

Sure...we could meet...we are 30 minutes away...if you like to know...the corvette corral is celebrating 50 years
Old 05-11-2018, 07:48 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Sure...we could meet...we are 30 minutes away...if you like to know...the corvette corral is celebrating 50 years
We plan on being in the corvette corral. Never been there before but do plan on being there early.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:56 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

lame...and childish.
Ok, so explain to me how BoP doesn't affect the performance of the Corvette teams?
Old 05-11-2018, 08:19 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Ok, so explain to me how BoP doesn't affect the performance of the Corvette teams?

Look at the lap times from Mid Ohio or any of the other races. All 8 cars were within 1 second of each other on their fastest lap. Pretty much eliminates the BOP now doesn't it? Since the cars are clearly fast enough, then it's either a mechanical, driver, or both making the difference. In only 2 races, Long Beach and Mid Ohio have they had car problems. Long Beach had the 4 car winning and Mid Ohio had the 3 car in 3rd. The cars are fast enough to win, but aren't.

https://sportscarchampionship.imsa.c...=89&sessid=675
Old 05-11-2018, 09:10 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Look at the lap times from Mid Ohio or any of the other races. All 8 cars were within 1 second of each other on their fastest lap.

Well, fastest lap time doesn't mean much to me, because the conditions can be varying so much, not to mention racecraft and gap management.

HOWEVER, that link you shared was quite interesting. When I looked at how the manufacturers were comparing Corvette is 3 points behind Porsche, 2 points behind Ford. So the overall performances are pretty darn even, which supports your BoP argument, IMO.

Still, I'm not ready to toss the drivers. Driver's performance is obviously affected by team strategy.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 05-11-2018, 10:09 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Look at the lap times from Mid Ohio or any of the other races. All 8 cars were within 1 second of each other on their fastest lap. Pretty much eliminates the BOP now doesn't it? Since the cars are clearly fast enough, then it's either a mechanical, driver, or both making the difference. In only 2 races, Long Beach and Mid Ohio have they had car problems. Long Beach had the 4 car winning and Mid Ohio had the 3 car in 3rd. The cars are fast enough to win, but aren't.

Based on your link - 4/10th of a second was the difference when looking at the fastest lap.--
And while the fast lap is only one data point, it appears the BoP was pretty accurate.

Get notified of new replies

To ****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Old 05-12-2018, 06:46 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by raff
Based on your link - 4/10th of a second was the difference when looking at the fastest lap.--
And while the fast lap is only one data point, it appears the BoP was pretty accurate.

I think it shows that the cars are very close with regards to performance. I am right now watching a rerun of Mid America on IMSA's ROKU channel and CR is not attacking in the way the Prototype drivers are. Watching the Acura's, Mazda's and Cadillac go after each other is great racing. They are pushing and shoving for position.

I am not seeing this same type of aggression from CR, and the lack of podium finishes is apparent. So far their have been 12 trophies handed out thru 4 races, CR has 2 and there are only 8 cars and 4 teams.

If this is a team strategy, it needs adjustment now while the season is still young.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:18 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,967 Likes on 1,029 Posts

I think it shows that the cars are very close with regards to performance. I am right now watching a rerun of Mid America on IMSA's ROKU channel and CR is not attacking in the way the Prototype drivers are. Watching the Acura's, Mazda's and Cadillac go after each other is great racing. They are pushing and shoving for position.

I am not seeing this same type of aggression from CR, and the lack of podium finishes is apparent. So far their have been 12 trophies handed out thru 4 races, CR has 2 and there are only 8 cars and 4 teams.

If this is a team strategy, it needs adjustment now while the season is still young.
Actually it is 3 trophies for Corvette. Since the Ferrari started 2 races, mkaing 4.5 teams (or 4.25 since Ferrari only have 1 car and everyone else 2) all else being equal 12/4.25= 2.82 trophies for an average team...so with that Corvette is slightly better than average.

Lets look at it your way. Number of "trophies"

Porsche: 3
BMW: 2
Ford: 4
Corvette:3
Ferrari: 0

Seems about as close to even as possible at this point. To be honest, I'm not sure it stays that way as I think Corvette is at a disadvantage on some of the higher speed tracks. I think they may struggle at Watkins Glen and Road America. The Porsche had something special going on last year at Motorsports, so I would expect Porsche and Ford to pull away a little (actually, BMW should be fastest until they get their act together and then get slowed down a little later in the year).

You should send a note to the team about their strategy, I'm sure they will consider it. It's clear, despite winning the championship last year AND the year before, and winning their class at Le Mans 8 times in 18 tries, they have no idea what type of strategy they should be using.

In all seriousness, this is all good discussion. As I said previously, there are some great teams and drivers in the class, and you need to be on top of your game to win now. The Prototype class even more so now with Penske and Joest joining in. This racing is fun. Each race, we really don't know who is going to win and it will come down to driving, setup strategy and luck.

17 cars in class at Le Mans should be great fun. Lets hope the ACO has learned a thing or two about BoP and takes the test day results and runs it through their BS detecting machine. Would hate to see all 4 Fords followed by all 4 Porsches or something like that in the standings at the end.
The following 2 users liked this post by z28lt1:
fruitsalad (05-23-2018), Smokeyjr (05-12-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 12:47 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by z28lt1
Actually it is 3 trophies for Corvette. Since the Ferrari started 2 races, mkaing 4.5 teams (or 4.25 since Ferrari only have 1 car and everyone else 2) all else being equal 12/4.25= 2.82 trophies for an average team...so with that Corvette is slightly better than average.

Lets look at it your way. Number of "trophies"

Porsche: 3
BMW: 2
Ford: 4
Corvette:3
Ferrari: 0

Seems about as close to even as possible at this point. To be honest, I'm not sure it stays that way as I think Corvette is at a disadvantage on some of the higher speed tracks. I think they may struggle at Watkins Glen and Road America. The Porsche had something special going on last year at Motorsports, so I would expect Porsche and Ford to pull away a little (actually, BMW should be fastest until they get their act together and then get slowed down a little later in the year).

You should send a note to the team about their strategy, I'm sure they will consider it. It's clear, despite winning the championship last year AND the year before, and winning their class at Le Mans 8 times in 18 tries, they have no idea what type of strategy they should be using.

In all seriousness, this is all good discussion. As I said previously, there are some great teams and drivers in the class, and you need to be on top of your game to win now. The Prototype class even more so now with Penske and Joest joining in. This racing is fun. Each race, we really don't know who is going to win and it will come down to driving, setup strategy and luck.

17 cars in class at Le Mans should be great fun. Lets hope the ACO has learned a thing or two about BoP and takes the test day results and runs it through their BS detecting machine. Would hate to see all 4 Fords followed by all 4 Porsches or something like that in the standings at the end.

A total of 4 races have been run. There are 3 trophy's per race and that makes 12 total and CR has 2. This isn't anything to brag about any way you look at it.

Last I saw, LeMans has 11 Porsches running. If every one of them is as fast as the 911 & 912, and they are, it's going to be a long 24 hours of playing chase the rabbits.

I really think GM having all their eggs in 1 basket with Pratt & Miller limits the innovation that could be brought to bear if other teams were running Corvettes. It needs to open it up to privateers. Look at what that has done to NASCAR with so many GM teams running.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!