Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 12:07 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

I'm a glass-half-full kinda guy, and hoping the C8.R debuts at next year's Daytona 24.

Last edited by sunsalem; 06-23-2018 at 12:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nickTsandman (06-24-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 01:10 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I'm a glass-half-full kinda guy, and hoping the C8.R debuts at next year's Daytona 24.

I was hoping for this a well...
Old 06-23-2018, 01:16 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by cor123
Corvette Racing: C7.Rs May Be With Us For A Little While Longer
By
Mitch Talley

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. That axiom appears to be true for the Corvette Racing team, which has racked up eight GT wins out of 19 tries at Le Mans. Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan says this year won’t be the last for the Chevy Corvette C7.R to compete, despite debuting at Le Mans and IMSA four years ago. He believes another axiom might be true, too: You’re not getting older, you’re getting better. “I don’t like to refer to it as an old car,” Fehan said of the C7.R during an interview with Motorsport.com, “but it has many years of participation here at Le Mans, which is not a bad thing.” In fact, Fehan said they went faster the night before this interview in the C7.R than ever before, “which means that development pays off. Improvement in tires, aerodynamics, chassis – all those things.” That’s why he says he’s “not concerned” that the C7.R is getting some age and faces increasing competition from newer models. “At the end of the day the BoP is designed to be able to level that playing field [so] I’m not concerned with the age of the car at all,” Fehan said. “Not at all. Its durability and reliability and performance have been well-proven. We feel pretty confident in bringing them out as we know they’re dependable.” The team that spends the least amount of time in the pit box usually wins – not necessarily the fastest car, Fehan pointed out. He believes work by Michelin developing a new tire for the C7.R’s fifth season at Le Mans is “first and foremost” behind the gains made by his team this year. “That’ll be an interesting development,” he said, “(but) we know it’s better.” He also said the team has seen “some gains” in aerodynamics, braking, and overall handling with the chassis and is tweaking different setups, caster, amber, “getting all those things to work in unison. That’s what we’ve been working on.” With all the rumors about the C8 possibly making its debut in 2019, Fehan played dumb, at least to the media, saying he expects to see the same C7.R version “for a while.” “Eventually there will be an eighth-generation Corvette,” he said. “When they introduce that car, we’ll be racing it. But I don’t think that’s going to be for a while.”
Source:
motorsport.com
I get it, but why are Fehan's two best engineers spending more time on "something new" at Pratt & Miller, THIS YEAR, than on tweaking the C7.R ? That doesn't square with an introduction of a new C8.R in 2022 !

I think both the C8 and the C8.R are much closer, but, in GM fashion, no one (not even Fehan) is allowed to give any clues until the official reveal. The reason for this is obvious - as soon as the C8 is officially announced, the sale of C7's will plummet. They still have a bunch of C7's to sell - including 2500 or so ZR1's.

Having said all this, it is hard to deny that THIS is a Corvette of some kind and some model year. I say 2020, based on a good source.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:26 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
They still have a bunch of C7's to sell - including 2500 or so ZR1's.
That seems like a lot of ZR1s...are they not selling well?

Old 06-23-2018, 03:19 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sunsalem
That seems like a lot of ZR1s...are they not selling well?
I am talking both present and PLANNED production. Likely about 1500 this year and another 1000-1500 next year will saturate the market. If you look at the previous ZR1 "Blue Devil" production run, it was about 1500 a year for two years and then a sharp drop-off. Total production over 5 years was ~4600 units.

If the C8 happens in MY2020, I am guessing that the new, more expensive C7 ZR1 will have a shorter production span and fewer total sales. 2500 may be pessimistic, but it certainly won't be more than 3000-4000. The ZR1, more than any other model, it will be sharply impacted by a new mid-engine model.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:08 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

I am talking both present and PLANNED production. Likely about 1500 this year and another 1000-1500 next year will saturate the market. If you look at the previous ZR1 "Blue Devil" production run, it was about 1500 a year for two years and then a sharp drop-off. Total production over 5 years was ~4600 units.

If the C8 happens in MY2020, I am guessing that the new, more expensive C7 ZR1 will have a shorter production span and fewer total sales. 2500 may be pessimistic, but it certainly won't be more than 3000-4000. The ZR1, more than any other model, it will be sharply impacted by a new mid-engine model.
I agree with your analysis.

FWIW and this proves absolutely nothing, Autotrader is currently showing 31 ZR1s available nationwide:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&firstRecord=0
Old 06-23-2018, 08:16 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

The ZR1, more than any other model, it will be sharply impacted by a new mid-engine model.
I don's see the first couple of years of C8 being anything other than a $100K plus car with twin turbos that will directly impact C7 ZR1 sales. in a major way.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:20 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Interesting - the fact that they are already on Autotrader and that most are selling under $140K tells me they are already running into sales resistance at that MSRP. The ZR1 may be both a "Magnum Opus" for the C7, AND a GM market experiment on how much $$$ the Corvette marketplace is willing to pay for the high-end model.

I would guess the C7 Z06 sales experience and trends are already pretty sobering for GM, since you can pick one up, brand spanking new, for $10K+ off MSRP at almost every Chevy dealer in the country right now. I suspect, in a year, the same will be true for the ZR1.

Interestingly, Grand Sports are still selling pretty well. An economist would say that this is a good example of price elasticity.....good to about $75K, and then the market falls off a cliff above that price.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:24 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mcrider
I don's see the first couple of years of C8 being anything other than a $100K plus car with twin turbos that will directly impact C7 ZR1 sales. in a major way.
My point is that a lot of people will buy a ZR1 because it is the next shiny object in their vision. A new mid-engine Corvette, even a base model, will make the ZR1 look old in one day, and you can bet that will impact a lot of sales. It happened big time to the C6 - even the C6 427 convertibles that were introduced in 2013. By the Fall of 2013, NOBODY was buying new C6's.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:39 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,969 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Unlike other manufacturers (Here's looking at you BMW, Ford and others) GM has a habit of not having the race car before the street car. More importantly, due to WEC super-season, next year's Le Mans car will be the same as this year's for the Pro teams. So don't hold you breath too hard for a C8 to be racing on track next year. I imagine, like the C7, you may start to see it on track towards the second half of the year testing for 2020.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:29 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mcrider
IMO, we will see the "base" C8 ME first...which may not have a big impact on the C7 ZR1.

There are folks who do not believe the C8 will actually be an ME.
Once that becomes "official," there may be a panic to snap up the last of the FEs.
I believe GM is being very smart about this...
Interesting - the fact that they are already on Autotrader and that most are selling under $140K tells me they are already running into sales resistance at that MSRP. The ZR1 may be both a "Magnum Opus" for the C7, AND a GM market experiment on how much $$$ the Corvette marketplace is willing to pay for the high-end model.
Excluding the oddball Corvette buyer, there is a limit on how much a Vette can be sold for.
Interestingly, Grand Sports are still selling pretty well. An economist would say that this is a good example of price elasticity.....good to about $75K, and then the market falls off a cliff above that price.
Of the 3 main C7 models, the GS is a just about the perfect choice for a street car.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:58 AM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Received 548 Likes on 347 Posts

Default CORVETTE RACING AT WATKINS GLEN: Back on Familiar Ground

PRESS RELEASE:
CORVETTE RACING AT WATKINS GLEN: Back on Familiar Ground
First event for Corvette Racing since 24 Hours of Le Mans

Program looking for second victory at Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen
Four Corvette Racing drivers tied in GTLM points after four rounds
Corvette C7.Rs to show patriotic livery ahead of Independence Day

DETROIT (June 27, 2018) – Following another appearance at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Corvette Racing is back on American soil as it returns to competition in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship this weekend at Watkins Glen International. The classic 3.4-mile, 11-turn road course in the Finger Lakes region of New York is a fitting stop for Corvette Racing, which is celebrating its 20th season of competition.

The Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen is the start of a critical three-race stretch in four weeks for Corvette Racing, which is seeking to defend its GT Le Mans (GTLM) championships in America’s premier sports car series.

Both the team’s Chevrolet Corvette C7.Rs returned to home base in Michigan late last week following Le Mans. Team personnel had only four days to revert the two race cars into their IMSA configuration and restock its inventory of parts and components for the next three events.

The first of those, of course, is Sunday at The Glen. Corvette Racing’s Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen were victorious in 2014, and they were third a year ago in GTLM. The pairing, which will share the No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C7.R, comes off a fourth-place finish in class at Le Mans and third in the most recent GTLM race at Mid-Ohio.

Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner have one victory to their credit in the No. 4 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Corvette C7.R, and they are tied with their No. 3 teammates for fourth place in championship point. Milner and Gavin hope to rebound from a disappointing Le Mans, where they were forced to retire early due to engine overheating.

The No. 4 Corvette has finished fourth and fifth in class the last two years at The Glen, and hopes are high that the Gavin/Milner duo can climb the podium at The Glen for the first time.

Both Corvette C7.Rs will run in a special patriotic livery this weekend ahead of Independence Day. For the past 20 years, Corvette Racing has been proud to field an American team from an American manufacturer with an American sports car.

Chevrolet, Corvette on Display at The Glen
Along with its familiar yellow Corvette C7.Rs on the Watkins Glen race track this weekend, Chevrolet also will have a presence off it with its Corvette Racing Display. Opening on Friday, Chevrolet’s Corvette Racing Display again will be part of the Watkins Glen Midway with a number of Chevrolet performance and passenger vehicles on-hand for interested spectators. Out of all those, however, there is one special auto that likely will command the most attention: the 2019 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1.

Bearing a badge that is steeped in history and incredible performance, the Corvette ZR1 doesn’t disappoint. The supercar that establishes a new standard at Chevrolet for power output, track performance and technology with top track speed of 212 mph thanks to a 6.2L supercharged V8 that generates 755 hp.

Traces of the Corvette Racing program are all over the ZR1. Most notable are the prominent splitter at the front of the car and a rear wing for additional downforce. Both were developed out of lessons learned from motorsports.

Also among the lineup of Chevrolets at the Display include:
Performance and production models such as the Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE, Traverse High Country, Silverado HD High Country, Equinox Premier and Malibu Premier.
A Corvette C7.R show car
Samples of Chevrolet engines, performance parts and accessories available to fans for purchase from their local Chevrolet dealer
A variety of Chevrolet and racing related activities for adults and kids
Commemorative Corvette Racing 20th Season t-shirts for fans who sign up with Corvette Racing.

The Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen will air live at 9:30 a.m. ET on FOX Sports 1 and the FOX Sports Go app. Streaming in-car footage along with live audio coverage of practice, qualifying and the race from IMSA Radio is available on IMSA.com.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “After a disappointing result at Le Mans, the best thing we can do is focus on what will make us successful at Watkins Glen. We did a good job at Le Mans and didn’t make any mistakes. So that can give us confidence going back to IMSA competition, and we need to replicate that at The Glen. A lot can change in the next four weeks, to be sure. Watkins Glen is a track that I really enjoy. Hopefully we have the pace to fight for the win.”

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “Watkins Glen is a really tough race – a six-hour sprint race. In a lot of ways, we are going back to what we know with the IMSA process and competition. Things were a little different at Le Mans in that respect. But at the Glen, we’ll be back among the usual teams and competition that we know a little better. This is the start of a run of races where a lot can happen in the points. Let’s see how it shakes out for us.”

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “Watkins Glen starts an important period of our championship. It’s always a fantastic track to go to – high-speed, really physical and demanding. It’s great fun to drive there. We always get fantastic support there with the biggest Corvette Corral of the season. That’s always wonderful to see all the Corvettes parked at Turn One. We’re starting a really important part of our year. The guys on the team will have their work cut out for them getting things ready for the next month. But everyone on this program works exceptionally hard, and I’ve no doubt we all will be ready for The Glen.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “In some ways, you can get a little caught off-guard by Watkins Glen because we spend so much time focusing on Le Mans. But it’s not long after you get home that you’re off again to Watkins Glen. There is some adjustment when you arrive at The Glen. We’ll be back in high-downforce configuration, which is a bit of a change for us. It’s a shorter weekend than Le Mans, and things happen quick. In a lot of ways it’s a big adjustment but a lot of it at the same is similar – same team, same car, same co-drivers.”

DOUG FEHAN, CORVETTE RACING PROGRAM MANAGER: “In our 20 years of competition, Corvette Racing has been fortunate to race great tracks throughout North America. Four years ago, we were able to add one of the best when we raced for the first time at Watkins Glen. It’s a classic American circuit that is perfect for our type of racing. We’re hopeful to rebound from a difficult Le Mans with another strong showing for our fans at The Glen. It’s an important weekend ahead of Independence Day. We’re proud of our heritage as an American team with an American car from an American manufacturer. That’s about as patriotic as it gets!”

The following users liked this post:
'Shifter (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 01:20 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

I like it!
Old 06-27-2018, 03:35 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Default Sahlen's six hours of the glen race info

Jun 28 to Jul 01 - 2018Watkins Glen, NYTrack: Watkins Glen InternationalRace Duration: 6 hoursCircuit Length: 3.4 miles
Entry by Class:
Prototype (16)
GT Le Mans (8)
GT Daytona (18)
Qualifying Saturday June 30, 2018 Watch live IMSA TV http://imsatv.imsa.com/
GTD) 11:35 PM to 11:50 PM EDT
(GTLM) 12:00 PM to 12:15 PM EDT
(P) 12:25 PM to 12:40 PM EDT
Television Broadcast Sunday July 1, 2018Television Broadcast: Fox Sports: 1 9:30 to 4:00 pm EDTOnline Broadcast: 9:35 am to 3:45 pm EDTFlag to flog coverage on FSGO with FS1 authenticationNon-US: http://imsatv.imsa.com/
Onboard cameras: IMSA.com (includes live images, in-car cameras and announcers)
http://www.imsa.com/camera/imsatv
Radio: IMSA Radio
1) Streaming on IMSA TV on IMSA.com & RadioLeMans.com2) Scanner frequency 454.0003) Sirius 1384) XM 202
5) SiriusXM Online 967
LIVE TIMING:
The following 2 users liked this post by cor123:
'Shifter (06-29-2018), z28lt1 (06-27-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 09:55 PM
dparm
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Has anyone bought an inexpensive handheld scanner and actually listened in during a race? I see decent Uniden ones for about $75-100. Seems like it might be fun, and you can also look up the various track/facility frequencies online.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:00 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dparm
Has anyone bought an inexpensive handheld scanner and actually listened in during a race? I see decent Uniden ones for about $75-100. Seems like it might be fun, and you can also look up the various track/facility frequencies online.
Yes, I bring my scanner with me to every race. Works great. Years ago you could pick up a list of frequencies every car was using. Haven t found that in a while, but have a good handful programmed, plus the TV and Radio broadcasts.

I have a couple of antennas for different types of locations/tracks that help a little bit, but for most places it isn't needed.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:35 PM
dparm
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by z28lt1

Yes, I bring my scanner with me to every race. Works great. Years ago you could pick up a list of frequencies every car was using. Haven t found that in a while, but have a good handful programmed, plus the TV and Radio broadcasts.

I have a couple of antennas for different types of locations/tracks that help a little bit, but for most places it isn't needed.

Thanks. I was looking at the Uniden BC75XLT. It's not a very high-end scanner, but it's relatively small and well-rated.

Get notified of new replies

To ****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Old 06-28-2018, 11:23 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Little chatter

I was surprised how little chatter (communications) there is between drivers and crew.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:11 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks. I was looking at the Uniden BC75XLT. It's not a very high-end scanner, but it's relatively small and well-rated.
i use a BC125AT, which is very similar. The 125at has a few more features, but doesn't cover as many frequencies as the 75xlt. You'll be good with the 75xlt, but if you are only usinng it for racing thre 125at's alphanumeric tagging (so I programming it to say "Corvette #3" instead of just a frequency number) may be a better way to go as they are usually close in price. Neither one will receive the new phase 2 frequencies many police and fire departments and such are moving to, but they are good for racing, air traffic, and some public services that haven't moved over.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:31 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Corvette Racing and other IMSA frequencies are on the Corvette Corral schedule that I post.

Quick Reply: ****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!