Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to adjust Pfadt Coilovers without drilling holes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 11:08 AM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Any way to adjust Pfadt Coilovers without drilling holes?

Im trying to think of a way to turn the adjustment **** on top of the rear coilover without drilling holes in my 'street car'

Google pointed me to a couple individuals (not corvettes) that would install some fuel line with a clamp and it would allow them to spin the top from any position.

I was thinking something like a flexable extension and socket permently mounted to the top of the shock and ran through the small opening. (like the LG coilovers do).

or would the LG remote adjusters fit on top of the Pfadt's coilover?

Anyone that has tried let me know. As of know, Im going to set the rears to 7 and install them, No drilling till i can figure something out.

Pfadt, if you have any prototypes, send them this way, ill accept them as swagg.

-Carl

Last edited by carlrx7; 12-22-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:47 AM
carlrx7
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

bump
Old 12-23-2010, 10:03 AM
carlrx7
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I found something like this, might try them if i can get a look at the other end to see if it will fit.

-Carl
Old 12-23-2010, 10:25 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

If you don't want to drill holes you'd have to unbolt the top of the coil over to adjust. If you drill the hole you can always put a carplug in after the adjustment is made. Also if you don't cut a hole in the carpet no one would even know that there are holes back there. I don't see a way to get something on top of there to make the adjustment. You want to know for sure what the settings are not guess if it clicked or not.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:31 AM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
If you don't want to drill holes you'd have to unbolt the top of the coil over to adjust. If you drill the hole you can always put a carplug in after the adjustment is made. Also if you don't cut a hole in the carpet no one would even know that there are holes back there. I don't see a way to get something on top of there to make the adjustment. You want to know for sure what the settings are not guess if it clicked or not.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Rob P
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't have holes on one of my vettes and it was a pain in the @#$. Save yourself the headache and drill the holes. I did that and you cannot see anything. the carpet fuzz hides the holes on the inside.

I don't understand why they haven't come up with a better way for rear adjustment.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:26 AM
jamsvet
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

For two years I resisted cutting a hole. PITA. I could barely get my fingers on the adjuster and had to count clicks carefully. Plus, no adjusting again unless I took the wheels off. I love it now. we used PVC caps painted them black and used them to fill the holes.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:22 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Those extensions just don't work very well. They will come off, or screw up the adjuster. Guys are having issues with them on the LG Units.
I drilled the holes, but if I had to do it again, I would do it differently.
I would drill 1/2" holes, put clear tubing through the holes and over the end of the coilover adjustment. Allow the tubing to come through the hole about 1/8" and put a bushing like the one pictured in the top end of the tube to prevent it from being pushed out of the hole by the carpet. The tubing will block out any weather and you can easily insert the allen wrench and make the adjustment through the tube.

Last edited by dfinke23; 12-28-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:35 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Also you can use a long 3mm allen wrench to adjust, works for me.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:11 PM
pbuff
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drilled the holes

I have a 2010 GS and installed the Pfadt Aggressor coilovers and sway bars. I started with the recommended track settings, but I do street the car and found this a little harsh.
So I bit the bullet and drilled the rear holes to allow for adjustments.

The new template (on line) is right on and you only need a 1" hole to allow access with a long 3mm allen wrench.
One recommendation.....buy a mechanics stethiscope so you can hear the clicks. Yes...they are audible...so I question your use of an extension tool to adjust the shocks.

I set the shocks at 6 for the street then crank it up for the track (Time Trials).
After cutting the hole, I inserted a 1-1/12" rubber stopper (plug) into the hole then layed the carpet, put a nail through the carpet to find center, then cut a cross pattern in the carpet. Now I have the plugs going through the carpet into the holes...........
Looks good and works.

Last edited by pbuff; 12-28-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:46 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

can you post a picture?
Old 12-28-2010, 02:37 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinke23
Those extensions just don't work very well. They will come off, or screw up the adjuster. Guys are having issues with them on the LG Units.
I drilled the holes, but if I had to do it again, I would do it differently.
I would drill 1/2" holes, put clear tubing through the holes and over the end of the coilover adjustment. Allow the tubing to come through the hole about 1/8" and put a bushing like the one pictured in the top end of the tube to prevent it from being pushed out of the hole by the carpet. The tubing will block out any weather and you can easily insert the allen wrench and make the adjustment through the tube.

I drilled 1/2" holes over three years ago and added some thin-wall tubing to seal the holes and slip snuggly over the top of the CO adjustment shaft. The tubing additionally acts as a guide for the allen wrench and is large enough to be able to see the top of the shaft if you need to.

I've never had any problems with the tubes moving and have them protruding though the carpet to provide easy access as I change the settings each event as the car is my DD also. If you pull out the COs slipping the tubing back in place is very easy from inside the car.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:19 PM
pbuff
Intermediate

Default Pic coming

Sure
I'll post a picture for you tomorrow
Old 12-28-2010, 09:49 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dbratten
I drilled 1/2" holes over three years ago and added some thin-wall tubing to seal the holes and slip snuggly over the top of the CO adjustment shaft. The tubing additionally acts as a guide for the allen wrench and is large enough to be able to see the top of the shaft if you need to.

I've never had any problems with the tubes moving and have them protruding though the carpet to provide easy access as I change the settings each event as the car is my DD also. If you pull out the COs slipping the tubing back in place is very easy from inside the car.
Next time you change settings, post a pic.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:06 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinke23
Next time you change settings, post a pic.
It's a slow night, so ... here you go.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:17 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:17 AM
carlrx7
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

thanks! that looks very clean, and i can accept something like that.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:45 AM
pbuff
Intermediate

Here another option...the plugs

Get notified of new replies

To Any way to adjust Pfadt Coilovers without drilling holes?

Quick Reply: Any way to adjust Pfadt Coilovers without drilling holes?