Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10/10ths @ VIR --- March 14/15

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:30 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldnt everyone who is registering in this thread qualify as "the group"? Or you didnt mean that lol
Old 01-19-2011, 09:32 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WNeal

Glad you are making it Joel

Joel wants to do a drive-by (often) on you too
Old 01-19-2011, 10:35 PM
fastrash
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bink
I'm in!!! Can't wait. VIR is heaven on earth.
You driving your car this time??? Or is that other dark haired fella' drivin' again???
Old 01-19-2011, 10:38 PM
fastrash
Instructor

Originally Posted by WNeal
Good thing cuz I KNOW you can't tell us how to drive fast
No need to "tell" ...... just watch and learn.....
Old 01-20-2011, 12:41 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by powerjunky
Wouldnt everyone who is registering in this thread qualify as "the group"? Or you didnt mean that lol
not sure if I would call it the Group but most are insane
Old 01-20-2011, 08:32 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Yeah Dogggyyyy! on the insane. Really though, I have never had the pleasure of running with a more cool headed group than 10/10ths Motorsports. Although there are a lot of freedoms in the run groups that you won't find in some others, I have never felt uncomfortable. A lot of friendly, helpful, experienced, and fast drivers!
Old 01-20-2011, 11:14 AM
cire96
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
Can You run open exhaust there?
Generally tracks impose a sound limit at about 100 db. I don't know VIR's sensitivity to sound at a track day event, but I'm betting Bill can clarify. BTW, typically, all you need to overcome a sound issue is a 45 degree outlet to direct the noise away from wherever they measure it!

One last thought.. If Popp's scarry loud blue rocket is okay at VIR, then I suspect almost anything short of a 10 megaton exposion is honkey dory!
Cire
Old 01-20-2011, 12:17 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Loud car @ VIR example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeIMBD6BCRQ
Old 01-20-2011, 12:33 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in my time at VIR, they have never had an issue with sound.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:44 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

This event might be a really good time for W2W, TT and others to come out and get things sorted for the start of the season. Many times in the past most drivers have had so much time during the day that the open group running the last 2 hours may not have anyone on track at all. Those that stay till the last open session may very well have the track to themselves.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:47 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cire96
One last thought.. If Popp's scarry loud blue rocket is okay at VIR, then I suspect almost anything short of a 10 megaton exposion is honkey dory!...........
Cire
Amen to that. My left ear used to be better than my right. Now I have a matched pair thanks to the blue rocket passing on the left.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:48 PM
cire96
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by southern_son
This event might be a really good time for W2W, TT and others to come out and get things sorted for the start of the season. Many times in the past most drivers have had so much time during the day that the open group running the last 2 hours may not have anyone on track at all. Those that stay till the last open session may very well have the track to themselves.
Very tempting....
Old 01-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StKnoWhere
Man I miss not living 45 min from VIR anymore.

Looks like the closest track to St. Louis is Putman. I just bought a Vette to replace a Miata and can't wait to get on track with something that responds to the right foot.
Come and join us @ Putnam on April 2nd & 3rd!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:45 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wallyman424
in my time at VIR, they have never had an issue with sound.
I also have never seen any issue at VIR with too much noise and I've seen some very loud cars on that track. I guess it's possible some body could have had an issue with too much noise, but I never heard about it.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:52 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Wow...My GFsaid If I can sell my Roll bar Hoops, she'll pay for half the Roll Bar from Wolfe Race Craft Bes GF or What???

I say If I can get this sold and installed, Count me in!!!

Can we get a head count to see how many wanna register and maybe Wneal can give us all a group rate?

Btw My Gf wants to ride along, This would be my first time doing a Track event, Is that a problem? If so what can I do to give her a joy ride

Last edited by TriplBlk; 01-20-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:45 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Wow...My GFsaid If I can sell my Roll bar Hoops, she'll pay for half the Roll Bar from Wolfe Race Craft Bes GF or What???

I say If I can get this sold and installed, Count me in!!!

Can we get a head count to see how many wanna register and maybe Wneal can give us all a group rate?

Btw My Gf wants to ride along, This would be my first time doing a Track event, Is that a problem? If so what can I do to give her a joy ride
Good to see ya found a way to get the roll bar... Just be sure ya check with event staff to make sure they allow ya to run with it ... Each group may be different ...

As for Passengers I am not sure they allow it in the green group Honestly you may not even want a passenger for your first event ... May be a distraction as you will see it gets quite busy mentally and physically just hitting your marks and staying safe..

I may be instructing for the event and there are plenty of advanced drivers who always are willing to give someone a ride just need to talk with event staff on passenger rules......1010ths is one of the few groups that on a limited basis allow passengers ... Most groups prevent it 100%
Old 01-21-2011, 06:09 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
Good to see ya found a way to get the roll bar... Just be sure ya check with event staff to make sure they allow ya to run with it ... Each group may be different ...

As for Passengers I am not sure they allow it in the green group Honestly you may not even want a passenger for your first event ... May be a distraction as you will see it gets quite busy mentally and physically just hitting your marks and staying safe..

I may be instructing for the event and there are plenty of advanced drivers who always are willing to give someone a ride just need to talk with event staff on passenger rules......1010ths is one of the few groups that on a limited basis allow passengers ... Most groups prevent it 100%
No doubt we can get an instructor to give her a ride in a race car

Get notified of new replies

To 10/10ths @ VIR --- March 14/15

Old 01-21-2011, 08:38 AM
cire96
Burning Brakes

First, your lady is a keeper! However, as someone else mentioned here, if this is your first on track experience, I'd avoid the distraction of a passenger. My guess is that after the first session your see that the level of multitasking is pretty demanding and having a passenger who's not your instructor can be a challenge.

Most of us "track ho's" vividly remember leaving our first track event spent (both mentaly and physically) and ready for bed. That said, we'd also agree that it was the most fun we'd ever had with our pants on! As for your lady getting some track time, we'll get her plenty of rides.
Cire
Old 01-21-2011, 09:36 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"

Originally Posted by cire96
First, your lady is a keeper! However, as someone else mentioned here, if this is your first on track experience, I'd avoid the distraction of a passenger. My guess is that after the first session your see that the level of multitasking is pretty demanding and having a passenger who's not your instructor can be a challenge.

Most of us "track ho's" vividly remember leaving our first track event spent (both mentaly and physically) and ready for bed. That said, we'd also agree that it was the most fun we'd ever had with our pants on! As for your lady getting some track time, we'll get her plenty of rides.
Cire
What he said
you will have a busy day and have lots to learn but you will have a blast
Old 01-21-2011, 10:07 AM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

I was kinda thinking maybe the first time out Id go by myself and maybe later in the day see If I can handle her with me lol How many times/sessions are there that we run? Any chance I can get evaluated and If I do well enough see where it goes? Or does it not work like that ?

Btw I just talked to a buddy with a 98 Coupe trying to get him to go, he's a little "iffy" about it cause he thinks someone may bump into his car? I dont see how though...anyone have some calming words I can tell him?

The Ride with one of the instructor would be nice alternate, Im hoping that would be the same for her If by some chance I cant.

Quick Reply: 10/10ths @ VIR --- March 14/15