Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Contact and a DQ

Old 03-09-2011, 01:15 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Default First Contact and a DQ

Well, I had my first incident of contact with another car on Sunday. I went down and ran a nasa race in SoCal in my T1 vette. I also had a really bad start to the race. Here's a vid of the first half of my race. The camera angle sucks, but I was trying to get a better view of the cars behind me in the mirror. I'll have to try something else next time. I was using the shocks from my LG G2 coilovers with the T1 suspension. They are probably over damped for rebound for these springs and my car seemed to push in some turns. My car weighs 3230 lbs with 366 rwhp so I was running ST2. The contact was due to me not stopping soon enough going into a slow turn and lightly hitting another car in the back.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry about the contact and DQ.

I've been hit a couple of times, but no one got DQ'ed. Sounds like your region is a little more stringent than ours. I do know they are becoming more strict about people reporting contact than they used to be, which, I don't guess, is a bad thing.

BTW, where is your right side net connected?
Old 03-09-2011, 05:10 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Behind the dash there are some metal supports and I attached one end of the center net clips to one of those. It's pretty strong and then I just squeezed the strap between the dash panels.

Regarding the contact, I was curious what other racers had to say about my incident. I didn't really expect to be DQ'd since it didn't have any affect on the race, but I guess that is their policy for contact between 2 cars out of class. I can see why they made that rule and then I guess it's up to the drivers whether they think the contact is severe enough to report after the race.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by redtopz
Regarding the contact, I was curious what other racers had to say about my incident. I didn't really expect to be DQ'd since it didn't have any affect on the race, but I guess that is their policy for contact between 2 cars out of class. I can see why they made that rule and then I guess it's up to the drivers whether they think the contact is severe enough to report after the race.
Are you on a provisional license by any chance?

To be honest, it was so mild I couldn't really tell when contact was made. It sure wasn't significant, and, IMHO, I don't think our region would have DQ'ed anyone for that. They would have expected a contact report to be filed, but I doubt any action would have been taken, unless there was a provisional licensee involved.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:09 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry I don't have time to watch the whole 15min video, but I'd like to see the contact. At what point in the video did it occur?
Old 03-09-2011, 07:15 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its at about 9 minutes...

that was BARELY contact. i can't believe you got DQ'd for that.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:32 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Bill, sorry to hear about your contact. It happens! You will do fine Best of luck!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:49 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry bout the DQ, I personally didn't think that was anything to write home about. Just racing and yes things happen, I doubt you barely scratched the paint on both your cars right?

I got into Wally a few years back at a Summit Point NASA race and it was about the same contact as yours. Little scuff on each of our cars, no big deal just racing. We laughed and had beers after the race, I think the guy in the cup car was over reacting in my opinion.

Anyhoo, thanks for sharing and work on that center net location and camera mounting.

Aaron
Old 03-09-2011, 09:50 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rasrboy
I got into Wally a few years back at a Summit Point NASA race and it was about the same contact as yours. Little scuff on each of our cars, no big deal just racing. We laughed and had beers after the race, I think the guy in the cup car was over reacting in my opinion.

Aaron
Still one of my favorite racing moments.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:31 PM
KY-Traveler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Can't believe you got DQ'd.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:55 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Honestly Bill...I would have "moved" him out of my way a long time before you did :o I've seen this guy on track off/on over the last few years, really nothing to write home about (as you saw first hand). As long as it doesn't affect your licensing standings, don't sweat it; and if it does, PROTEST IT. Sorry to hear you got a DQ from it though. You had no way to know this guy was going to take the hairpin at a 1st gear speed rather than a 2nd/3rd gear speed, he wasn't consistent with his previous laps and you can't read his mind. What is it they say? Oh ya, "racing incident"
Old 03-10-2011, 12:05 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424
Still one of my favorite racing moments.
That was some good chit for sure buddy, but I gotta say that standing start we did was icing on the cake.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:47 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
Honestly Bill...I would have "moved" him out of my way a long time before you did :o I've seen this guy on track off/on over the last few years, really nothing to write home about (as you saw first hand). As long as it doesn't affect your licensing standings, don't sweat it; and if it does, PROTEST IT. Sorry to hear you got a DQ from it though. You had no way to know this guy was going to take the hairpin at a 1st gear speed rather than a 2nd/3rd gear speed, he wasn't consistent with his previous laps and you can't read his mind. What is it they say? Oh ya, "racing incident"
Old 03-10-2011, 01:55 AM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Were you DQ'd by the Race Director, Greg or Ryan? I'm really shocked that occured to you and I believe it was a result of the outcome from my competitor on Saturday with my friend Terry's Corvette.We got our P/P's slapped during Sundays race meeting. Besides, the Nationwide Nascar dude was all talk that whole weekend. Did you see the wedge in that car? He didn't even use it in the big NASCAR turn and slow as...in the infield. Personally, I would have nudged him a bit earlier!

Ed
Old 03-10-2011, 08:56 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Was there "damage" per the CCR?

NASA CCR 27.11

1. Contact bumper to bumper with no deviation and no damage: No penalty
You didn't knock the car off course so it shouldn't have been a DQ IMO, but then again I had a car turn into me at National and I was taken off the Podium for it. His rear tire left a donut on my door and rear quarter panel, IMO that would mean my front tire was to the driver of the other car which according to the rules I had the right to that line. It was my 3rd race weekend so I didn't defend myself until it was to late.

Learn the rules and keep a copy with you...but keep in mind the directors call suppercedes the rules but sometimes they just don't know the rules.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:20 AM
racerbob4
Instructor

Originally Posted by L98Terror

You didn't knock the car off course so it shouldn't have been a DQ IMO, but then again I had a car turn into me at National and I was taken off the Podium for it. His rear tire left a donut on my door and rear quarter panel, IMO that would mean my front tire was to the driver of the other car which according to the rules I had the right to that line. It was my 3rd race weekend so I didn't defend myself until it was to late.

Learn the rules and keep a copy with you...but keep in mind the directors call suppercedes the rules but sometimes they just don't know the rules.
And keep your video handy with the proof of how hard the hit was and the guys erratic driving.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by racerbob4
And keep your video handy with the proof of how hard the hit was and the guys erratic driving.
I used to only video the race and didn't mess with putting the camera in the car for practice or qualifying, but now I have it running every time I go on track.

You never know when you might need evidence. Some of the crazy chit I've seen in qualifying scares me as much as a race.

Get notified of new replies

To First Contact and a DQ

Old 03-10-2011, 10:12 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the feedback, I was wondering what you guys would say about the incident. It's pretty much what I expected .

Originally Posted by AMERICANMUSL
Were you DQ'd by the Race Director, Greg or Ryan? I'm really shocked that occured to you and I believe it was a result of the outcome from my competitor on Saturday with my friend Terry's Corvette.We got our P/P's slapped during Sundays race meeting. Besides, the Nationwide Nascar dude was all talk that whole weekend. Did you see the wedge in that car? He didn't even use it in the big NASCAR turn and slow as...in the infield. Personally, I would have nudged him a bit earlier!

Ed
Well I am from NorCal and I was racing for the 1st time in SoCal with people I didn't know and who didn't know me. I think if this happened in NorCal where people know me I would not have been DQ'd. Yes Ryan DQ'd me and unfortunately I think the fact that something happened Saturday might have been a factor. I was not there on Saturday and I'm a new racer, just having received my comp license last November and I didn't really try to defend myself, I just said "sorry". The other factor was that I missed the race meeting that day, so they probably thought I was some cocky guy who didn't care about the rules.

Originally Posted by L98Terror

There was damage to the rear sheet metal on his car. The left rear quarter panel was connected to the rear sheet metal with pop rivets and they separated. My car has a slight tear in the front end fiberglass where his 3/4" support tubing punctured it.

Originally Posted by racerbob4
I did tell the race directors that the contact was very light and that I thought he slowed down more than normal. I also sent a copy of the video to the regional director so he can see what actually happened and that I wasn't being overly aggressive out there.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:37 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

If you missed the race meeting and didn't have a rep there you are screwed, espicially if something was said about contact. Sounds like something happened on Sat and they probably warned everyone and you got caught up in it. If that was the case then it was justified.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:45 PM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

You nudged him and nothing happened and then a second later he has a huge wiggle all by himself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Contact and a DQ