Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to figure out the tow rig issue - but also want living quarters

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 12:00 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by gtb75
Looks like I've stirred up some good discussion - and I appreciate everybody's input. My thoughts:
  • 95jersey: That's what I've been doing up to this point - staying at nice hotels. Beyond the track/race aspect of it, I also like to camp... The problem this year is I'm now the last of my group in a tent, so the RV thing is something I've been looking at anyway. Is it more expensive than hotel stays (no matter what you get) - oh heck yeah. That being said, if I'm going to do it at all, I want to be able to have the car and the living quarters at the same event - hence either a RV or LQ enclosed trailer.
  • bb69: That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid! Hence me researching it for at least a year (won't buy anything until next year) and getting input from people like you guys
  • 1991Z07: The aspect of having something "NICE" at the track (and out of the weather) is definitely one of the selling points of doing this for me. A pop-up gives you portable shelter, but it's no substitute for four walls, AC/heat, and your own facilities. That being said, I'm a single guy, so I can get what I want (within reason) - but I don't need a monster coach since it's just me. The question is, does a diesel pusher pull that much better than a V10 or 502 equipped Class C? Again, I'm thinking an open trailer if I go the RV route - so probably around 5000 lbs... I'd only go enclosed if I did a LQ trailer. I love the Dynamax coaches, but they're big money - even used.

I will say that I'm definitely not made of money... I can't afford a six-figure rig - nor would I need it for just me. That being said, I've seen some nice used Cat powered diesel pushers for $30k-$40k - so less than a new 2500 pickup. I've also seen some nice used V10/502 powered Class C's for $15k-$25k. What has me even considering the RV route are the prices in this economy. The utility aspect of a pickup is appealing, but the reality is it would pretty much only be used for towing - hence the RV idea. It also sounds like, from a write-off standpoint (I realize it's still a loss), the RV might be a better choice than the LQ trailer.

That all being said, keep the feedback coming... I'm sure some of you guys have been doing this for years, so any input you have is hugely helpful!
The diesel is DEFINITELY the way to go. More towing power and better mileage compared to a gas one. Everyone I know who HAD a gas RV went to diesel a long time ago. The diesel has more grunt to get up the hills. Our Eagle doesn't even downshift hardly at all...only when we get on some serious grades.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:24 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Toy Hauler" trailers can be made to order.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:15 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

gtb75: Great thread; I've also been thinking about moving up to a motor home, primarily for the HPDE season.

Another item that you need to factor in, especially since you are considering an open trailer, is fuel for the race car. With an enclosed trailer, you can put storage containers in the front or rear of the trailer. On an open trailer you are somewhat limited.

I've got a 16' aluminum open trailer and it's a tight fit for my C6Z. It would be possible to build a tire rack above the stone shield and put some cans under that but not enough for a two-day event, especially one rum by 10-tenths or Chin Motor Sports.

Then you get to the whole spare parts and tools thing....

For those reasons, I'm looking to move up to an enclosed trailer when a make the move to a motor home.

Jim
Old 03-23-2011, 09:21 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

A closed trailer also has the advantage of locking it up.

You get home late Sunday night, and your dog tired. You can just lock up the enclosed trailer and be fine. Put things away Monday after work

With an open deck you still need to unload and put things away.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:52 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Even my 01 Dodge with a Cummins now low powered compared to other diesels will run from any gasser up a hill. My 04 Excursion Power Stroke is much faster than my Dodge and the newest ones have to be real rockets.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:10 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vettehardt
Two years ago, my dad picked up an older ('92) 38' class A deisel pusher (8.6L cummings) for just over $20k. Cheapest tow vehicle you can get. Tows the 24' enclosed trailer just fine even without a brake controller. It does need a little more grunt to get up hills, but we are thinking of putting a bigger turbo on it. There are good deals out there, especially in Florida (where my dad bought his) and Arizona.

Dad has actually found with an enclosed trailer behind the motor home, he gets better mileage than with out the trailer. He also gets better mileage with the motor home than using the 01 Suburban to tow the enclosed trailer.
I've been seeing the A-Class diesels like this all over, I am just scared of the repair bills that might come with an older rig light that. What has he been experiencing for service/repairs?

You cannot discount how nice it is to have one of these trackside. Especially for your spouse/children if you have them. On a hot day, it's a nice place to cool off before your race. Even take a shower in between qually and the race if you want. Watch some in car video on the TV inside - it's a nice life.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:34 PM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I converted a well used Freightliner Century series into an RV.

Last edited by MJM; 03-23-2011 at 04:01 PM. Reason: edited because CF won't let me show photos even from my own CF photo album
Old 03-23-2011, 05:36 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MJM

More details please. What did you start with and what did it take to make it into the picture? Do you have any pictures of the conversion process? Was it a pain to get it registered?

Thanks
Ken
Old 03-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Great thread and have been wondering about this myself. Mainly because I'd like to upgrade to an enclosed trailor and that has me wondering. So far I keep coming back to Jersey's way of thinking that I'd have to do a lot of track days to pay for a mobile home of some sort.

I figure that a 40' toy hauler is out of the question simply because I would never get it down my road and in my driveway. ALso, it's only going to be good for track days and too big for camping.

I already have a 3500 dually Duramax that I bought originally to tow with but we've liked it so much it's become our family trip vehicle.

Now, I'm thinking of looking at some of the high-end in bed campers. They look pretty nice and that way I could go camping with the family without having to haul a huge trailer. http://www.lancecamper.com/truck-cam...181/index.html. Also that means one less vehicle to insure, park, and pay taxes on.

Then get a nice light enclosed trailer to pull with the car. Something like the BRE Aerovault. I have to admit that being able to keep the car out of sight is really nice - particularly if you want to stop and sleep at a truck stop or rest area on a long trip.

The nice thing with this plan is I can do it in two phases.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:47 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
8 events hotel for 800-1200. You couldn't pay the insurance on a rig.
Good point. I simply have 3/4 ton duramax and open al. trailer. Seems to work fairly well.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:51 PM
MJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bb69
More details please. What did you start with and what did it take to make it into the picture? Do you have any pictures of the conversion process? Was it a pain to get it registered?

Thanks
Ken
Started with a Freightliner 100 series with a Detroit Diesel engine and 600,000 miles. Had a guy pull the sleeper cab off, lengthen the frame, remove the second rear axle, then build the box with all the normal RV stuff. New title as an RV means I don't need a special license to drive it.

It's basically a big RV that can actually tow a heavy load up mountains without overheating and down the other side without melting the brakes.

And I have a bad *** air horn.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:00 PM
gtb75
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow - guess I'm not the only guy with the same idea here
  • 1991Z07: Sounds like you've got some experience driving diesel pushers (I'll just call them DP's from now on)... My question is how the heck do you learn to drive/maneuver one of those things? Are there places that offer lessons? Driving a 34'-38' DP seems intimidating by itself - add a 20'-24' trailer and you have something 60' long! How do you go from just driving a car to driving a rig like that? As an HPDE instructor, I know for a fact that just because somebody owns a certain type of vehicle doesn't mean they have the skills to drive it properly
  • jlutherva: Glad you've found it helpful - I know I have thanks to everybody who has replied so far! I'm still on pump gas and expect I probably will be for the foreseeable future... I don't mind a trip to the local station, but I can definitely see the benefit of not having to worry about going somewhere during the day.
  • AU N EGL: That's also a great point - and part of why I was looking at a trailer in the first place. Get it ready at home, run it, then throw it on the trailer and deal with at my leisure (rather than rush rush after the event). I guess a benefit of an enclosed trailer is I can leave all of the track stuff in there rather than having to pack it up every time.
  • MJM: That's a sweet rig! It's all pretty flat for the places I go, so I'd guess a DP would be sufficient for my needs. That being said, I have no doubt that yours would tow better
  • Poor-sha: That BRE trailer is very cool, but also big money! If you want a less costly aluminum option, I found these guys in another thread here: http://www.prolineproductsllc.com/ca...ailer%20LB.htm

If I already had a pickup / tow vehicle, I'd definitely just get a trailer and stay in hotels. That being said, since I need the tow vehicle anyway (and really wouldn't use it for anything else), the idea of a RV to pull the trailer sure sounds nice
Old 03-23-2011, 09:24 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MJM
Started with a Freightliner 100 series with a Detroit Diesel engine and 600,000 miles. Had a guy pull the sleeper cab off, lengthen the frame, remove the second rear axle, then build the box with all the normal RV stuff. New title as an RV means I don't need a special license to drive it.

It's basically a big RV that can actually tow a heavy load up mountains without overheating and down the other side without melting the brakes.

And I have a bad *** air horn.
Awesome setup Matt. They should make rigs like this for people who want to tow. I would love to have a nice class C motorhome with a cummins diesel or duramax in it.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:28 PM
MJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by gtb75
Wow - guess I'm not the only guy with the same idea here
[LIST]
[*]MJM: That's a sweet rig! It's all pretty flat for the places I go, so I'd guess a DP would be sufficient for my needs. That being said, I have no doubt that yours would tow better

If I already had a pickup / tow vehicle, I'd definitely just get a trailer and stay in hotels. That being said, since I need the tow vehicle anyway (and really wouldn't use it for anything else), the idea of a RV to pull the trailer sure sounds nice
Just be sure to get the facts about the RV's actual weight and the max weight recommended in the RV and towed.

I did that research and found out most salesman don't know **** and most commercial RV's are almost overweight when you drive them off the lot. Once you load your stuff in them there isn't much left for towing.

Have fun,
Matt
Old 03-23-2011, 09:47 PM
Joseesp
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Through the years I tried many different set-ups, including SUVs, gas and diesel pick-ups and now a 40' Class-A diesel pusher Tiffin Phaeton RV, 22' open trailer with water tight removable windows on my race car and space in the front for a motorcycle just in case I feel like going into town. I wouldn't trade the comfort of having my "apartment" at the track for any nearby 5-star hotel, or the ease of loading and unloading the car onto an open trailer. Specially now that I've gotten a little wider around the middle.

FYI, the RV is amazingly easy to drive, no special training or license, and incredibly comfortable. I can easily drive to any track non-stop.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:50 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks
Ken
Showhauler builds those kind of rigs. I have no idea what the price is, but they are nice.

They ALSO have one called the "Garage Coach", and it has it ALL. No trailer required.

Photo Gallery Here Floor Plans Here

This one has a stacker lift in it

Lift gate on this one:

As you can see, the sky IS the limit on these things.

I found the list price sheet on them...

VERY nice rigs...it looks like you can be in one for about 1/2 of what our Eagle cost (maybe less, could be about 1/3) and have a 2-car garage as well. Hmmm...

Last edited by 1991Z07; 03-23-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:24 PM
GS023
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default tow rig

I did something similar to your option 2. I bought a used 28' enclosed toy hauler made for ATV or scooter's but I made it work. Had to mod ramp to accept lower car. Also raised side mounted fold up beds so I could sleep with the car in the trailer. Mounted RV gen on the tongue. Fully self contained. Theres not a lot of room but it does the trick.I pull with a 2010 3/4 Dodge diesel. I can get some pics if interested.

Last edited by GS023; 03-23-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Trying to figure out the tow rig issue - but also want living quarters

Old 03-23-2011, 11:55 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my trailer the door ends up being right over the axles, so the wheelwell is in the way. If you move the door further forward, you have the car WAY too far into the trailer. Move it backward and the tail of the car is hanging out of the trailer.

Ken
Sound like you need to build a ramp in the trailer...... see below

This is a 26' and wish I had went with a 28'
Old 03-24-2011, 10:12 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MJM

That's one of the coolest things I've seen.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:32 AM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman57
Sound like you need to build a ramp in the trailer...... see below

This is a 26' and wish I had went with a 28'
For my car it's not an issue (tube frame car without body), but the ramps are nice. You could probably build them a little higher and then be able to store tires under the car.

Ken

Quick Reply: Trying to figure out the tow rig issue - but also want living quarters