Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PS issues on 89 C4

Old 04-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Daniel_Mc
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Default PS issues on 89 C4

Ok, at this point I'm done with it I am so sick and tired of screwing with this POS that I could just burn it to the ground and not feel bad about it at all! I have changed the Power steering line at LEAST 8 times since October. It blew the stock mid-America replacements at about 80 bucks a pop and so I had a custom line made out of the ends of a stocker. Now it just pours fluid out where the line is attached to the pump. Therefore I changed the "O" rings.... Still does it. Ok, I used the wrong size maybe... Nope, changed it again and have the same results. WTF is the deal here? I am sick and tired of this. The car is a 89 with the Z51 rack and a turn one PS pump.*

Thanks,*

Daniel*
Old 04-11-2011, 12:56 AM
Rag Top
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you have too much pressure. I don't have a lot of experience with PS issues (a line failed once, and it stayed fixed), but it sounds like your system is just finding the weakest link due to too much pressure. Try a stock pump? Are you running stock pulleys?

Hopefully someone here with more experience will chime in.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:52 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 130 Posts

I had a lot of problems with my PS hose. I switched to the -AN hose from DRM and haven't had a problem since. Call Randy and have him make you one. They're pretty reasonably priced as I recall. The Turn One pump works fine with the DRM hose.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:04 AM
SDF
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree with the comment about the DRM hose! Works fine with a "Turn One" pump.......
Old 04-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Daniel_Mc
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. The pump has different guts in it from Turn One this turns the pressure way down and the car still has the stock pulleys so I do not thinking it is a pressure issue. I will grab a picture tonight of the leak. DRM built most of the car (motor, suspension, brakes, roll bar back in 2007) and I was told the PS line they offer will not fit my car... The line I am running now shouldn't bust it is a 2200 psi hydraulic line mated to the stock ends. It is now the ends that are leaking just at the pump.

Daniel
Old 04-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Daniel_Mc
Burning Brakes

Here is a picture I snapped last night. Any thoughts? the car is at idle when this was taken.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:29 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Im thinking its the Turn One Pump fitting. Is the pump fitting a type and size to be used with the stock fitting? I use the stock pump and dont know, but I would call Turn One to confirm.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Daniel_Mc
Burning Brakes

Hey Mike,

It’s the stock fitting on the pump as far as I can tell the stock hose fits it perfectly (or did). I thought that the pump could have damage or something somewhere so I took it off inspected all of the threads and mating surfaces and it all looks good. I know a stock replacement hose should work but it will just bust again. I will pull the pump back off and recheck everything again just to make sure and take some pictures. I'll contact Randy at DRM and see just what they did to the pump also.

Daniel
Old 04-12-2011, 02:05 PM
SDF
Burning Brakes

Is that elbow in any kind of a "bind" that is not allowing the flare to seat properly? I have run into that with brake lines before!
Old 04-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 367 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by SDF
Is that elbow in any kind of a "bind" that is not allowing the flare to seat properly? I have run into that with brake lines before!
Looks like that or debris/damage on the flare seating.

Where'd you get green PS fluid?
Old 04-12-2011, 02:32 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

For reference, I recently replaced my rack with a 1989 Z51 rack using a 1990 supply hose and a 1989 return hose. All parts from Auto Zone. It was a royal pain because of the LT5 engine. You have a massive amount of room in there based on your pic, so dont feel too bad. I had to cut my fittings off the rack and my wrench goes through the pump pulley to get at the pump fitting.

In case your judgment has gotten clouded, the tube should be pulled back on the nut and no tension on the fitting as you start and tighten the nut.

Good luck next round.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:53 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SDF
That's what it looks like to me also

Randy
Old 04-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Daniel_Mc
Burning Brakes

Aardwolf
Looks like that or debris/damage on the flare seating.

Where'd you get green PS fluid?
I'll find out tonight; I am going to take it all back down again, snap some pictures change the "O" rings and give everything a really good visual (again).

A friend with the Viper club had a few cases of it and he gave me a case, it is Lucas PS fluid. Supposedly a higher boiling temp yada yada but it was a “ok” name and was free so I was using it. I am down to a bottle or two at this point.

For reference, I recently replaced my rack with a 1989 Z51 rack using a 1990 supply hose and a 1989 return hose. All parts from Auto Zone. It was a royal pain because of the LT5 engine. You have a massive amount of room in there based on your pic, so don’t feel too bad. I had to cut my fittings off the rack and my wrench goes through the pump pulley to get at the pump fitting.

In case your judgment has gotten clouded, the tube should be pulled back on the nut and no tension on the fitting as you start and tighten the nut.

Good luck next round.
Thanks Mike, I start everything by hand and take it as far as I can before I put a wrench on it. I did not notice any bind but obviously something is causing this. The rack swap in the ZR-1 doesn't sound "fun" at all

That's what it looks like to me also

Randy
Well you beat me to it LOL I was about to drop you an email asking your opinion on this. Thanks Randy.

Daniel

Get notified of new replies

To PS issues on 89 C4

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PS issues on 89 C4