Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Student's car on fire! - More safety lessons learned.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:13 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Student's car on fire! - More safety lessons learned.

This is the second (and hopefully last) installment of my "Safety Lessons Learned at the Track".

As a refresher the first installment concerned student hitting Jersey barrier at 100+ after spinning out in very recently dumped coolant.

This second lesson originates from student's car (older WRX STI) catching fire last Saturday.

The cause was a heat damaged oil supply line leading to external oil cooler. It failed and coated track and exhaust manifold with copious amounts of oil. The first clue was a big slide in T5A (fortunately a slow corner) and smoke. Student missed my instruction to stop near T5 corner station but he didn't miss my "GET OFF THE TRACK OVER THERE NOW" and a vigorus point to the base of T6 corner station.

I had him paused exiting car for just a moment to make sure we wouldn't get run over by a following car. Instructed him to open the hood as I went for the fire extinguisher only 10-15 feet away. Pulled the pin and got back to the car just as he popped open the hood. Flames and black smoke shot out, fortunately only on one side. Shooting from above and below slowed down the fire considerably before emptying the extinguisher. Time seemed to stop waiting for the safety truck but they arrived in time to completely kill the fire.

Things to think about when there is a fire:

1) If you have time get off track and drive quickly to nearest corner station. Unless the car is engulfed in flames make sure it is safe before jumping out of car.

2) Be ready to abandon the fire if it is burning vigorously or near fuel tank. Fortunately I had on all my racing gear except for the balaclava. I forgot to flip down my visor.

3) Be careful of smoke and extinguisher material. I was careless and got one big snort of smoke and halon. Smoke is bad, halon can be worse as it can settle in the bottom of your lungs. Amazingly there had been a car fire the day before that sent the driver to the hospital for smoke/halon issues. I had at least 20 people warn me about the halon.

4) If track is safe and distances are not to great immediately send someone to adjoining corner stations for more fire fighting equipment. You never know how long it will take for the safety truck to arrive.

I'm also a scuba diver so I know the benefits of breathing oxygen early and often. When I felt dizzy back in the paddoc went to the first aid truck for oxygen, check-up and 2-1/2 bottles of water (hydration is also critical). After a good lunch I felt fine and returned to driving/instructing.

I am one of the few that wears nomex everything: three layer driving suit, sox, shoes, gloves. I always wear full face helmet on the track, open face only for skills days. I think I will continue the dress code.

Maybe I should take up knitting...

Dean
Old 06-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Don't bring that luck to VIR!

See you soon buddy!

All good points! It happens fast dosen't it.

Jim
Old 06-13-2011, 09:37 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

^^^lol.

I wear carbon x from ankle to top of head.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Glad you guys are OK!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:49 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Whoa, glad to hear you're ok. Yeah, that Halon is nasty stuff. Safety lesson noted!
Old 06-14-2011, 01:34 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I worry about fire more than anything involved in this hobby.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:40 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the halon warning.
Full FIA suit, nomex undies, socks, shoes and gloves every time I go on the track.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:50 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW!!!

I'm really glad you were both okay!

BTW, Thanks for the pointers last week!

Old 06-15-2011, 02:12 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

glad your are ok dean!
Old 06-15-2011, 02:24 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Think about FE-36 material from DuPont. Halon is toxic. AFEE is a liquid which will screw up your electronics - maybe. NOVEC from 3M is the new kid on the block. It's stored as a liquid and dispersed as a gas. SPA just loves the stuff.

NASCAR requires a separate bottle for your fuel cell/tank. People are using any wheres from 4 to 8 nozzles. A basic system is right around $500. It goes up above $1,000 if you're serious.

Talk to the Fire Bottle folks. They're nice people and they sell the FE-36

btw - Have you tried to see how fast you can get out of your car with a helmet and HANS device on? Practice it.

Richard Newton
Old 06-16-2011, 10:48 AM
cire96
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026

btw - Have you tried to see how fast you can get out of your car with a helmet and HANS device on? Practice it.
Add one point...do it a lot and do it with your eyes closed. Remember in a fire, there's a good chance you won't be able to see much. And drill in the order of escape. For me it's: 1) steering wheel off, 2) window net down, 3) belts released, 4) door open, 5) get out!
Cire

Get notified of new replies

To Student's car on fire! - More safety lessons learned.

Quick Reply: Student's car on fire! - More safety lessons learned.