Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are 2005 C6 rear diffs a problem here also?

Old 06-14-2011, 08:18 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Default Are 2005 C6 rear diffs a problem here also?

Ran a quick search and couldn't find any useful info...

Most will agree that the 2005 rear diff is weaker than the 06+ and C5Z rear diff beacuse it is single rib vs. the 3 rib design. Most guys who drag race highly recommend replacing the 05 diff before it's too late because it will bend the tranny output shaft when it goes, costing significantly more $$$ to fix.

Do the seasoned autocross and road racers have the same issues with the 05 diff? I plan on putting my car on the track for the first time later this year and want to make sure the car is built properly first. Anybody have any success stories or warnings? I'm currently putting about 475 rwhp down and have an LS7 clutch waiting to go in along with SS brake lines. Car already has H/C/I and full bolt ons.

Advice?

Thanks,
Sean
Old 06-15-2011, 06:31 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Maybe I'm asking the question the wrong way so here's another try...

Many guys running a stock 2005 rear end lose them at the drag strip because of the different desing (1 rib vs. 3 rib). Replacement options are a 2006+ rear with adpter plate or a C5Z with modified mounting point.

My question to you - does anybody in the road race / autocross world have problems with their stock 2005 rear differential? If so, please give detials.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 06-15-2011, 08:01 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 708 Likes on 489 Posts

road racing is not hard on diffs like drag racing......I've never seen a post regarding the 05' being a particular problem.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:36 PM
vetsvett
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by taken19
Maybe I'm asking the question the wrong way so here's another try...

Many guys running a stock 2005 rear end lose them at the drag strip because of the different desing (1 rib vs. 3 rib). Replacement options are a 2006+ rear with adpter plate or a C5Z with modified mounting point.

My question to you - does anybody in the road race / autocross world have problems with their stock 2005 rear differential? If so, please give detials.

Thanks,
Sean
I haven't had any problem with the diff in my 05 auto X'ing or road course.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:25 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Thanks for the answers. I figured that road racing would be a bit kinder to the rear diff since there are no hard launche - I just wanted the peace of mind. I'm dropping the driveline for an LS7 clutch install soon and was going to coordinate all upgrades at the same time. Looks like you guys are helping me save $$$.

Anybody else have success with the 2005 rear diff on a road course?
Old 06-16-2011, 10:39 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

You might want to ask JMB92 - he's looking for diff parts for his 05 before the June Sprints. John Buttermore has probably the fastest 05 road race car around. He stepped up to an LS3 this year in his T1 car and has had diff issues this year.
I've seen 2 C5 diff cases crack at the track and we had a ring and pinion fail as well. So I wouldn't say road racing is that easy on the diff.

Since you are installing a LS7 it may not be such a bad idea to upgrade the rest of the driveline as well. I mean the driveline that you have in the car now wasn't designed for that much grunt. You already have the C6 cradle so doing the C6Z tranny and diff wound't be a bad idea, or you could just pull what you have and have those beefed up. When we went LS7 in our C5 we had RPM go through the tranny and DTE build us up a diff with a Quaife and all the trimmings. 2 years and no issues - we also have coolers on both.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:11 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
You might want to ask JMB92 - he's looking for diff parts for his 05 before the June Sprints. John Buttermore has probably the fastest 05 road race car around. He stepped up to an LS3 this year in his T1 car and has had diff issues this year.
I've seen 2 C5 diff cases crack at the track and we had a ring and pinion fail as well. So I wouldn't say road racing is that easy on the diff.

Since you are installing a LS7 it may not be such a bad idea to upgrade the rest of the driveline as well. I mean the driveline that you have in the car now wasn't designed for that much grunt. You already have the C6 cradle so doing the C6Z tranny and diff wound't be a bad idea, or you could just pull what you have and have those beefed up. When we went LS7 in our C5 we had RPM go through the tranny and DTE build us up a diff with a Quaife and all the trimmings. 2 years and no issues - we also have coolers on both.
Thanks for the advice. I'm only putting in an LS7 clutch, not block. Currently my LS2 is putting out 470-475 rwhp and 425-430 tq, so it matches the LS7's output pretty well.

Since I'm just getting to road racing (haven't been on the track yet), I'm not ready to drop that kind of money for a complete race build. I figured I would prep the car and myself over the next couple months before going out on the course. I hear the first few events can be quite humbling. BTW, I still want the car to be a good weekend cruiser (at least for now)...

If the 2005 rear diff failures are seldom in the road course scene, maybe I will hold off. I don't plan to do much drag racing, and it appears that the clutch dump at 4000+ or the 1-2 shift at 6800 rpm is the primary reason for the diff failures there.

Anybody else???
Old 06-16-2011, 06:55 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

No problems with my c5z, drag is magnitudes harder on driveline. Built cars will be quite different between rr & drag.

Get notified of new replies

To Are 2005 C6 rear diffs a problem here also?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are 2005 C6 rear diffs a problem here also?