Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 piece rotors - floating vs fixed

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 01:41 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 2 piece rotors - floating vs fixed

DRM and Wilwood, among others, sell fixed 2 piece setups, so I assume some thought went into those setups. On paper, a floating setup seems like the obvious choice.
Anyone tried them out and noticed a difference in terms of longevity? I understand that some floating setups are noisy, which is not a concern if they have a longer life. I realize there a many variables that determine rotor life and it will likely be impossible to get a definitive answer.

I am finally seriously considering going to a 2 piece setup once I burn through my rapidly decreasing inventory of 1 piecers.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:30 AM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

floating is better.

Find a floating 2 piecer that has the rotor ring in the size you want and then you can stock up on that pretty easily.

You'll crack your rotor into oblivion before durability differences arise on each rotor surface; at least in my opinion.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:57 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Floating is nice as long as the float. Driving on the street they could pick up dirt and stop floating.

Get notified of new replies

To 2 piece rotors - floating vs fixed

Quick Reply: 2 piece rotors - floating vs fixed