Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Observations on DTC 70 vs PFC 01 rotor abuse

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 01:50 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Observations on DTC 70 vs PFC 01 rotor abuse

I have been using DTC 70s a bit this year (btw, too much for 275 R6s if you don't have abs) and noticed they do a number to the face of the rotor. The rotors look like crap - the surface appears to be peeling off. Why does this happen? Disc life seems about the same as always compared to pads that produced a much better looking rotor (CL RC6 and 6e pads), but hard to tell due to too many variables.

I switched to PFC 01s and now the rotors are super shiny, with no peeling. Haven't gotten run enough sessions to see if this actually affects disc life, though did manage to get some heat checks after one session on seasoned rotors.

Does the rotor surface condition have an measurable effect on braking/rotor life? Is it something I should worry about?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:59 AM
TS Motorsport
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DTC70's abuse rotors, that's a fact. After 1 event, I noticed spider cracks on my front powerslots. The DTC70 compound is aggressive and there's no way around this.

You can go with a less aggressive pad compound such as carbotech which are rotor friendly. Plus, DTC70's run very hot. That's why you see the peeling of the rotor face.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Miraculix
Instructor

Are you running on stock rotors?

I am just about to order a StopTech BBK with DTC70 front DTC60 rear and I don't want the pads to wear out the floating rotors all at once because let's face it, they don't come cheap.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:06 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, still on stock discs for the time being. If you want chrome discs, go with the PFCs.
I imagine the StopTechs will hold up better than the stockers to a harsher pad.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:07 PM
jawfixer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Miraculix
Are you running on stock rotors?

I am just about to order a StopTech BBK with DTC70 front DTC60 rear and I don't want the pads to wear out the floating rotors all at once because let's face it, they don't come cheap.
I have that set up and havent changed front rotors and am on 3rd set of pads--Stoptech rotors are fine and the performance is well worth the money
Old 06-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Miraculix
Instructor

This is really good news, thanks guys

Get notified of new replies

To Observations on DTC 70 vs PFC 01 rotor abuse

Quick Reply: Observations on DTC 70 vs PFC 01 rotor abuse