Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It never fv*king ends!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Default It never fv*king ends!

We all know the energy, money, time, and angst our race cars suck out of us. It seems to be never ending, right?

Now it's migrated to the tow vehicle!

After loading up and driving back form Road Atlanta Sunday evening, I parked everything in the driveway and went in the house. Had a cold beer or 3, said hey to the wife and dog, and just sat there for a few minutes. Then I took a shower and went to bed.

Got up Monday morning, wiped the sleep boogers out of my eyes, took another shower and got dressed for work.

Said hey to the grandkids because my wife is watching them this week until they go on vacations with their parents next week.

Went outside, climbed into the much vaunted Duramax (with Allison Transmission) and, lo and behold, the son of a bithc will not turnover. Just a bunch of clicks!

Pissed off I went back in the house. The grandkids thought it was funny.

I got the wife's car and went on in to work. Got home Monday evening and put the battery charger on the battery, and half an hour later it started right up.

Got back into the Obamamobile this morning, and "Click, Click!"! Again, the grandkids laughed, but I was prepared. I put the battery charger on it, and half an hour later, it started right up.

So off I go to work but stopped by the locally owned auto shop. They tested the batteries and found one bad, and the other marginal. $208 later I was out of there.

On the way to the office, the "Change Oil" alarm came on.

I went to the GMC dealer, and had them change the oil. While in there they took out the air cleaner and it was full of all kinds of stuff, so I had them change it.

$146 later I arrive at the office.

So, after spending $354, my race car is no faster, and I still have to unload that and spend money on prepping that thing.

Damn, I'd be rich if I didn't have this as a hobby!
Old 06-21-2011, 04:57 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
Too damn true....
Old 06-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I blew a trailer tire each day on this last trip. The best part was changing it in 106 degree temps outside Okla. City. (Thanks again for the help Mike, finding someone who had a tire and who was still open...., and for your help the next day doing it all over again, when the 2nd trailer tire blew.....)

Old 06-21-2011, 05:19 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

How can a sport that can suck so bad, be so fun
Old 06-21-2011, 05:59 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

and you would be hanging out at the bait shop with locals or at home with the wife.

Hmmmm
Old 06-21-2011, 06:13 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by WNeal
Truer words have never been spoken!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:32 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

My car has been running so good lately I have been reluctant to go to the track - just enjoying it as a dd. That being said, I signed up this today for next Fri at Rd Atl and Aug at Lowes. The need for speed is too great. I have dropped 60 lbs from the rear. Switched Bassani catback for Borla straight pipes(-35 lbs), removed JBL sub(-9lbs), and sub box(-14lbs). R888s are worn out so just going to use my BFGs next week. I have no records to set, so just going to have some fun. 6 straight track days with no issues, so something is bound to happen. When it is bad it is bad, but when it is not bad, it is pretty good.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:50 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So, after spending $354, my race car is no faster, and I still have to unload that and spend money on prepping that thing.

Dry your eyes Jody, that's the cheapest racing related story I have ever heard!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Z06_505
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From pain will come pleasure.....
Old 06-22-2011, 02:22 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

that is for damn sure i will join this **** and moan post as well!
Old 06-22-2011, 06:22 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

It never fv*king ends!
I came home this weekend with a laundry list of things I need to change/fix on my car.

Haven't found the right time to tell the sponsor about them all.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:37 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tow vehicles take maintenance. Better to get stuck on track vs. both vehicles on the road. How old was the battery? You may be better off getting both new. How often is the air cleaner supposed to be change on a D-Max? My Dodge diesel is 15,000 and my Excursion is 30,000. Way cheaper to dump my Dodge filter twice than the Ford once.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:55 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,751 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

It sucks! I had to delay my race car build this year because both my car and my wifes needed maintenance at the same time. Oh well, there's always next year I guess...
Old 06-22-2011, 09:33 AM
FredSM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hurried home from work yesterday to get my car hauler off the cul de sac and to its trailer park home after an SCCA outting this past weekend, and the blamed truck wouldn't start (Sierra HD/TD)! Air in the fuel lines (it was WELL into triple digits here yesterday). Nothing a few pumps on the filter wouldn't fix, but not before a frantic call to a service rep. No, it never ends. How do you get off this train?!

FM
Old 06-22-2011, 09:38 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give it a decade....after countless track days, broken knuckles, failures in your first session, tens of thousands of dollars, countless hours wrenching, just to drive on the same old tracks you have been on a thousand times and your lap times haven't changed in a few years.

At this point, I'd rather spend time with the family and go get beer somewhere, or take a vacation on some Island with the money than drive around Watkins Glen for the 1 million'th time.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Feffman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

We had the engine rebuilt over the Winter. Engine was shipped to the builder in early January. It was supposed to be done in 4 weeks. It showed up four days before our first event in April with no time to install.

Got it installed and running for second event. It died after four laps and we worked in the pits to no avail. Got it home to repair the intermitten electrical problem. HOPEFULLY problem solved, but won't know until next event in August.

What sucks is there's really no way to "test" repairs other then at the track precluding a long drive. It's like a bad drug habit.

Feff
Old 06-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Yellow95
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds to me like it didn't have a problem with the racing, it just didn't want to go to work. Smart truck.

Get notified of new replies

To It never fv*king ends!

Old 06-22-2011, 05:21 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
I blew a trailer tire each day on this last trip. The best part was changing it in 106 degree temps outside Okla. City. (Thanks again for the help Mike, finding someone who had a tire and who was still open...., and for your help the next day doing it all over again, when the 2nd trailer tire blew.....)

on top of everything I went through this weekend, I did this too. 1 on the way to a race, and another on the way home from it and then again when the motor prior to this recent one let go, lost another trailer tire trying to get home from that race. Before going to RA (for 1 F-ing day ), i replaced all of the dually tires and all the rest of the trailer tires.

it's been a lovely year...
Old 06-24-2011, 10:11 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I hadn't clicked on this thread. See, I just bought a track car (got a screamin' deal) and I know it's not a cheap hobby but damn, I hope you guys are just going through a little bad juju and everyone makes a great turn around next session.

Jay
Old 06-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow95
Sounds to me like it didn't have a problem with the racing, it just didn't want to go to work. Smart truck.
Yep, you might be on to something there. I never thought of that.

Quick Reply: It never fv*king ends!