Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skip Barber at Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Thrillhouse
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Skip Barber at Laguna Seca

I've always wanted to drive Laguna Seca. It's on my list of "Must Drive" tracks along with places like the 'ring and VIR. I've been thinking about doing one of the Skip Barber courses there as a bit of a birthday present to myself this summer.

I've been wanting to do a bit of a road trip in my Vette ever since I got it a year and a half ago and I think this might be the time to do it. I've been thinking about driving down from Washington, cutting over to the coast in southern Oregon then taking 101 down across Golden Gate to Laguna Seca.

I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts or comments on the Skip Barber courses. I have a bit of track experience, I've done a few HPDE's at Pacific Raceways(not in the Vette though) and I've been autocrossing for 8 years. I'm leaning towards the Formula Car school since I think that would be more unique and memorable, though I'm not opposed to the standard HPDE school either(with M3s, IS-Fs, various Porsches). As of right now I think I'd probably stick with the one day school of whatever I choose for both scheduling and cost reasons. Any suggestions on one course or the other?

How about lodging, any suggestions on decent Hotels/Motels near the track with reasonably safe parking for a Vette?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:14 PM
pewterhdtop
Burning Brakes

I have taken both the 3 day racing school and the 2 day advanced school at Laguna Seca with Skip Barber in the MX5 Cup cars. If HPDE is your plan forward, I would suggest either the HPDE school or the MX5 Cup as they are both much closer than the formula cars to what you will be doing after the class. The instruction was excellent and the program is well suited for those with some track experience to those with lots of track experience. As to where to stay, I stay in my Motorhome at the campground, so can't help much there.

You will find that Laguna is a very interesting track and fun to drive!
Old 06-21-2011, 11:49 PM
FredSM
Drifting

Just got back from the SFSCCA regionals there this past weekend. Super venue for sure. I've not done Skip Barber, but can tell you there are tons of reasonable hotels in Salinas if you don't mind a 20-minute drive to the track. Monterey is closer, but pricier.

http://travel.ian.com/hotel/searchre...5D2&cid=254243

Another alternative in the area is Jim Russell at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma. I have driven their FJR-50's a time or two and can vouch for their quality of instruction.

http://www.jimrussellusa.com/

Both venues are world class. You'll have a ball.

FM
Old 06-22-2011, 08:31 PM
MJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Thrillhouse

I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts or comments on the Skip Barber courses. I have a bit of track experience, I've done a few HPDE's at Pacific Raceways(not in the Vette though) and I've been autocrossing for 8 years. I'm leaning towards the Formula Car school since I think that would be more unique and memorable, though I'm not opposed to the standard HPDE school either(with M3s, IS-Fs, various Porsches). As of right now I think I'd probably stick with the one day school of whatever I choose for both scheduling and cost reasons. Any suggestions on one course or the other?
I attended the Skip Barber 3 day formula car course at VIR years ago and would highly recommend it.

Having said that, if you only take the 1 day course you might leave disappointed.

The 1st day of the 3 day course was drills only, we didn't really start lapping until the end of the 2nd day.

The 3 day course is definitely worth it, especially if it still qualifies as an SCCA school.

Just something to think about.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:16 PM
pewterhdtop
Burning Brakes

The 3 day course qualifies for SCCA regional and adding the 2 day qualifies for SCCA national license along with a fee to Skip Barber. Agree, the first day in the MX5 cup cars was also drills with the second day being the first time full lapping occured.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Thrillhouse
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Right now I'm not looking to get my SCCA license. I'd like to eventually, but I'm really not in a position financially to seriously persue racing.

This is more about doing something memorable this summer and as an excuse to take the Vette on a trip. I would LOVE to do the 3 day course, but I just can't swing it right now. I think I'm probably going to do the one day formula school on August 1st. I can always go do the 3 day later when I've got the money, or do Jim Russell at Sears Point. I think even on the one day course I should get a decent number of laps on the main course in the formula car to make it memorable.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:43 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like a fun road trip . We have a bunch of guys heading to LS this weekend for our "corvette challenge" event. Here's a vid from the last SCCA event to get you psyched up for your visit (not me driving, just a guy on an email list I'm on):

http://vimeo.com/25437245
Old 06-24-2011, 12:08 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thrillhouse

How about lodging, any suggestions on decent Hotels/Motels near the track with reasonably safe parking for a Vette?

I've driven Laguna Seca several times. There is nothing like The Corkscrew. When you get it right, it's 'golden'. You can drive on all the berms there. (They were put in to satisfy the morcycle racers.) When going through the Corkscrew, you should drive over the berms on both sides.

Now to your last question... When I go to Laguna Seca, I always stay at the Laurel Inn in Salinas. It is as close to the track as any of the hotels in other towns, but the nightly rate is much more reasonable. The Laurel Inn is located just off the 101 freeway as you are coming in to Salinas. The Black Bear restaurant, right on the premises, has good food and lots of it at a great price. Call 831-449-2474 for Reservations and directions.

P.S. My avatar photo is me at the top of the Corkscrew.

Last edited by bobmoore2; 06-24-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:09 PM
damenh85
Advanced

I am from Monterey and have done the 3-day Skippy formula school at Laguna. It was an awesome time- I highly recommend the formula cars over the HPDE cars; nothing quite like an open wheel formula car imho!
Old 06-24-2011, 01:25 PM
drbenne
Instructor

I did the 3 day course with skip barber at Laguna and the Jim Russell at Sears Point both in formula cars years ago. I would recommend the formula cars as you really learn car balance, being smooth, and how driving the optimal line pays benefits. Jim Russell allowed more time doing full laps and started open passing by the 3rd day where Skip Barber did not. Both tracks are awesome.

Be careful, they can be much more expensive than the price of the course as they often lead to future racecar purchases and the racing "bug".

Old 06-25-2011, 02:46 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Some of the most fun I've had with my clothes on! I did SB at Laguna Seca about 6 years ago. Do it! We stayed in Monterey. Had a hard time finding a room as it was their big classic car weekend.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:02 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Warning: Skippy school is a gateway to an expensive habit with no cure.

Get notified of new replies

To Skip Barber at Laguna Seca

Quick Reply: Skip Barber at Laguna Seca