Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternate Quantum Brake Duct Install on C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 02:35 AM
Sgt.Gator
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Alternate Quantum Brake Duct Install on C6 Z06

Alternate Quantum Brake Duct Install on C6 Z06

The Quantum Motorsports brake duct kit is very nice. There was one part of the installation I didn't like, the connection from the stock Z06 plastic duct to the Quantum flexible duct hose. If you follow the standard directions you have to remove your stock Z06 ducts, cut the ends that face the rotors off, and “stitch” with zip ties the flexible hose to the stock duct. You have to do this because the hose is larger than the stock duct end so there's no way to just put a hose clamp on it to seal it. The standard method is to use the hose as a template and cut off the duct to the same size, then zip tie it on.

I didn't like this for two reasons:
1) You have to hack up the end of the stock duct. If you ever want to go back to stock you'll need to buy new ducts to look correct.
2) The zip tie stitch is not air tight. You are going to lose pressure around the connection. I want as much air as possible blowing on the brakes, not blowing around the duct to hose connection.
And a minor issue is you have to remove and re-install the stock duct, it would be nice to make the connection without doing that.

I ordered a variety of parts and came up with the following solution that I think is simple, looks good, and cheap. I discovered that a 2 1/2” silicon coupler perfectly fits OVER the stock Z06 duct, and fits INSIDE the Quantum flexible hose. Pics below.

Parts:
2.5" (63mm) 4-Ply Silicone Straight Connector (Coupler) Sold by: Turbo Fittings on Amazon.com; Quantity: 1
$5.50 each + $11.50 S&H. You only need one because you will cut it into two pieces.

78-101mm Hose Clamps, Quantity 2

Here's the stock duct:

This is the 2 ½ silicon coupler, on the left is one with tape wrapped around it to use as a guide to cut it in half, on the right is one that has has already been cut into two pieces.

The cut coupler test fit in the hose: Note the new Quantum high temp hoses are gray, not orange.

The coupler test fit on the Z06 duct:

Installed. Note I popped a small hole in the fabric of the hose behind the first metal ring and ran a zip tie from the hose to the bolt holding on the stock duct. I did this because the weakest link is the hose to plastic duct connection, it's possible to pull hard enough on the hose to pop it off the duct despite the hose clamp. The connection is not under much pressure since the other end of the hose is open only a foot away, but I was concerned vibration might cause it to work off. So the zip tie is there as a saftey wire, if the hose works off the duct it won't flop around in the wheel well:

Installed, with better pic of the safety zip tie.

Results: I did six 20 minute sessions at Oregon Raceway Park with no issues. The ducts stayed on tight and worked great!

Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 07-01-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Interesting. Where were you about 2 months ago? The instructions that came with my ducts earlier this year just indicated the hose should be zip tied to the duct and didn't mention cutting off the narrow end. I had seen pictures where people had used aluminum plates and tubing to modify the ducts and so there was a 3 inch outlet but couldn't come up with any other methods. I finally purchased the LG version of the ducts which have the 3 inch outlet.

Bill
Old 07-02-2011, 01:09 AM
Sgt.Gator
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Two months ago I was ordering reducers and couplers and such trying to figure it out!

As an update besides the track day I've also done 20 autocross runs and street driven it daily for two weeks, no signs of the hoses loosening at the ducts.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:13 PM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Why not just buy the modified Z06 inlets from Quantum?
Old 07-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by sallen619
Why not just buy the modified Z06 inlets from Quantum?
Because all they do is the same thing they tell you to do at home. This way of doing it is much cleaner and is cost efficient as well. Just wish he would have posted this before I spent the money for the LG ducts a couple of months ago.

The LG ducts may be a little better than modified stock ducts since the LGs have a 3 inch opening but they are pricier.

The new duct hose looks better than the older stuff. My hose is stiff and pulls on the ducts at both ends. This hose looks more flexible and able to take up and down and side to side movement with the wheel.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 07-02-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:31 AM
Sgt.Gator
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't know how the old orange ducts flexed, but here's a couple more images showing the flexibility of the new ones:

Old 07-03-2011, 11:55 AM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Do you think this is applicable to a C6? I know the inlet size is different, but I don't know the size. I'm going to order a duct kit soon...
Old 07-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks like an excellent approach to use with the quantum flex hose. But, I am not sure if it is robust enough to use with aircraft hose. I used a piece of aluminum pipe and welded it to some flat plate, and then sealed / riveted it to the stock duct (with the opening enlarged to match up to the larger duct).

Here are a couple of pictures.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:30 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zip tie method worked well for my installation. Still holds up after many track days. I have a regular bodied C6 so I had to remove the ducts / cut the plastic anyways.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Sgt.Gator
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sallen619
Do you think this is applicable to a C6? I know the inlet size is different, but I don't know the size. I'm going to order a duct kit soon...
I don't know anything about base C6 brake ducts, sorry. I'm sure other folks here do though..
Old 07-04-2011, 02:03 PM
gintama
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the normal C6 can use the same C6Z ducting. You will need to drill a hole for the duct in the side of the chassis.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:21 AM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gintama
Yes, the normal C6 can use the same C6Z ducting. You will need to drill a hole for the duct in the side of the chassis.
How about for a C5?
I already have DRM ducts installed and about to install the Quantum spindle duct kit.

DRM ducts have a 3.5" OD. Quantum spindle duct has a 3.0" OD.

Instead of mangling hose, I'm thinking about some kind of adapter, 3.5" ID on DRM side, 3.0" OD on hose side. Then buy 3.0" hose to run to the spindle.... Anyone done something like this?
Old 08-11-2011, 09:59 PM
jonnyc
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

the factory ducts are $10 each from the dealer.so if you modify the ones that came on the car it doesn't cost much to replace if needed.

fastening with zip ties seals it pretty good.i can't imaging you'll loose much air if any.i wrap mine with gorilla tape after zip ties just for added insurance.that tape sticks to anything.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:30 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkMastyr
Zip tie method worked well for my installation. Still holds up after many track days. I have a regular bodied C6 so I had to remove the ducts / cut the plastic anyways.

that won't force much through the vanes unless you have a backing plate.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Before this gets locked, I must point out that your tie rod boot is cracked DarkMastyr. I'll ASSume it's been fixed by now, but I replaced mine with poly then read they melt like candle wax so I wrapped them and crossed my fingers. They're also protected by the spindle duct heat shields. I bought a used spindle duct setup that was stitched and put it on my car as is and it seems to be doing its job. I will concede that it seems a bit ghetto, and that if it weren't already stitched I would have done something similar to the OP at the very least.

Those LBJs are nagging at me, I'll probably end up wrapping them before my next event too. I did this front and rear.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
that won't force much through the vanes unless you have a backing plate.
Wouldn't the vacuum created by the spinning vanes draw that air in and disperse it out through the cavities made by the vanes?
Old 02-01-2018, 11:49 AM
silverboost98
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Bringing this back up from the dead....how exactly did you fix the brake duct tubing near the rotor?
Old 02-01-2018, 09:02 PM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Spindle ducts. They affix to the spindle and have a fitting (typically 3") that the hose attaches to
Old 02-04-2018, 01:24 PM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Maher
Bringing this back up from the dead....how exactly did you fix the brake duct tubing near the rotor?
Worm gear hose clamp. I just redid my ducts this week.

I modified my Quantum ducts with a piece of 3.5” OD / 3.0” ID 1” tall Aluminum so that I have a good clamping surface for 3.5” duct on both sides.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternate Quantum Brake Duct Install on C6 Z06

Quick Reply: Alternate Quantum Brake Duct Install on C6 Z06