Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock shifter squeak/rub noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 05:39 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Stock shifter squeak/rub noise

I noticed this develop a week or two ago @ 40k miles on my 2004. Had an idea what it was.

The rubber closeout boot is a tight fit to the shifter, metal on rubber. It is also pretty thick & stiff.

I removed the console & radio trim plate & shot some white grease where shifter meets boot & not only did this quiet down the squeek, it also shifts a bit easier, there was some binding going on.

While you have this all apart do 2 things.

Where the radio trim (3 torx screws) meets the dash there are two spike looking locators that go into holes in the dash frame.

Wrap a few turns of aluminum tape on them before you put it back, it will close up that ugly gap at the edges of the panel by holding it in tighter, don't use elec tape or racer tape, it'll melt from heat eventually.

The other thing I did was add about 8 inches of wire to the two leads that go to the gas filler release button, just cut the 2 wires & splice in additional length with a couple of fully insulated quick disconnects (Radio Shack) so you have room to move the console & unplug those wires at the new quick disconnects.

The original design is stupid, the wire loom is too short and it's near impossible to curl your hand around and release the clip.

Hope this helps someone. Takes about an hour (and you don't need to remove the shift ****/demon key).

Quick Reply: Stock shifter squeak/rub noise