Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Engine - 08 Z06 with 33k Miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:05 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Default Blown Engine - 08 Z06 with 33k Miles

While driving Saturday in the country my 08 Z06 with 33k miles put a rod through the block on the passenger side.

I was in 2nd gear at about 4,000 rpm when I lost power. This was immediately followed by a loud band and it sounded like a machine gun under the car. Took a bit of effort to not crash it due to the rear tires being oiled. Lucky the car didn't burn due to the amount of oil on the exhaust manifold and exhaust system. Lots of aluminum chunks all over the place. I even picked up a piston pin circlip from the crossmember.

Not certain what failed but if I had to guess it sounded like it dropped a valve prior to the loud bang.

Engine is stock and has not been tuned. My dealer knows I've tracked the car.

Got it towed to the dealer who downloaded the engine mapping and transmitted it to GM in Michigan. Got a call yesterday from my service writer that GM approved a new engine under warranty. Said it should be here next week.

GM did not play any games or question my use of the car. I commend GM for standing behind their warranty. It's been a very stressful five days. Great relief when the service writer called and said authorization for warranty replacement granted.

Not sure if they're covering it under the 5 year 100K mile powertrain warranty or the extended warranty I bought two months ago. I bought the extended warranty two days before my original 3/36 expired. I've never bought an extended warranty as I firmly believe they're sucker bets. However, I've had a number of problems with this car. Also, I plan on keeping for two more years and will be able to sell with one year remaining on the warranty. Thought it would be a good selling point.

Rick

Last edited by rikhek; 07-07-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:58 PM
hemmerman
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Glad You're OK

Glad to hear you're OK. I like to read good reports about GM Warrenty issues. I'am a GM auto worker. Also, I own a 2006 C6ZO6. 64k. I've tracked the car since 06' It had 500mi on it at Putnam Park. 82 sec. My best time. NCCC event. The Key to my sucess and yours too, is NO MODS,and no changes to the computer. Let the folks at the dealership take care of that. I've been driving it to and from the tracks and several conventions. This year I thought it was time to buy a tow vehical and trailer. I hope to get many more track days. It has been a real joy of my life.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:40 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Rick, glad to hear it was covered and you are okay. Oil and tires don't mix.
Someone is looking over you!!
Old 07-08-2011, 06:58 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Rick

The top guy in Corvette & Cadillac Warranty division comes to are driving schools. So he knows what goes on and they wanted the LS7s and LS3s if they are kept stock to taken to the track and beaten on.

Then driven home.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by rikhek
Also, I plan on keeping for two more years and will be able to sell with one year remaining on the warranty. Thought it would be a good selling point.

Rick
I like your logic.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:13 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Got the car back today with the new motor.

Dealer had the car 9 work days. I thought it would take 4 weeks. I'm very impressed with the quick turnaround. Also very pleased with the way GM and the dealer handled the warranty claim.

In addition to the engine they replaced every component that contained oil (i.e., dry sump tank and lines, oil cooler and lines). They put a new intake on it and a new oil pan. They even replaced the air filter. The starter was broken from debris so a new one was installed. I had them put in a new clutch while they were in there. Flywheel was fine.

Good turnout to a bad event.

Rick

Last edited by rikhek; 07-16-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:08 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,403 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Rick

The top guy in Corvette & Cadillac Warranty division comes to are driving schools. So he knows what goes on and they wanted the LS7s and LS3s if they are kept stock to taken to the track and beaten on.

Then driven home.
And we've seen it first hand...

I remember an LS7 2 years ago at VIR blowing and GM replaced it under warranty since the car had never been tuned.... I was impressed..
Old 07-16-2011, 09:37 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Nice to hear a positive warranty experience instead of the usual noise the internet tends to provide! It does only make sense that so long as you haven't "tampered" they replace them, after all what would be the point of offering a high performance setup and then saying you're not allowed to use it that way? (GT-R launch control anyone?)

Glad to hear you got your car back so quickly, now go drive the heck out of it some more!
Old 07-16-2011, 10:06 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Glennm27
And we've seen it first hand...

I remember an LS7 2 years ago at VIR blowing and GM replaced it under warranty since the car had never been tuned.... I was impressed..
I have to say I'd be more impressed if no LS7s or LS3s blew up after track use in stock form. Hill said (I looked up the vid recently) that C6 was a car designed for you to go get good lap times and then drive during the week. The Corvette is supposed to be the best that America can produce.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:11 AM
stranded
Racer

Glad you made it out unscathed.

Did they mention if it was in fact a broken valve spring? Makes me think if I were to get a Z06, the first I should do is have the springs replaced.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:37 PM
SpedRacr93
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
I have to say I'd be more impressed if no LS7s or LS3s blew up after track use in stock form. Hill said (I looked up the vid recently) that C6 was a car designed for you to go get good lap times and then drive during the week. The Corvette is supposed to be the best that America can produce.
Yeah... you know, you never see expensive race motors let go during a race....

For every weekend warrior who breaks there's a thousand who drive home from the track.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:57 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I've modded my last two Vettes and I am keeping the most current one stock for this very reason. I want to be able to continue to track it with less fear of warranty coverage issues if something frags.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:25 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SpedRacr93
Yeah... you know, you never see expensive race motors let go during a race....

For every weekend warrior who breaks there's a thousand who drive home from the track.
I'm frankly amazed at the amount of track use these motors can withstand. This type of failure is rare and all I've heard is good things in terms of how GM handles when they do break.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by stranded
Glad you made it out unscathed.

Did they mention if it was in fact a broken valve spring? Makes me think if I were to get a Z06, the first I should do is have the springs replaced.
They usually are a stuck exhaust valve

Originally Posted by JimbeauZ06
I'm frankly amazed at the amount of track use these motors can withstand. This type of failure is rare and all I've heard is good things in terms of how GM handles when they do break.
rare if you are not one of the 40-50 that have had this happen
Old 07-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
They usually are a stuck exhaust valve

rare if you are not one of the 40-50 that have had this happen
I have 35 track days on mine. With an average of 100 miles per day that is about 3500 track miles at high revs. No matter how you figure it the engine is tough. I have tried to keep from running all the way to 7 grand all the time in an effort to take it easy on the engine but it just feels so good to let it pull.

Bill
Old 07-20-2011, 03:29 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is at ECS right now, it was puking out blue smoke like crazy (but it still ran, so that is good). I disagree that these LS7's withstand a lot of abuse. Mine had 25 track days and probably either has a bad ring or bad valvle guide.

My LS6 Z06 had 70+ track days and that had a 610 lift radical cam. 10 years later and 3 owners later, car still runs great.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:40 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
I think for the abuse given, the average Corvette holds up rather well IMO. Lets take one of Japans favorites, the Honda, we took a brand new Accord on track last year (100% stock form) and threw a rod in just a few laps. That car is an auto too, so no miss shifts etc. Problems can be found with every manufacturer, it's just that the Corvette is actually raced more then most.

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Mine is at ECS right now, it was puking out blue smoke like crazy (but it still ran, so that is good). I disagree that these LS7's withstand a lot of abuse. Mine had 25 track days and probably either has a bad ring or bad valvle guide.

My LS6 Z06 had 70+ track days and that had a 610 lift radical cam. 10 years later and 3 owners later, car still runs great.

You hurt the LS7 because your so fast, and the LS6 stayed together because we did the H/C job.

Get notified of new replies

To Blown Engine - 08 Z06 with 33k Miles

Old 07-20-2011, 05:00 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

time for a cam at ECS! Why waste a trip with no upgrade?

You hurt the LS7 because your so fast
time to be faster, no?
Old 07-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

White smoke on startup if valve guide??

-
Old 07-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I have 35 track days on mine. With an average of 100 miles per day that is about 3500 track miles at high revs. No matter how you figure it the engine is tough. I have tried to keep from running all the way to 7 grand all the time in an effort to take it easy on the engine but it just feels so good to let it pull.

Bill
Bill,

It's not about "tough" it's about parts...a friend of mine had his Z06 come off the line a day after mine. He does 2-3 times the track events I do and he has never had any issues (he has cam, headers, after market valve train, mines pretty much stock) I've lost one engine just cruising along on the highway and another on the track. Both had the same failure...like all the others: exhaust valve hits head, causes carnage.

Quick Reply: Blown Engine - 08 Z06 with 33k Miles