Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Know C5Z oiling system? Pls help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:58 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Know C5Z oiling system? Pls help.

I am chasing a oil leak, I thought it was front crank seal, then front engine cover gasket, then oil pan.

I put dye in & got to looking again today & (after weekend event) they dye is all over.

So it only happens at high rpm events, daily driving does not make it leak.

My question, is there PRESSURE at the oil drain plug? If yes, how much?

I did have an oil leak at the oil filter one time (one of those new eco friendly filters - which IMO are crap) and I put a WIX on and it sealed up fine.

I am thinking if there is pressure at the oil plug under high rpm maybe I should try a new plug before I tear the front of the engine off. There is a big drop right on it. It is torqued to spec, but is original.

But I really don't know the system, if it's atmospheric pressure only/gravity or does some pressure build up in there when I redline it. I was at an event (autox) that necessitated riding the rev limiter for quite a few secs yesterday & if there is pressure build up that would have done it.

Thanks if you know anything about this semi dry sump system.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:31 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Is this for a C6Z or a C5Z? C5Z is wet sump.
Where is the leak (i.e. where is "all over")?
Old 07-11-2011, 07:47 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Is this for a C6Z or a C5Z? C5Z is wet sump.
Where is the leak (i.e. where is "all over")?
Most call the LS6 a semi dry sump, but, not to dwell on that.

The dye is on both sides of the spring and back to the pan bottom.

I really just want to know specifically does the crank case area pressurize under high sustained rpm 2-3 sec on rev limiter? If so how much?

The dye spread too far to make a diagnosis of the leak source except that it is dry around the crank seal.

No leak at all under "normal" street driving. 300 miles.
Thanks.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Took three trips to my dealer to find the oil leak on my LS7. It only showed up when revs were above 5500. You say you have covered the front cover seal which is where mine was leaking. Some people reported they had similar high rpm leaks where the main bearing cross bolts go into the block so you may want to check them.

Bill
Old 07-11-2011, 07:58 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The main crossbolts are tty, so you need to replace them and they should have sealer applied to them when installed.

Do you run a catch can setup? Pressure can develop at higher rpms.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:04 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Check your air cleaner and throttle body. I use to get oil all over the place, before I put in two catch cans. Also your oil fill cap.

Steve A.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:04 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
The main crossbolts are tty, so you need to replace them and they should have sealer applied to them when installed.

Do you run a catch can setup? Pressure can develop at higher rpms.
If I put a can, how does that REDUCE pressure? I know it reduces the OIL that goes thru the TB, but the TB air flow would (I think) aid in the reduction of pressure by sucking the pressure from the crankcase, or is that all wrong?

Old 07-11-2011, 08:08 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
Check your air cleaner and throttle body. I use to get oil all over the place, before I put in two catch cans. Also your oil fill cap.

Steve A.
Air cleaner (K&N) is good & checked each event.

What is to be checked on oil fill cap? It's there.

TB has mild oiling as you would expect from a car that does not have a can (yet).

There is no trace of oil/dye from above that I can diagnois.

I am just wondering if at high pressure the oil change bolt rubber o ring is pizzing a tiny stream of oil that gets swirled all over at speed. It's a pretty flimsy little bit of rubber o ring.

Last edited by froggy47; 07-11-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:04 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at photos 54 through 60 I had an oil leak as well and it was my front main seal ...I pulled it down put a pump and timing chain in at same time ...

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...DSC_0017-1.jpg
Old 07-12-2011, 12:01 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
Look at photos 54 through 60 I had an oil leak as well and it was my front main seal ...I pulled it down put a pump and timing chain in at same time ...

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...DSC_0017-1.jpg
Well thanks, that is all the same area that I am getting oil, but my front main crank seal is dry as a bone.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:44 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

You may want to take another look at the front cover gasket. When I was running the engine at high rpms the leak from the front cover gasket threw oil as far forward as the front stabilizer bar, all over the front spring, down both both sides of the engine with more oil on the driver's side, it was all over the C6Z oil cooler line, the oil filter, the bottom of the car and the driver's side tires. Around town the oil filter and the oil pan got covered with some oil. It took three trips to the dealer to get the leak stopped. First, they replaced the stock oil cooler line, then the pan gasket, and finally the front cover gasket.

Bill
Old 07-12-2011, 12:25 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
You may want to take another look at the front cover gasket. When I was running the engine at high rpms the leak from the front cover gasket threw oil as far forward as the front stabilizer bar, all over the front spring, down both both sides of the engine with more oil on the driver's side, it was all over the C6Z oil cooler line, the oil filter, the bottom of the car and the driver's side tires. Around town the oil filter and the oil pan got covered with some oil. It took three trips to the dealer to get the leak stopped. First, they replaced the stock oil cooler line, then the pan gasket, and finally the front cover gasket.

Bill
I think I will clean it again and try running it hard 1 or 2 times & then look.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Rob's 73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try venting the crankcase with a breather.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:24 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rob's 73
Try venting the crankcase with a breather.
Is this the same as an oil catch can? My dad's 1950 Dodge had a crankcase breather as I recall.

Where does it go?

Pic?
Old 07-12-2011, 10:18 PM
crainholio
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
If I put a can, how does that REDUCE pressure? I know it reduces the OIL that goes thru the TB, but the TB air flow would (I think) aid in the reduction of pressure by sucking the pressure from the crankcase, or is that all wrong?

The vacuum port connected to your PCV has no vacuum on it at wide open throttle. If your PCV is factory configuration and working properly, eg. not blocked or hose kinked, it should allow crankcase pressure in excess of 100KPA (or whatever your ambient atmospheric pressure is) to vent passively into the intake.

I've seen LS1 cars have problems at WOT when somebody has replaced the PCV valve with an aftermarket check-ball type, problem is solved when a GM fixed orifice PCV valve is installed.

The LS6 has the PCV integrated into the lifter gallery cover and there's no separate PCV valve that I can recall...check your line from the intake to the lifter gallery connector to ensure it flows freely.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:26 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by crainholio
The vacuum port connected to your PCV has no vacuum on it at wide open throttle. If your PCV is factory configuration and working properly, eg. not blocked or hose kinked, it should allow crankcase pressure in excess of 100KPA (or whatever your ambient atmospheric pressure is) to vent passively into the intake.

I've seen LS1 cars have problems at WOT when somebody has replaced the PCV valve with an aftermarket check-ball type, problem is solved when a GM fixed orifice PCV valve is installed.

The LS6 has the PCV integrated into the lifter gallery cover and there's no separate PCV valve that I can recall...check your line from the intake to the lifter gallery connector to ensure it flows freely.
It's all stock, is there a way to check without pulling the intake?

Somehow or other at HIGH RPM there is too much pressure. Engine runs great & does NOT use excessive oil. It's all very stock & I run it hard.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:39 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is an unused (normally) oil galley plug on the lower front left side of the block under the alternator and a few inches beneath the water temp sensor.........make sure thats not your problem.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:59 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by CP Thunder
There is an unused (normally) oil galley plug on the lower front left side of the block under the alternator and a few inches beneath the water temp sensor.........make sure thats not your problem.
Ck, it's bone dry

Get notified of new replies

To Know C5Z oiling system? Pls help.

Quick Reply: Know C5Z oiling system? Pls help.