Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake bias questions: c5Z

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 12:39 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default brake bias questions: c5Z

Hi Everyone,

I notice my last time out that I was going into ABS a lot in the braking zones at Summit. It seems like the front tires are definitely holding me back from doing a little better. I was working on trail braking but really was still starting to brake earlier than I wanted because I didn't want to ABS so much and on every single lap.

What do you all do with the stock C5 set up to get more front traction--brake bias springs? Will it help significantly if I go to 18's front say 305-35-18 Nittos from my 275-40-17 Nittos?

I should mention I was having trouble with a front wheel speed sensor wire, but the ABS was still working/ going on obviously when I was not getting any code. Once it sets a code, no more ABS. I didn't want to go in too hot without ABS for fear of flat spotting.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 07-22-2011, 05:03 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If your C5 is 2001 or later, you have electronic biasing. If before, you can play with the replacement spring.
Are you on R comps? You could always get something stickier (R6/V710).
Old 07-22-2011, 07:25 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Try Hoosier A6 or slicks on 18" wheels....and run a "square" wheel setup. I feel that this will cure your problem. IMHO you just need more FRONT traction!
Old 07-22-2011, 08:44 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

Abs is a good thing. You could add a bias adjuster between the master and the ebtcm, but you you need to be sure which axle is overbiased.

Generally the stock setup is ok. However street tires really makes it feel like their is a bias issue
Old 07-23-2011, 05:24 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Abs is a good thing. You could add a bias adjuster between the master and the ebtcm, but you you need to be sure which axle is overbiased.

Generally the stock setup is ok. However street tires really makes it feel like their is a bias issue
David,

Just so I am understanding right--by which axle you mean front to back? For sure the fronts are overtaxed during braking. The car also pushes in the corners, I am regularly at the traction limit in the front and this limiting my cornering speed. It's very manageable though compared to oversteer which I don't have nearly so much experience with managing.

Left to right there is also something weird I think. I notice the right front and left rear rotors are the ones that crack out first, consistently. Yet the courses I run are mostly right turns and obviously most of my braking is in the straights. Do you think my ABS situation would be helped at all by a good corner weighting? I'd do it in a heartbeat if I was confident in a place that could do it on a leaf car. Most seem to not be enamoured with corner weighting a leaf car.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2

Left to right there is also something weird I think. I notice the right front and left rear rotors are the ones that crack out first, consistently. Yet the courses I run are mostly right turns and obviously most of my braking is in the straights.
Are the pads at those wheels worn more as well? On 01 and up cars the right front and left rear are on the same master cylinder brake circuit. Are you getting equal brake pressure in the other circuit?? How does your brake pedal feel? Maybe you don't have an ABS problem but a base brake problem.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To brake bias questions: c5Z

Quick Reply: brake bias questions: c5Z