Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making the next big plunge

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Making the next big plunge

We all know the we never have the car completed right?

So with this in mind I'm moving forward to the next level with new mods for C6 Z06 track car this fall...... This is a NASA TT car with the possibilities of someday moving to ST1 after I get some more seat time.

This is my build sheet
More HP with 560 RWHP that includes the usual upper half with cam/heads/valves/springs plus new pistons and the associated goodies, Cluch package, Cooling package with water/oil/trans/diff cooling, Coilovers, Adding the rear half of a full cage for now.

Now comes the question.....

Do I spring for the new brake package (Brembo/Stoptech) and the Aero mod with rear Wing installed to the frame?
This would add over 10K to the build, Will I get that much better braking over the OE Z06 brakes? and what about the Aero mod will this help me to be more competitive. Or could this wait for a later date?

Thanks in advance for your input

Last edited by Gman57; 07-22-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman57
We all know the we never have the car completed right?

So with this in mine I'm moving forward to the next level with new mods for C6 Z06 track car this fall...... This is a NASA TT car with the possibilities of someday moving to ST2 after I get some more seat time.

This is my build sheet
More HP with 560 RWHP that includes the usual upper half with cam/heads/valves/springs plus new pistons and the associated goodies, Cluch package, Cooling package with water/oil/trans/diff cooling, Coilovers, Adding the rear half of a full cage for now.

Now comes the question.....

Do I spring for the new brake package (Brembo) and the Aero mod with rear Wing installed to the frame?
This would add over 10K to the build, Will I get that much better braking over the OE Z06 brakes? and what about the Aero mod will this help me to be more competitive. Or could this wait for a later date?

Thanks in advance for your input
Your car, as described, won't be ST2 elgible. Too much power.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:58 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

You have lots of go-fast mods on there, it seems to me like being able to STOP would be a darned good idea!!!

So I would definitely do the brakes, spindle ducts too if you haven't done 'em yet. Even if the stopping power isn't tremendously higher (no personal experience..yet) the ease of pad changes, availability of compounds, pad life, etc would be well worth it. As I slowly build the safety stuff into my car when I reach the stage where I think my skills are ready for race compound tires to my mind a BBK is practically a given.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Falcon
Your car, as described, won't be ST2 elgible. Too much power.
My bad..... ST1
Old 07-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

=So I would definitely do the brakes, spindle ducts too if you haven't done 'em yet. Even if the stopping power isn't tremendously higher (no personal experience..yet) the ease of pad changes, availability of compounds, pad life, etc would be well worth it.
I'm leaning to the BBK although I do have spindle ducting and run Hawk race pads. Once you get the hang of it pad change is not that big of a deal with the OE calipers.

G
Old 07-22-2011, 03:58 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Gman57
I'm leaning to the BBK although I do have spindle ducting and run Hawk race pads. Once you get the hang of it pad change is not that big of a deal with the OE calipers.

G
No it's not, long as you're at home in your garage. However at the track if something happens suddenly those two 130 lb-ft bolts on the inside become a pain. Regardless though, as your intention is to race I think you'd be better served with race brakes. There are reasons all the fast guys here use 'em. Those AP Racing 8350's aren't just dead sexy cause they look so purposeful inside your wheels.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

I have been racing my 06 Z06 since I got it. The stock brakes are fine. The 6 piston calipers with the one piece pads do great. Chris Ingle who races a C6 (non Z06) in T1 class of SCCA, uses the Z06 calipers also. With Carbotech XP-12 pads on the front and XP-10 on the rear. We have no problem with bracking and we have to run 3300# in STO Class.

Wing and splitter is money well spent.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:04 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

The springs depend on which coil-overs you decide to get - every NASA ST car that I have set up ended up with different springs when I installed Pfadt coil-overs. Now if you decide to go with another CO package - like Hardbar I'm sure that Gary would work with you to pick out some springs that should work for your application.

The springs will have more to do with your cars weight, aero and tires used than which brakes you have on the car. The C6Z brakes are ok and some guys are proving that they can work under race conditions - I'd at least add a set of DRM's stainless steel pistons if you go that route. The advanage some of the brake kits will have over the stockers are thicker/larger pads that will last longer under race conditions, but you have to weigh the benifits with the costs.

If you have any questions stop by and have another moo cow , we'll be at September Autobahn and at RA in October.

Joel
Old 07-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
The springs depend on which coil-overs you decide to get - every NASA ST car that I have set up ended up with different springs when I installed Pfadt coil-overs. Now if you decide to go with another CO package - like Hardbar I'm sure that Gary would work with you to pick out some springs that should work for your application.

The springs will have more to do with your cars weight, aero and tires used than which brakes you have on the car. The C6Z brakes are ok and some guys are proving that they can work under race conditions - I'd at least add a set of DRM's stainless steel pistons if you go that route. The advanage some of the brake kits will have over the stockers are thicker/larger pads that will last longer under race conditions, but you have to weigh the benifits with the costs.

If you have any questions stop by and have another moo cow , we'll be at September Autobahn and at RA in October.

Joel
10-4 on the moo-cow Joel
I saw Geff a few weeks ago at Autobahn. Did you make the trip? Got pretty warm and I didn't walk around much. I am planning on Autobahn in September too.
With the $$$ amount with the main part of the build I was just trying to figure out what must be done now and what could wait for another day.
What can you tell me about the rear wing and dollars spent vs return on investment. I know your guys run with them.

Best always
G
Old 07-25-2011, 10:25 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

My opinion on wings is that they'll slow you down.
Everyone is fast in a strait line, it doesn't take talent to push your right foot down. To make a wing work for you, you'll have to make sure that you go faster in the turns where aero will help you.
The aero will help make the car feel more stable through higher speed corners and under braking, but you need to carry more speed through those corners and brake later to make up for the top end you are giving up. So once you feel like the car is maxed out in mechanical grip then you will start looking for aero - until then keep pushing the right foot down.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

My opinion on wings is that they'll slow you down.
Everyone is fast in a strait line, it doesn't take talent to push your right foot down. To make a wing work for you, you'll have to make sure that you go faster in the turns where aero will help you.
The aero will help make the car feel more stable through higher speed corners and under braking, but you need to carry more speed through those corners and brake later to make up for the top end you are giving up. So once you feel like the car is maxed out in mechanical grip then you will start looking for aero - until then keep pushing the right foot down.
Thanks Joel,
Your advice is well taken
Old 07-25-2011, 01:23 PM
AutobahnRacer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I added a front splitter and tray 'combined' with the rear wing (mounted to the frame), my times improved dramatically. Other than tires (from DOT to full slick), the aero mod had the most dramatic effect on lap times.

I use Black Dog Speed Shop, and they have the CF molds to produce the front clip, splitter and tray. They sent it out for paint, and it matched my C5 stock paint perfectly. Very happy with the appearance and quality. I bought the rear wing from LG, and Black Dog Speed Shop created a custom mount allowing me access to the trunk (cool suit and battery).

Good Luck!
Don

Last edited by AutobahnRacer; 07-25-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AutobahnRacer
When I added a front splitter and tray 'combined' with the rear wing (mounted to the frame), my times improved dramatically. Other than tires (from DOT to full slick), the aero mod had the most dramatic effect on lap times.

I use Black Dog Speed Shop, and they have the CF molds to produce the front clip, splitter and tray. They sent it out for paint, and it matched my C5 stock paint perfectly. Very happy with the appearance and quality. I bought the rear wing from LG, and Black Dog Speed Shop created a custom mount allowing me access to the trunk (cool suit and battery).

Good Luck!
Don
Thanks Don..... Missed you at your track a few weeks ago. Did you and Mike make it?

Best
Gary
Old 07-25-2011, 06:26 PM
SDF
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Gary,
You gonna let me drive that car when you get it all done?? Also, Herb was a good guy, glad you put in a good word for me!! Tires are gone......
Thanks,
Scott
Old 07-25-2011, 07:55 PM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Spend money on safety first. 560 hp on the track without a full-cage is a bad idea IMHO.

Nobody plans on wrecking, but it happens.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jasonberkeley
Spend money on safety first. 560 hp on the track without a full-cage is a bad idea IMHO.

Nobody plans on wrecking, but it happens.
I hear what your saying, I am doing a half cage with the plan on completing the cage when I'm to the point choping my car up for
w2w...... It has less than 2500 street miles and about 500 track miles Although it is a deticated tracker now
Old 07-25-2011, 11:22 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SDF
Hey Gary,
You gonna let me drive that car when you get it all done?? Also, Herb was a good guy, glad you put in a good word for me!! Tires are gone......
Thanks,
Scott
Scott,
You bet I'll ride shotgun and you could show me some of your magic tricks.
I've was told I'm using one now...... rushing the blend line
Talk to ya soon buddy
G

Get notified of new replies

To Making the next big plunge

Old 07-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Joel
We are currently working with McBen motor sports in their ST2 efforts, and sure would love to work with another serious competitive setup in ST1. We can absolutely work with you on spring rates for Aero and Non Aero packages. McBen is turning in impressive times for their first year of serious competition on our new FeatherLight Double Adjustable coilover package. Keep us in mind as a strong technical and equipment resource for your ST1 campaign.

As far as brakes go, we have had great luck with Brembo on our own ST1 car. I'm sure there are guys using the stock Z06 hardware, but brakes are something we would rather be over prepared on than lacking in.

Gman57 - Let us know if we can help you out. Like I mentioned earlier, we have the technical acumen to help you sort a nationally competitive ST1 program if that's the route you want to go!
Old 07-26-2011, 02:54 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Proper aero and good brakes will easily jump past the 10K.
Set of race brakes... eh ~7500. A big pimpin' wing is about 2K.

Do you have a front splitter and undertray?
There's a Katech C6Z aero analysis floating around that you should read.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OKsweetrides
Do you have a front splitter and undertray?
There's a Katech C6Z aero analysis floating around that you should read.
I've seen that.... good stuff or good marketing. I do have the splitter & undertray plus rear GM ZR1 spoiler.

G

Quick Reply: Making the next big plunge