Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How accurate are higher pressure tire gauges at low pressures?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 05:32 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How accurate are higher pressure tire gauges at low pressures?

I'm looking to get a nice tire gauge as I'm tired of the inconsistencies and short life spans of the $20-50 gauges. However, I'd like to get one gauge to meet all my requirements. The primary use case is of course my C5Z race car, so accuracy in the 30-40psi is key. However, it'd be nice to be able to use it on my sand rail as well, so accuracy in the 10-15psi range is nice. Sand is forgiving though, so a few percent off between tires would never be noticeable. Finally, my truck I run about 65psi in the tires, and around 80 in the airbags when towing and I'd like a gauge I can use for those too.

This is one of the few I've found that can handle enough pressure for all the jobs: http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...d=1392&catid=8 but I wonder how accurate it'll be at lower readings?

-TJ
Old 07-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I was looking at air gauges just a while ago. Not sure which web page it was on now but they recommended buying a gauge high enough that most of your measurements are in the middle of the range. That is where the gauge is the most accurate. Also get as large a dial as possible because it makes the readings easier to see (improves your accuracy) and since you get larger and better internal gears it maintains a calibration for a longer time period. Get liquid filled because that reduces the shock load on the gears inside when you apply air. Other than that I think you will find all gauges are pretty much the same accuracy. If a gauge hasn't been calibrated don't count on it being accurate and if it has been calibrated it probably has to be calibrated on a 6 month schedule to maintain its accuracy.

Update: Found the link to a guide on how to select a precision gauge:
http://www.soloperformance.com/asset...oose_gauge.htm

Personally, I have been using a 2 inch gauge that I bought from Summit Racing about 15 years ago with no issues.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 07-22-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:51 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

WAT? I've had cheap gages and expensive ones, and the lifespan hasn't varied at all between them. I use a walmart cheapo and the accuracy is great. You are thinking about this way too much.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:06 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

One of my columns last year in Vintage Motorsport magazine dealt with tire pressure gauges.

The main thing to remember is to use the same gauge every time you check your tires and never ever use that gauge on the tow truck How you treat, and use, your gauge is much more important than the brand of the gauge.

Richard Newton
My Facebook Page

Get notified of new replies

To How accurate are higher pressure tire gauges at low pressures?

Quick Reply: How accurate are higher pressure tire gauges at low pressures?