Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking 2000 Corvette to Daytona HDPE - What to check

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 12:16 AM
gsxnut
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking 2000 Corvette to Daytona HDPE - What to check

Taking my 2000 Corvette to Dayton HDPE. I bought the car 3 months ago with 82K miles. I have done one HDPE at Heartland. What should I check before going. I replaced rotors and pads when I got the car. The car is modified and has exhaust, heads, fast intake, CAI.

I will check wheel bearing hubs, take an extra set of brakes pads but want to know what I need to start checking if I am going to be doing 160 mph.

Mark
Old 08-01-2011, 06:01 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Tires are a huge deal. Especially the pressures. Check with the tire guys on this. Remember that the NASCAR guys run an inner liner. You won't have that safety feature.

The banking puts a tremendous load on your tires.

Richard Newton
Vintage Motorsport Magazine
Old 08-01-2011, 07:00 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Change the oil
Change the brake fluid to DOT4 a few day before
Check each nut in each wheel well to assure they are tight
Check each lug nut

Check you Ego at the door

have Fun

Old 08-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

You might want to replace the clutch fluid with a good quality DOT 4. lt will only take you 20 minutes using the "turkey baster" method. Have fun and DON'T drive outside your comfort level. Remember, nobody is paying you to be out there.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:01 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Bills Z06
You might want to replace the clutch fluid with a good quality DOT 4. lt will only take you 20 minutes using the "turkey baster" method. Have fun and DON'T drive outside your comfort level. Remember, nobody is paying you to be out there.
I agree. We won't be racing each other, just having fun. I have it on my calender to change out the clutch fluid in Oct/Nov, before I drive to Daytona. I last changed it out about 4-5 months ago.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-01-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:13 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxnut
Taking my 2000 Corvette to Dayton HDPE. I bought the car 3 months ago with 82K miles. I have done one HDPE at Heartland. What should I check before going. I replaced rotors and pads when I got the car. The car is modified and has exhaust, heads, fast intake, CAI.

I will check wheel bearing hubs, take an extra set of brakes pads but want to know what I need to start checking if I am going to be doing 160 mph.

Mark
We have a couple of cars(3, maybe 4) leaving Springfield, Wednesday morning at 7 AM, and staying in Oxford, AL that night. Then on to Daytona on Thursday, staying at the Extended Stay Deluxe, that is a couple of blocks from the track. We're only going to run on Friday, and then return to Springfield Saturday/Sunday.

If you want to, you are welcome to join in with us on the drive.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:11 AM
gsxnut
Racer

I think I am leaving on Tuesday Morning from KC. I have a neighbor that will get us into PRI in Orlando on the 1st. I have been once before and it is awesome. I signed up for two days. I am really excited about it. I bought a new suspension for the car including new z06 springs, Pfadt shocks and sways.

Mark
Old 08-17-2011, 08:24 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

[QUOTE

have Fun

[/QUOTE]

I have raced DIS for twenty years in I.T.S, EP, GT2, GTA, GT-1, SPO
Great fun, but you must respect the place.

Couple of tips or (How I do it) resist the temptation to drive in deep in the two horseshoe's. Over the years, I have seen a lot of newby's and not so newby's end up in the tire wall. These are late apex, slightly off camber, low grip corners that are all about exit speed. Many brake too late or turn in WAY to early, making the car push like a truck and killing exit speed. Smooth, late entry, roll onto the gas.

The Kink: probably slight lift, early apex, watch your track out to the right and don't hook a tire over the curb, quickly get back to the left for the west horseshoe and a very late apex.

turn Onto the banking: double apex, don't pinch it down too tight, let the car feed onto the banking, it will let you know where it wants to go. Work down to the low side through nascar one and two and then move right (check mirrors) to set up for the bus stop. Work your way down into the braking zone after some exploratory laps. Dangerous to overchage the entry in to the bus stop, use the curbing but don't hook a tire over them.

Get lower again for nascar 3 and 4 and let the car feed up near the wall on exit

at the Nascar start finish, look left for the brake zone markers....3,2,1
work your way in after some laps. I kinda diamond turn one, driving in deep, trailbraking and late apex, get the car rotated and then accelerate hard, straightening out 2 & 3 using the curbing.

Daytona is not that hard, but the penalty for messin' up is often high.

Be safe...have fun

Bosco

Last edited by bosco022; 08-17-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:23 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I am so in if my car holds together. I just finished up Charlotte this weekend and it is a blast even with the smaller road course part. I was assigned an instructor, Dave Roberts, who helped me push the car a little more so it did make it more challenging. I also rode in his 944. He had an awesome vintage '69 Camaro from the old Trans Am series but no passenger seat. It was spotless inside and out until a Boxter sideswiped him going into the pits. But ripping thru the turns and down the straights is pretty fun. Hope to see you there.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Ojustracing
Instructor

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

have Fun

The banking got to me very quickly. I had to adjust my seating position(Hunker down in the seat and look out the very top of the windshield) to see where I was going. If not you see about 50 ft in front of car and a big wall!!!!!

Depending on your Speed into turn 1, its feels like its very narrow then opens wide up. Keep Braking!! I had a tendency to let up on my braking. But we are not allowed any practice prior to our runs:crazy2 and I had never been there before

I know this event is not a racing event. But JFYI my Vette was 161mph just off turn 4 and about 165mph prior to start finish and aprox 155mph going into the bus-stop. best lap time first 3 lap session was 2:13.6 and afternoon 3 lap best time was 2.11.5.

Its fast and fun. But not forgiving if you do mess up. Drive to your comfort level.

John
Old 08-18-2011, 12:35 AM
gsxnut
Racer

I am going out and getting PS3 with Gran Turismo 5 and practice on it. I know it is not the real think but it should give me a general feel for the layout. A buddy that races karts there said it helped him to run it first on the video game.

Mark
Old 08-18-2011, 05:28 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxnut
I am going out and getting PS3 with Gran Turismo 5 and practice on it. I know it is not the real think but it should give me a general feel for the layout. A buddy that races karts there said it helped him to run it first on the video game.

Mark
games have reset buttons. Real life does NOT.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:10 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

watch you tube videos also.. in car video is a great way to start getting familiar with new tracks. i plan to see you guys over there in dec..
Old 08-22-2011, 12:10 AM
gsxnut
Racer

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
games have reset buttons. Real life does NOT.
Agreed. The idea being I would get a feel for the layout of the track. I most likely will run it in the game as a street car. Nothing replaces real seat time.

Mark

Get notified of new replies

To Taking 2000 Corvette to Daytona HDPE - What to check

Quick Reply: Taking 2000 Corvette to Daytona HDPE - What to check