Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6Z Upper A-Arm washers to provide camber question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 03:33 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C6Z Upper A-Arm washers to provide camber question

Right now car has aggresive allignment for hardcore track days (-3.0 Front). Car was alligned, cornerweighted by Phoenix a few years ago. Phoenix marks their allignments with a paint marker and amazingly after a few years, nothing has moved. I have just left it, as I do minimal street driving.

I removed 2 washers from the upper A-Arm myself before I gave them the car doing my own. I am basically taking the rest of the season off (lack of money and interest right now). Without going back to stock allignment completely (btw, I am fine with the rears being -1.5 on the street). It is the fronts that I know will wear fast at -3.0 with street tires. I am thinking if I put back the 2 washers, that may get me down to -2.0 ish without screwing with the concentrics. This way if something changes, I can put them back quickly to -3.0.

For those hardcore allignment guys, will just replacing the washers without a new allignment screw up the toe or caster? I don't want to do all that work just to cause wear somewhere else.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

It will affect toe, and toe will eat tires faster than camber.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:07 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
It will affect toe, and toe will eat tires faster than camber.
What He Said!! JD
Old 08-01-2011, 06:43 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

If you are using the factory GM shims they will change camber roughly 0.3 degrees. Of course adding them removes neg. camber and pulling them out adds neg. camber. You can use a thin AN washer and change camber 0.1 degree.

Camber does effect toe like the other guys said. As you add neg. camber to the front of the car it will give it toe out..and vice versa. On the rear of the car as you add neg. camber it adds toe in.

Yes Toe will eat tires more so than camber will. If I remember my numbers right, one flat on the toe link should change toe 1/16"

Anthony
Old 08-01-2011, 08:12 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I've found the thick OEM washers closer to full 1/2 degree, but regardless 2 of them will definitely bring you down a good bit. As stated, you still need to re-set the toe. My DIY guide can have you setting it yourself in no time.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:36 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
If you are using the factory GM shims they will change camber roughly 0.3 degrees. Of course adding them removes neg. camber and pulling them out adds neg. camber. You can use a thin AN washer and change camber 0.1 degree.

Camber does effect toe like the other guys said. As you add neg. camber to the front of the car it will give it toe out..and vice versa. On the rear of the car as you add neg. camber it adds toe in.

Yes Toe will eat tires more so than camber will. If I remember my numbers right, one flat on the toe link should change toe 1/16"

Anthony
Thanks for the great response Anthony. This may then work to my advantage. I also have aggressive toe out in the front, so by adding positive camber (hence adding more washers), according to your post, it sound like I can take away some of that aggresive toe out.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I've found the thick OEM washers closer to full 1/2 degree, but regardless 2 of them will definitely bring you down a good bit. As stated, you still need to re-set the toe. My DIY guide can have you setting it yourself in no time.
Thanks Dave! I think I have seen it before with the strings. If you could send me the link that would be great.

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z Upper A-Arm washers to provide camber question

Quick Reply: C6Z Upper A-Arm washers to provide camber question