Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 blew - what is my best option?

Old 08-04-2011, 02:05 PM
sebdavid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 blew - what is my best option?

Hey guys,

Probably due to the engine running lean, the LS6 in my C5Z blew and there is significant damage. #8 piston shattered, #7 damaged... rebuild cost as a worst-case scenario (engine not yet completely taken apart) would be high.

My configuration had bolt-ons giving 407whp on a Mustang dyno. Head/cam, intake, throttle body, headers, etc. I'd like to get a similar amount of power back because now I'm hooked.

The other option I was given, at a roughly equivalent cost, would be to drop in a crate LS3 with a "hot cam". This engine would carry a warranty and be all brand-new. Power level at 480 crank would be a bit lower but it would be easy to get back the same performance level with a few tweaks and a tune. What worries me the most is the oiling and blowing up issue when not using a dry sump, but I've been told LS6s blow up just as often...

So what do you think? What would you do if you were in my shoes? I figured I'd ask here since you guys know about the requirements for a track engine. This car is used to drive to and from the track but other than that it's a track car so it will spend its life revving high under high g loads.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sebdavid
Hey guys,

Probably due to the engine running lean, the LS6 in my C5Z blew and there is significant damage. #8 piston shattered, #7 damaged... rebuild cost as a worst-case scenario (engine not yet completely taken apart) would be high.

My configuration had bolt-ons giving 407whp on a Mustang dyno. Head/cam, intake, throttle body, headers, etc. I'd like to get a similar amount of power back because now I'm hooked.

The other option I was given, at a roughly equivalent cost, would be to drop in a crate LS3 with a "hot cam". This engine would carry a warranty and be all brand-new. Power level at 480 crank would be a bit lower but it would be easy to get back the same performance level with a few tweaks and a tune. What worries me the most is the oiling and blowing up issue when not using a dry sump, but I've been told LS6s blow up just as often...

So what do you think? What would you do if you were in my shoes? I figured I'd ask here since you guys know about the requirements for a track engine. This car is used to drive to and from the track but other than that it's a track car so it will spend its life revving high under high g loads.

dont think you can find LS6 crate engines anymore.. although there might be some for the cts-v floating around still.. donno.. something to look in to..

LS3's seem not share the same confidence in durability as the LS6's..

the first thing I would look at is why did it run lean.. the tune is what may have gotten ya in trouble in the first place.. too much advance/knock and too little fuel maybe?
Old 08-04-2011, 02:49 PM
sebdavid
Pro

Problem with fuel tank siphon jet pump is probably why, as well as stock injectors not doing the job and bad tune before I got the car. I rectified this but with the fuel tank problem and maybe prior damage, it was too late, I guess.

Shouldn't have the same problem again.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:31 PM
throwit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As cheap as assembled engines are now, I wouldn't spend the money attempting to rebuild it. Buy a used engine from someone here on the forum, and part yours out. Which engine is up to you...IMO its a crap shoot no matter what you buy (or build for that matter)...
Old 08-04-2011, 03:34 PM
sebdavid
Pro

You make it sound as if there's no way to be safe and not have a blown engine, no matter what you do... There has to be a "preferred option" regarding which engine choice you make, no?

Are used engines this common on this forum?
Old 08-04-2011, 03:37 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously, call junk yards, there are hundreds of these motors sitting in yards with low miles from douch bags who crashed their cars. Buy a used one with low milles, and GO. My buddy owns a junk yard and comes accross this stuff all day. You should be able to get one out of a yard for less than a few grand. I would never buy a crate or build an expensive motor knowing what I know from my buddy.

Forget expensive rebuilds! While the motor is out, throw in a cam package and your on your way.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:40 PM
sebdavid
Pro

Unfortunately, junk yards with dead Corvettes are not numerous around here. I'll have the shop working on my car try this, though. Let's see what they come up with. Maybe you could put me in touch with your buddy?

Last edited by sebdavid; 08-04-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:44 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Unfortunately, junk yards with dead Corvettes are not numerous around here. I'll have the shop working on my car try this, though. Let's see what they come up with.
No, but your local junk yard can do a nationwide search, find you a motor at a reasonable price and have it shipped to your door. They have a nationwide network since they buy and trade parts from eachother.

Out of curiousity, my buddy found my an LS7 with 8k miles for $6k as an example. Less than 1/2 the price for a motor barely broken in...LOL
Old 08-04-2011, 03:46 PM
sebdavid
Pro

Problem is I'm in the wrong nation... :-)
Old 08-04-2011, 03:48 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Problem is I'm in the wrong nation... :-)
sorry forgot to check your avatar...now I feel bad, as it is fairly easy to find a good used motor in the US.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:57 PM
sebdavid
Pro

And I'm sure importing a used engine from USA to Canada might be a challenge, since it would come along with a VIN number and everything...
Old 08-04-2011, 04:01 PM
throwit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You make it sound as if there's no way to be safe and not have a blown engine, no matter what you do... There has to be a "preferred option" regarding which engine choice you make, no?

Are used engines this common on this forum?
"preffered option" would be the "best" engine you can find for the price. The word "best" is extremely vague and can only be answered on a case by case basis. Is an ls6 making 425 whp "better" than an ls2 making 400? Who knows. Its all about whats in the engine, who built it, what condition its in, etc...
When buying a used engine from someone else or a junk yard or wherever, its a crap shoot meaning nothing is "guaranteed" to work perfectly or last you 10 years. typically there is always something which will require changing/upgrading/modifying to make it work how you want it to. not saying there is any malicious intent, but stuff happens, stuff breaks, mistakes are made, etc.
With that said, I still think a used engine, considering how inexpensive they are, is a better option than a build or rebuild. and yes, used engines are pretty common on this forum.

Last edited by throwit; 08-04-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:47 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

LS6 is NLA this used to be rumor now 6 months later accepted as fact. So what about the rumor that the LS6 is really the LS1 with cam and LS6 heads? If that is so the LS1 long block is available as a crate and if you LS6 heads are ok you are good to go? I don't know just asking?
Old 08-04-2011, 05:53 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Otherwise you could call Joe at Phoenix he posts up from time to time about rebuilt motors from there T1 cars.
Not a bad option.
I would stick with an LS6 though, the LS3 will be dead without a dry-sump the LS6 at least has a chance. There is a reason that the dry-sump is only legal for the LS2 and LS3 - because the LS6 doesn't need it.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:13 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The LS6 is the same as a 2001+ LS1 with diff heads/cam/tune/airbox/valley cover/cat setup. All those parts are widely available and cheap.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:16 PM
sebdavid
Pro

Rotating assembly the same? LS1 easy to find? Still not sure whether my heads are too damaged to reuse.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:29 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, all the same. The compression ratio diff is due to the heads.

Get notified of new replies

To LS6 blew - what is my best option?

Old 08-04-2011, 08:03 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Someone needs to make me an offer on my LS1 before it turns itself inside out.

I'm itching to drop in this crate motor that's been sitting on my shop floor for nearly a year now.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:23 PM
sebdavid
Pro

I'd love to stick to something new or almost new...
Old 08-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 187 Likes on 71 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I put a 480HP LS3 crate engine in my 63 Grand Sport replica. With the exception of the fact that the camshaft was installed one tooth off, it's been a great engine since we fixed it. http://www.theoldone.com/grandsport/...grandsport.htm

I've leaked the engine a couple times and it only has 1% per cylinder which is awfully good. For the money, it's a bargain in my opinion....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS6 blew - what is my best option?