Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you count heat cycles on tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 08:06 PM
dgoetz
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How do you count heat cycles on tires?

I usually do runs in the morning then again in the afternoon. The tires don't cool all the way down between heats so is that considered one heat cycle for the day?
What is the determining factor in order to estimate heat cycles?
This is autocross with generally 3-6 runs in morning and 3-5 runs afternoon and usually 40-60 sec long.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:16 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by dgoetz
I usually do runs in the morning then again in the afternoon. The tires don't cool all the way down between heats so is that considered one heat cycle for the day?
What is the determining factor in order to estimate heat cycles?
This is autocross with generally 3-6 runs in morning and 3-5 runs afternoon and usually 40-60 sec long.
I would call that 2 heat cycles, but you may want to try setting up your tire program using durometer readings, takes some of the gusswork out of it IMO.

That's how I judge the tires.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:37 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I don't know how much heat you build in a run....that would help determine if it is hot enough to count. Regardless, just be consistent and you'd build a knowledge-base of what works for you.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:49 PM
dgoetz
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
I would call that 2 heat cycles, but you may want to try setting up your tire program using durometer readings, takes some of the gusswork out of it IMO.

That's how I judge the tires.

Ok, I just started doing that. I got about 70dur when cold in morning and 37dur when hot just before another run. I will keep an eye on that and check it when hot. At what point do you replace the tires? I know i can't use them till the groves are gone cause they go away before that. These are A6's
Old 08-06-2011, 01:46 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by dgoetz
Ok, I just started doing that. I got about 70dur when cold in morning and 37dur when hot just before another run. I will keep an eye on that and check it when hot. At what point do you replace the tires? I know i can't use them till the groves are gone cause they go away before that. These are A6's
If money is no object (ha) put on fresh tires each event. On the other end of the spectrum, I know many guys that run tires until a little cord is showing. You lap times will vary.

Flipping tires, reverse direction, rotation (sq setup), proper inflation, not over driving the tires all will help get max enjoyment from a set.

If you "compete" then multi sets of rims allow you to use your best tires when you need them & a 2nd or 3rd set for practice & any other non compete events. Local autox etc.

So I guess the answer to when do I replace is when your need for faster laps outweighs your desire to keep your consumable budget in check. There is no end to the stuff you can spend money on in motorsports.

Last edited by froggy47; 08-06-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:01 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

If you can keep them from cooling it counts as one heat cycle (so I've been told) I'm not sure what that magic temp is

Get notified of new replies

To How do you count heat cycles on tires?

Quick Reply: How do you count heat cycles on tires?