Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual steering C4 ?????????????

Old 08-05-2011, 08:39 AM
The Bus
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Manual steering C4 ?????????????

Over the last few years I've had at least 4 power steering failures during a race. Hoses,pump, "o" rings. I was at the local Chevie dealer and was talking to a employee who in the past raced dirt circle track events and he said that they just connected the input and output of the rack and had manual steering. And make sure the rack was full of STP. Does this actually work and if so would it work on a road course where more turning is necessary??????
Old 08-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Rednels
Instructor

I would think that under hard braking going into a pretty slow turn it would make for some seriously hard steering input.

FWIW I race a C4 and have never had trouble with PS failure. Do you have a good cooler on it?
Old 08-05-2011, 09:27 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You will have AHNOLD biceps trying to push that car around a road course without power steering. Get a Turn One PS pump, new hoses and a decent cooler and you will be good to go. Spend a few bucks, get the best quality designed for racing and don't loose any more track time.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:55 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I'm going with the turn one pump & rack rebuild along with a rippie high pressure line for my 92.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:30 AM
WYCKD 1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaa1992
I'm going with the turn one pump & rack rebuild along with a rippie high pressure line for my 92.

I ran into issues at WGI a few years ago and installed a Turn One pump and rebuilt the rack. Not an issue since

lauri
Old 08-06-2011, 11:07 AM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

ruddy 4 ps fails are pretty good in my eyes your car gets a lot of abuse i would figure rebuilding the hole system every 2 years to avoid problems..ur motor is wat 5 years old now im jelous.. just fix her up!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 11:53 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

In the last ten years of running track events I've only had one p/s steering failure and that was my own fault. I was hoping a leaking hose would sort of fix itself. It finally let go on turn 3 at Homestead.

Because of all the problems other people have had with p/s steering I only use synthetic fluid (usually Valvoline) and I flush the entire system every couple of events. I don't run a filter in the lines because I don't want the restrictions.

Simply posting this probably means I'll have big time problems next time out. That's the way it usually goes.

Richard Newton
Newton's Law in Vintage Motorsport Magazine
Old 08-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was talking to the guys at Turn1 about ditching the PS pump. (personally I despise power steering). They told me that the hydraulic pressure holds a engagement together in the rack. If that engagement doesnt have hydraulic pressure there will be a lot of slop between right and left engagement. I have not tryed to test this myself but have a lot of confidence in the crew at Turn1. I am haveing Turn1 do a pump for me.

btw if a good manual setup is out there I am really interested! (as well as a slick easy adjustable duel master cyl setup)

Last edited by Crepitus; 08-07-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:45 PM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Rudy!

I've finished more than a few races without PS and it's a workout!

I finally gave up on the stock system since I'm no longer required to run it (ST2 vs PTA) and I have a KRC pump now with zero problems.

See you next week
Old 08-08-2011, 07:12 AM
The Bus
Pro

Matt. I have a garage for this coming weekend. If you need to do some work on your car during the weekend DO NOT DO IT IN THE HOT SUN. Come down to my garage and use it. I will also have a fan to blow on you while you are working. I can also help out.
My pwr steering went out three laps from the end of a SCCA race at BeaveRun two weeks ago. was running second to my son. Had to slow down for turn ten more than normal and 3rd place car got around me. If the start finish line would have been 50 yrds further I would have regained 2nd. It was a great day my son was on the pole and I was beside him starting 2nd. Orawiec front row SWEET
See you this weekend.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:26 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mrc24x
I finally gave up on the stock system since I'm no longer required to run it (ST2 vs PTA) and I have a KRC pump now with zero problems.
Same here. It's a PITA on an LT1 motor, is it a simple swap on the L98?

See you guys Friday if I can find this stupid oil leak I've been looking for for two days.

Get notified of new replies

To Manual steering C4 ?????????????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manual steering C4 ?????????????