Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 08:36 PM
fennerhillpro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension question

I have 15 track days become quite fast leading the intermediate 2 group with a 2007 c6 with cai, tune and headers exactly 385 rwhp and 370 torque. Except for the 911 turbo and cars with 500+ hp outrunning most. I have z51 springs and F55 magnetic shocks and hotckins swaybar. I and thinking I am overdriving the suspension on slicks and scraping the front skid plates and feel the back end bottoming out. I also use the vette on the street. I have a 6 point and racing seats. I find the factory brakes with racing pads fine what is my best suspension move to get to the next level?
Old 08-07-2011, 10:27 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

Pfadt as a good deal on the Johnny 0 bars and shocks, that combined with a Z06 (FE5) rear spring would be about as far as I would take a street car.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We have a couple different options that I think would work well for you.

Our Johnny O'Connell package was designed for daily driver Corvettes who see some occasional track time. Generally that type of driver isn't using R compounds, but is probably running an aggressive street tire. For your daily driving and occasional track day needs the Johnny O'Connell package is working great. You will absolutely see an improvement with the JO shocks and Sway bars, although it's not as aggressive as a coilover style seutp.

If you're a more serious track day user you should look at our new FeatherLight Generations Single Adjustable Coilovers. Not only will you have the ability to tailor your ride heights for more aggressive stance and Center of Gravity improvements, but the adjustable damping rates will allow you to quickly change your ride quality from mild on the street to aggressive for track use with race tires. The spring rates we have selected work well for both street and track use. Newly redesigned FeatherLight Generations Singles will offer our users the flexibility to grow into their suspension packages... If you're mostly daily driving with ideas of a track car on the horizon, the coilovers are robust enough to handle both very successfully.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:22 PM
fennerhillpro
Racer

I do like the Coilover idea but have heard they are difficult to dial in and noise. This is not a daily driver right now 60 percent track 40 percent Sunday cruiser
Old 08-08-2011, 08:41 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My LG coil overs are quiet they make zero noise and I love them
Old 08-08-2011, 09:01 PM
fennerhillpro
Racer

Originally Posted by morris
My LG coil overs are quiet they make zero noise and I love them
Which lg model are you running? How were they to dial in on the track? Who din the install?
Old 08-08-2011, 11:14 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go to coilovers you will have to take care of the electronics of the f55 package and to do it the correct way is not so easy because we tried the sims and they didn't work but we know how to fix the problem.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:20 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed them myself it was in a Z06 and I have the GT2 coil overs and G1 sway bars it totally transformed the car!
Old 08-08-2011, 11:31 PM
fennerhillpro
Racer

Default Can you share the fix?

Originally Posted by vette6aut0x
If you go to coilovers you will have to take care of the electronics of the f55 package and to do it the correct way is not so easy because we tried the sims and they didn't work but we know how to fix the problem.
I was going to buy the plugs from zip to bypass the f55. Any advise would be appreciated.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

I do like the Coilover idea but have heard they are difficult to dial in and noise. This is not a daily driver right now 60 percent track 40 percent Sunday cruiser
Because we are an engineering firm and have access to OEM CAD Data, we have designed our coilover systems for proper fitment on OEM C5 and C6 suspensions. No setup or fiddling required to maintain quiet and reliable operation... just bolt the coilovers up, set your ride heights and go.

If you have or know someone who does have access to the GM TechII tool you can disable the F55 suspension pretty easily. Normally it's a situation that conversation with your Service Tech and a 6 pack can solve pretty quickly. Using the TechII is really a more elegant solution than a simulator plug. Although the plugs do work, and should be available from Caspers Electronics.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Evilash
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Chevy dealer had never done the delete before. But with printed out instructions from the forum they tuned it out no problem. Well, there was one small problem. They took about 12 minutes and charged me the full half hour qoute.

Are these coil overs shipping out this week?

I'd hate to have to plug my module back in to make the track day and pay to remove it again.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:07 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Have to back up Pfadt here. Quality stuff that's well researched.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:20 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
Because we are an engineering firm and have access to OEM CAD Data, we have designed our coilover systems for proper fitment on OEM C5 and C6 suspensions. No setup or fiddling required to maintain quiet and reliable operation... just bolt the coilovers up, set your ride heights and go.

If you have or know someone who does have access to the GM TechII tool you can disable the F55 suspension pretty easily. Normally it's a situation that conversation with your Service Tech and a 6 pack can solve pretty quickly. Using the TechII is really a more elegant solution than a simulator plug. Although the plugs do work, and should be available from Caspers Electronics.
I hate to disagree with you but the sims we have done did not work. They were toast. We had them replaced again, same thing. The car was a zr1. We put coilovers on the car, at first the car went to speed limit mode of 158( don't ask me were that number was derived) then it limited to 80 mph so it must have to do with key cycles. There is more to it than just the TechII alone, there are two other things(in our case) that had to be done in conjunction with the TechII.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Interesting that you had to go through more lengths to disable your ZR1 system. Feedback from our vendors who have done ZR1 installs with our coilovers has just led us to believe it's just a few minutes with the TechII. We will keep an eye on this in the future. What other measures were required for your installation?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:53 PM
fennerhillpro
Racer

I spoke with my dealers tech he said he has new done it but would be happy to try with instructions.

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension question

Quick Reply: Suspension question