Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kent's Video: Testing the GoPro Suction Cup Mount with a Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 03:38 AM
lkelliott
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Kent's Video: Testing the GoPro Suction Cup Mount with a Corvette

Here is a test we did at the SCCA National Pro Solo Event. We mounted a GoPro HD camera with a GoPro Suction Cup Mount low enough on this C5 to contact any orange cones on the track. Our driver came very close to lots of cones, in fact, he took out seventeen orange cones on the course with our GoPro camera setup. The camera never even took a blink as the camera setup simply mowed down those seventeen orange cones. Check out our video in full screen and in HD by clicking on the YouTube logo on the screen shot below.

Kent
Canyon Run Videos

Old 08-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

I have also seen the results of the suction cup losing its grip on the hood of a car and the camera bracket breaking the front carbon fiber splitter on a Z06 and going through the grille and lodging against the oil cooler. Camera had disappeared somewhere on the track. The grip might be very good most of the time but it all depends on the person mounting the unit and where they mount it. Even in an autocross like I was doing today it could be dangerous for course workers if a camera comes loose and hits somebody at 40 mph.

Bill
Old 08-14-2011, 03:57 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Even in an autocross like I was doing today it could be dangerous for course workers if a camera comes loose and hits somebody at 40 mph.

Bill
Couldn't possibly be as dangerous as listening to that music (noise) in the video ....
Old 08-14-2011, 05:01 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Bet the course workers loved that
Old 08-14-2011, 08:27 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I can vouch for the GoPro all day long at 160mph. I stuck them on CTS-V's, Lexus LFA, tons of Vette's as well as my head for whitewater rafting. The GoPro makes the sickest mounting setup out there. Even those stick on mounts are amazing!

GoPro is what makes me continuously curse GTECH and the new GTECH Fanatic. Such a cool unit to use, but such a wickedly sh*tty mounting system. GoPro...work a deal with GTECH and save their sorry asses.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:58 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Every HPDE event I've been to; PDA, NASA, SCDA, BMW CCA; does not allow suction cup mounts. Interesting that SCCA does. Who else allows them?
Old 08-14-2011, 11:44 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
I can vouch for the GoPro all day long at 160mph. I stuck them on CTS-V's, Lexus LFA, tons of Vette's as well as my head for whitewater rafting. The GoPro makes the sickest mounting setup out there. Even those stick on mounts are amazing!
That may be true but that doesn't guarantee the person mounting it to the car does it correctly.

Bill
Old 08-15-2011, 01:40 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

No doubt there...people mount them on dirty curved surfaces. Keep it flat and a quick clean...that thing ain't comin off!

HPDE I've run all over the place...I just stick it on...what they don't see won't hurt them...lol. I mount my stuff carefully, plus if I do external mount I strap a backup catch on so it can't fly off. No biggie to do and works well. GOPro should come up with a nice simple backup strap or something stupid. Be a nice product to sell as an accessory.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:07 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

a friend of mine mounted one to the tail of an F4 jet and flew it at 450mph.. it held. cam-over suction cups are the next best thing since zip ties.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:38 AM
jwd
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any thoughts on interior mounting?

I'm thinking the suction cup on the inside of the roof would work?

How are people mounting the gopro in the C6 for autocross events? (interior and exterior) Any photos? Example footage from various mounting points?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:05 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by jwd

How are people mounting the gopro in the C6 for autocross events? (interior and exterior) Any photos? Example footage from various mounting points?
I use a sticky mount on the inside of the windshield, to the right of the rear view mirror.

Here's a thread with lots of different views and videos. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...ts-camera.html
Old 01-24-2013, 01:06 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I have mounted mine on the harness bar and on the inside of windshield w/suction mount. One group I run HPDE with wants all cameras tethered and require a supervisor to inspect camera mounts. So I took an old camera strap and looped the thin end through the bolt on the mount and then put the other end over the rear view mirror post - worked perfect and passed a rather stringent tech inspection re camera mounts. Now if I could only figure how to work the camera and remote.

Last edited by PaConehead; 01-24-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:12 PM
jwd
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks, not sure how I missed the other thread while searching!
Old 01-27-2013, 05:34 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jwd

the shaking is the hard top moving, not the camera

Old 01-27-2013, 07:50 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my Gopro....I just pulled a few dents out of my truck with it a few weeks ago....no lie..
I used it on Road America at high speeds without any issues..
Old 06-10-2013, 09:51 AM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

is there a specific name for the suction cup windshield mount? would u guys reccomend black? silver? does it come with a memory card? what size card would u get? extra battery?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:05 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Thinking of getting the White edition as I only want to mount on my harness bar, so I don't need all the other stuff. Does the std battery last the 4 30min sessions or will it need the larger battery or does it charge sufficiently fast thru usb to get thru a track day?

Get notified of new replies

To Kent's Video: Testing the GoPro Suction Cup Mount with a Corvette

Old 06-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
Every HPDE event I've been to; PDA, NASA, SCDA, BMW CCA; does not allow suction cup mounts. Interesting that SCCA does. Who else allows them?
With the 2013 National rules, NASA no longer forbids suction cup mounts. If your region still doesn't allow them, then that's different.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:29 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by urslooow
is there a specific name for the suction cup windshield mount? would u guys reccomend black? silver? does it come with a memory card? what size card would u get? extra battery?
It's made by/is a Panavise. Google it.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:18 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

You can buy a wall charger that comes with two or three batteries for $20 from an aftermarket supplier (wabashi IIRC). If you turn the camera off after each session a single battery will make it through the day.
Gopro makes a motorsports package that comes with the suction cup.

Quick Reply: Kent's Video: Testing the GoPro Suction Cup Mount with a Corvette