Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette world tribute at Road America!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 01:46 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
ah man that is horrible, RA always seems to claim a car or 2 but usually nothing that bad

I just got home from the 7 hour drive. hope the driver was ok and was wearing a HANS if he was wearing a harness. They supposedly took driving experience profiles from my friend who entered said they asked what driving experience you had, which i am surprised some people had stopped to want to get out and help
Yeah, that was only the front! He came through the carousel, then through turn 11 is where he got loose. He hit the left wall then blasted back across the track and came to rest against the opposite wall. I was in the carousel when it happened. As I came out I saw the smoke everywhere. I passed through and headed back around and exited at 5. My friend was near the Corvette bridge and said it sounded aweful even from that distance away. Another guy in the paddock next to me was raising hell because people were stopping right after turn 11 acting like they were going to get out!

I tell you, there were some sketchy folks out there. The guy in a maroon C5 didn't belong on a track along with a few others.

They do take experience profiles, but I'd imagine people lie thinking it's no biggie. I almost got in a tangle on turn 11 earlier in the session because two cars slowed suddenly in front of me to probably 30mph trying to figure out whether they should pass one another or not...I locked up my brakes and almost had to go in the grass to avoid hitting one of them. I was screamin like a nut case. I was tempted to go up to them in the paddock but I didn't want to be "that guy" so I let it go.

That's a fast, pretty unforgiving track to go out there with your head up your *** I tell you that.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:35 AM
bjm
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
Ugh....that sucks. I saw a early red 50s car smashed up pretty good to...but thats racing!
I went over to talk to the driver and he was pretty upset as I am pretty sure he is not going to be able to fix it, as he offered the car to me on the spot! I looked at the car and it is fixable but bad, almost to the point it may need to be clipped in the right front. He hit pretty hard! I felt for him!!
Old 08-23-2011, 10:15 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
Yeah, that was only the front! He came through the carousel, then through turn 11 is where he got loose. He hit the left wall then blasted back across the track and came to rest against the opposite wall. I was in the carousel when it happened. As I came out I saw the smoke everywhere. I passed through and headed back around and exited at 5. My friend was near the Corvette bridge and said it sounded aweful even from that distance away. Another guy in the paddock next to me was raising hell because people were stopping right after turn 11 acting like they were going to get out!

I tell you, there were some sketchy folks out there. The guy in a maroon C5 didn't belong on a track along with a few others.

They do take experience profiles, but I'd imagine people lie thinking it's no biggie. I almost got in a tangle on turn 11 earlier in the session because two cars slowed suddenly in front of me to probably 30mph trying to figure out whether they should pass one another or not...I locked up my brakes and almost had to go in the grass to avoid hitting one of them. I was screamin like a nut case. I was tempted to go up to them in the paddock but I didn't want to be "that guy" so I let it go.

That's a fast, pretty unforgiving track to go out there with your head up your *** I tell you that.
always makes me leery when there is only 1 run group with everyone from not alot of experience up to semi pro drivers out there at the same time. sounds like this was a good one to sit out and just take my bumper cover i got at the auction home and be happy

sounds like some should have just been in touring LOL
Old 08-23-2011, 10:26 AM
bjm
Pro

always makes me leery when there is only 1 run group with everyone from not alot of experience up to semi pro drivers out there at the same time. sounds like this was a good one to sit out and just take my bumper cover i got at the auction home and be happy

sounds like some should have just been in touring LOL
I had my eye on that bumper cover but it went for a little more than I wanted to spend! I ended up with the #64 Le Mans Pit Banner which was WAY longer than I thought! I had to put it in the trailer to even get home to Chicago! Not at all sure how it is getting to Boston! I heard they raised $50k for the camp!!
Old 08-23-2011, 10:27 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

awesome, would have liked to have know who the lady was buying everything, must be building their own race vette LOL
Old 08-23-2011, 10:37 AM
bjm
Pro

awesome, would have liked to have know who the lady was buying everything, must be building their own race vette LOL
I heard she/the family has a lot of money and a very extensive Corvette Racing memorabilia collection and buys a lot of items when there is this type of event! She must have spent $7-10K.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:04 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I missed the auction...I was very pissed!

Yeah, no question several should have been in touring. I would've much preferred to run in the vintage race itself, but I just didn't have the spares, nor did the car have the necessary shakedown/setup time. Oh well. She's still in one piece and I avoided incident so...it's all good.

As far as that 50 something that was wrecked goes...that car is certainly fixable. Any racecar with history generally has been wrecked and rebuilt many times. It's just metal and fiberglass...get to fixin!
Old 08-23-2011, 11:23 AM
mbeckers
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a tire go down so I missed the last session. There was a huge gap in experience levels of the participants which made some of the sessions a little hairy. I hate to see accidents at these events but they do happen. I am glad that no one was hurt.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:13 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Old 08-23-2011, 12:14 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the rare and exciting opportunity to be in the passenger seat of that wrecked C5. I can tell you that the driver has quite a bit of experience and is fairly quick. The car is a stock C5 LS1 with a few minor suspension and brake upgrades and race tires. As for what happened, we were heading toward the "hurry downs" with a C6 Z06 appoaching quickly. He pointed him bye before the carousel, but he didn't come around us. After we exited, I think he was looking in his mirrors to see if the Z was coming bye and was late on his turn in point. I knew we were in trouble before he ever turned the car. Unbelievably, my only injury is a minor skin burn from the belt rubbing just below my ribcage. The driver wasn't injured either. Honestly, I was expecting much worse. A testament to both the car and the track design. I know most of us, myself included, wonder why those walls are so close to the track. Even though we went nose first into the inside wall and it was a pretty hard hit, the track basically swept us along the concrete tunnel. I sat there for about a minute breathing the smelly airbag, realized I wasn't hurt at all, got out of the car and walked behind the wall.

Road America, like most tracks, can be very unforgiving. Respect her, be safe not a hero. Most of us don't have roll cages in our cars.
Robert
Old 08-23-2011, 12:17 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by bjm
I heard she/the family has a lot of money and a very extensive Corvette Racing memorabilia collection and buys a lot of items when there is this type of event! She must have spent $7-10K.
I ended up with one of the pistons and one of the 2011 LeMans programs from the silent auction. I wish I could've gotten more items but I dont have that much disposable income.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:27 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

glad you are ok robert and the driver is too, i am surprised i didnt run into you on sunday sometime then if you were there.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:35 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

my favorite pic from all weekend LOL

Last edited by dvandentop; 08-23-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:44 PM
bjm
Pro

I missed the auction...I was very pissed!

Yeah, no question several should have been in touring. I would've much preferred to run in the vintage race itself, but I just didn't have the spares, nor did the car have the necessary shakedown/setup time. Oh well. She's still in one piece and I avoided incident so...it's all good.

As far as that 50 something that was wrecked goes...that car is certainly fixable. Any racecar with history generally has been wrecked and rebuilt many times. It's just metal and fiberglass...get to fixin!
I agree, I went and looked at the 56 fairly closely and the entire rt front was significantly bent and pushed over to the point that the front shock tower was completely collapsed. Those frames are not overly strong and it was a very hard hit. As with just about every Corvette it is fixable and I am sure this one will be in the future.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:42 PM
jksvet
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by oldstyleGS
I ended up with one of the pistons and one of the 2011 LeMans programs from the silent auction. I wish I could've gotten more items but I dont have that much disposable income.
I got the Gavin signed polo shirt. Fortunately it was a medium. I tried to buy the set of Michelin tires, but the auctioneer didn't see me with my hand up in the air. He missed a couple other opportunities as well. He opened the bidding at a $1,000 on an item, and that lady put her hand up, and he immediately lowered it to $500. I haerd the guy in the Corvette paddock say that it raised $26,000 and the owner from the Muscle Milk car matched it. They seemed thrilled with the outcome.

Sure wish I could have got that set of tires though, as I'm do. Especially after being there for 4 days.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:46 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

working on uploading more pics, i want those brakes above zr1 brakes :drool:
Old 08-23-2011, 05:48 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by jksvet
I got the Gavin signed polo shirt. Fortunately it was a medium. I tried to buy the set of Michelin tires, but the auctioneer didn't see me with my hand up in the air. He missed a couple other opportunities as well. He opened the bidding at a $1,000 on an item, and that lady put her hand up, and he immediately lowered it to $500. I haerd the guy in the Corvette paddock say that it raised $26,000 and the owner from the Muscle Milk car matched it. They seemed thrilled with the outcome.

Sure wish I could have got that set of tires though, as I'm do. Especially after being there for 4 days.

awesome about owner of muscle milk car matching it!!!

they need to have these auctions every ALMS race would be a great fundraiser.

that set of mich tires did go decent @1400 as well for zr1 sizes

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette world tribute at Road America!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:59 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like you guys had a fun time

Randy
Old 08-23-2011, 05:59 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Looks like you guys had a fun time

Randy
did your old man have fun?
Old 08-23-2011, 09:49 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
I had the rare and exciting opportunity to be in the passenger seat of that wrecked C5. I can tell you that the driver has quite a bit of experience and is fairly quick. The car is a stock C5 LS1 with a few minor suspension and brake upgrades and race tires. As for what happened, we were heading toward the "hurry downs" with a C6 Z06 appoaching quickly. He pointed him bye before the carousel, but he didn't come around us. After we exited, I think he was looking in his mirrors to see if the Z was coming bye and was late on his turn in point. I knew we were in trouble before he ever turned the car. Unbelievably, my only injury is a minor skin burn from the belt rubbing just below my ribcage. The driver wasn't injured either. Honestly, I was expecting much worse. A testament to both the car and the track design. I know most of us, myself included, wonder why those walls are so close to the track. Even though we went nose first into the inside wall and it was a pretty hard hit, the track basically swept us along the concrete tunnel. I sat there for about a minute breathing the smelly airbag, realized I wasn't hurt at all, got out of the car and walked behind the wall.

Road America, like most tracks, can be very unforgiving. Respect her, be safe not a hero. Most of us don't have roll cages in our cars.
Robert
Robert, thanks so much for adding your personal perspective to this accident commentary. It is important to get all of the data on any incident. I am very glad that you and the driver were NOT injured. I hope this did not dim your ehthusiasm for Vintage racing

Quick Reply: Corvette world tribute at Road America!